What got you into cars?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
[MENTION=7]IDAFC21[/MENTION] and me became obsessed with making our shitboxes unique and "fast". I tossed a cowl hood on the car b/c I had grand plans for a big motor, etc. I was young, and an idiot. But thats all it took. That fucking car. It was all over after that.

Every day after school was like the start of a Le Mans race. Everyone running to their cars and tearing ass out of the parking lot :rofl:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I remember watching Smokey and the Bandit as a kid religiously. Knight Rider also helped. My mom and I were talking and she said I always had a hot wheels with me as a kid. I always played with cars. Hell looking back, I was adding things to my power wheels and my bikes as well. :rofl:

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Very similar to many here... As a kid in the late 70's and early 80's watching Speed Racer, Dukes, Knight Rider, Cannonball Run, Smokey and the Bandit, Hardcastle & McCormick, CHiPs, Fall Guy, NASCAR, Indy, putting together shitty plastic models, and having Hot Wheels tracks all around the house. When I was in my early teens, I had subscriptions to Motor Trend, Road & Track, Car & Driver, and Automobile. My dad got a new 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, then a 88 Mustang GT. And I got to learn to drive on those cars. That pretty much cemented the deal. Follow that up with arcade games like Hard Drivin' (the one with the clutch and manual trans) that I literally learned how to drive stick shift on, and the Gran Turismo games later on. I'm much more of a car guy than anyone else in my family, though.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
My dad used to race at U.S. 30 when I was a kid. I grew up in the back seat of a Grabber Green, '69 Mustang.

As a kid, working on cars with him were some of our best times together.

The love of all things automotive must have carried over a generation because my son drives a 6 speed turbo Focus ST.

iu
Yep that's what it was for me had a 68 road runner that I raced at us 30 plus hanging out at Blue Top in Highland In

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I think when I was younger, cars were always just "cool things". Then Grand Turismo came out and I really started to love racing, learning about cars, etc...My first car was a piece of shit Blazer but then my dad gave me his 3rd gen v6 firebird...I thought I was hot shit until it got wrecked. My dad surprised me with a immaculate 3rd gen Camaro. That was all it took.

[MENTION=7]IDAFC21[/MENTION] and me became obsessed with making our shitboxes unique and "fast". I tossed a cowl hood on the car b/c I had grand plans for a big motor, etc. I was young, and an idiot. But thats all it took. That fucking car. It was all over after that.

What's funny is that those 2.8/3.1 V6es are surprisingly turboable.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Always liked cars and Dukes was my favorite show as a kid. I remember in 8th grade (1989) all I wanted was a white Iroc with tinted windows, lol. My 1st real job after knocking my wife up at 16yrs old was Ziebart. I learned how to buff cars out, tint windows, alarms, sunroofs, stereos and rust proof while working there. Working on different cars 6 days a week also made my love for cars grow.

Bought my 1st car at 14yrs old of some hype in the hood for $60. Iirc it was a 1980 Chevette with no brakes at all. I would drive thru alleys as much as possible to get from point A to point B as I had no license and the car had no plates. Long story short I hit a Mercedes, took off and sent it to Victory.

After that it was mostly all G Bodies for me. Like others mentioned I had no money to pay to fix shit. Think I was making like $7hr and had a new born so money didnt go far. So pretty much taught myself how to repair my cars and luckily had access to tools and a lift at Ziebart. I remember having my exhaust rust out in certain areas and I would cut a soup can down the middle. Wrap it around the exhaust, throw 2 clamps on it and call it fixed, lol.

Once I started making decent money at Yellow Freight at 19yrs old ($18hr)
Thats when all the modding on everything I owned began. Bought my first brand new car a 1996 Neon and turned it in to a lowrider. Full paint job, interior, sounds and hydros rolling on 13" roadster wire wheels, lol.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

My uncle raced in the 8 cylinder class at raceway park.
We would go in our pajama's as little kids and fall asleep watching them.
As I got older I helped work on the car, and at 4-5 years old I knew all the nut & bolt sizes by sight,
and would fetch the wrench or socket he needed without him asking.

Went into the military and got invited to the dragstrip.
Even driving a slow as frick Camaro with a 307" and open 2.73 rear end that couldn't spin the tires, I was hooked.
After I got back from over seas we started driving up to the Grove with my next slightly faster,
but still slow as frick Camaro and built from there up to an expired NHRA P/S that was converted to a nitrous P/M and I've been broke ever since :p

I didn't have a father, like most of you had teaching you about cars, but my uncle racing 3 nights a week at raceway got me hooked.
Of course models, matchbox & slotcars were big back then also.

There was no video games like most of you had, that would have been amazing as a kid.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I think it was a multitude of reasons for me. I grew up watching Knight Rider, Dukes and Smokey and the Bandit. Later was Viper. We didn't have cable so KR was in syndication on channel 66. My brother was 9 years older than me so I got hand me down toys which included KITT. I had a ton of hotwheels as well. My Dad owned 2 gas stations when I was really young and had a 73 Vette for a few years and an 81 Trans Am very briefly. I remember a guy in my neighborhood had a brand new C4 as well. I was always drawn to cars.

As I got older my brother bought an IROC and I started to really like Vettes, Vipers then f-bodies since they were actually attainable. My dream car before I got my license was an LT1 Z28. In Jr. year I bought a 91 Firebird 305 that was beat to shit off of a buddy going to the Coast Guard then eventually bought a 92 GTA 350 from a guy in my screen printing class right before graduation. Every since then I've had some kind of toy.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
As a normal 80s boy growing up, I had a small collection of Hot Wheels and other car toys. My parents always took me to the Chicago Auto Show every year and that was always fun. Started getting car models as I got older, and of course posters was always a thing. I finally turned 16 and bought my 91 Grand Prix. I had friends that were big into cars and that crew is eventually what really got me into racing, showing, wrenching etc. I had discovered ClubGP, but wasn't big on it until by random chance on a trip to the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, I spotted GP4U2NV's Grand Prix in the parking lot. It was a car that I would later find out was featured in the Street Glow catalogs. I immediately became obsessed with my GP, and eventually everything cars.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Pretty much my dad. He’s had more cars than I can count. Watched all the old car shows and played dukes of hazard with my cousin on a daily basis. I’ve heard more stories of my dads 69 Chevelle and how he had no idea he bought one with the L88 motor. The night he got it he raced the fastest guy in his area of Georgia and beat him by car lengths with a slipping clutch.
My first car was an 81 3.1L V6 Camaro. Sold that for my dads step side square body. Was a straight six, so swapped in a GM crate 350. First week driving around got beat by an impala ss. Went home and ordered a cam, intake, and rockers. Haven’t been able to stop messing with my shit since.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
When I was a little kid. My uncle had a farm north of green Bay and in the summers my dad would load up his truck with tools and we'd go up there for weekends and they'd drink and work on the cars and after enough beer flowed they let us fuck around with the welders and shit. There was always cool shit. I remember he had a '37 Ford coupe a 55 Chevy pickup. He bought my cousin a '25 Pontiac (I may be off on the year) I remember sitting passenger seat pouring gas into a radiator bottle in front of me that was the "roadkill" fuel tank. Not at all safe but I was hooked on cars from those experiences on that farm.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Think cool motor vehicles were just in my DNA. I remember being obsessed with dirt bikes, cars, and motorcycles as far back as I can remember. My mom tells a story of when she couldn't find me when I was a one year old. I somehow got out of our condo and onto a Harley in the parking lot.

Having kids of my own, my boys were just instantly into cars/motorcycles right away. "Car" was one of the first words each one of them said, and they would go nuts over anything that looked remotely sporty.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I don't thing there was an a-ha moment here either. Just always been into them.

Aside from all the 80's car shows mentioned, it was just enjouing mechanics of things... Starting small and taking apart lawn mower engines on the front room floor. :D My mother was beyond thrilled...

Matchbox cars, models, go-karts, you name it...
I also took apart everything I could as a child. Mechanical things have always fascinated me and if I can take it apart, chances are I can put it back together.

I also think my love of bmx and bikes paved the way. When I bought my first car (my Buick) I had to tinker on a daily basis just to keep it going :rofl: while every other kid in my high school was all about f&f ricers I had this old big ugly v8 car that would instantly drown out any fart can in the lot on start up

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info