What Should I Do With This Camera?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
probably most worried about intellectual property rights or something....

then again its likely he just wants it for a song then sell it to red for "posterity"

either that or the early software has some sorta military connection or borrowed from such via an enterprising early RED employee with a buddy working at some tech joint.

youd be stupid to play along unless its an intellectual property rights issue...

dude coulda been the one that "sold" it out from under the company after telling them it was "destroyed" then it may be a whole CYA thing....

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Ah I see what you guys are saying. I don't think that's the case. They're still emailing me from the company's domain and it's several different people included on the chain. I think the value of this camera is really dubious other than the cool factor. There's no real value beyond it's use as a camera.

I don't think it's an intellectually property thing either as the camera is 8 year old technology. What I think it could be is that they are concerned enough that it might be a prototype or pre-production camera that they want to ID it and the figure out how it got out of their controlled environment and ultimately into my hands.

I approached them though. So I wish they'd be a little more transparent about that. Right now it appears they're trying to play up the whole "let us help you" card so they ensure that they get it.

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
9189283.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'd be real hesitant to let it out of your hands. I also agree that you likely wouldn't get it back.

The thing is that if it's their camera they should have it. I just wish they'd be a little more transparent about their desire to get it back. I mean when I asked him about the different buttons he told me it looked like someone's home-brew frankenstein camera. When I pushed him on that he said they've seen people cobble together cameras from parts before.

Before they deleted the post that statement raised a red flag because it just doesn't make sense. What homebrew camera maker is making ever so slight different looking proprietary buttons that fit into a proprietary housing and look like they were made for that housing? I mean it just doesn't pass the sniff test. :rofl:

Who knows, maybe there's a camera enthusiast out there that also owns his own plastic button factory and has a lot of spare time. Stranger things have happened.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So I dropped it off earlier this week and yesterday they got back with me. They confirmed that the camera this one purported to be was indeed in long term storage and looked like it had been dragged through the jungle as that camera would have been. Mine basically looked new.

He then went on to tell me that the camera was basically a paperweight because it was never initialized before it left their location. He also said that the camera was never sold by them. Saying it was never "sold" by them is a sneaky way of admitting that it came from them, just that it was never something they sold. When I pushed him to elaborate on that he basically came straight out and said he couldn't comment beyond that. So basically at this point I'm assuming I ended up with some sort or prototype or pre-production model. I don't think they're being dishonest as he could have just as easily said it was nothing versus doing a word dance that more or less has them indirectly verifying that it came from them but wasn't sold which to me really hammers home the fact that it was some sort of prototype because the early beta cameras, including the one that I thought I had, were paid for.

That said, they offered to replace it with a working upgraded version of the same camera and that's a workable solution for me. I can't sell a prototype. I can't give a prototype away in a contest either. It's value is dubious unless it has some sort of verifiable history. I can sell a working upgraded camera though and I didn't pay very much for it at all so it all works out.

I wish he could have told me more about what I had but I understand why he can't.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info