Vehicle Security Options, Alarms, GPS, etc.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Is anyone on here up to date on all the options out there for vehicle security that is currently available?

I'm going to be rewiring the Cobra with an all new wire harness so I want to try to incorporate some things into the plan so they are hardwired in and hidden as good as they can be. I am just not sure what is out there as I havent paid attention to that kind of thing in decades.

What brands of alarm are good these days? I know that they wont do everything to prevent people from messing with the car, but would like the system to lock/unlock the doors, pop the trunk, etc.

Car is going to be manual so no remote start I assume? I always park and leave it in first so I likely wouldn't want remote start anyway. :bowrofl:

Also, the bigger question is are there preferred GPS locating devices that have a battery backup that people are using? I'd like to be able to track the car if God forbid it was ever stolen. Want something that is also on a battery backup so they can't just disconnect the battery or something stupid easy to defeat it. Would hope for something smaller sized that can be easily hidden and buried in the car as well.

What's everyone using? Any suggestions? Pros/Cons?

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Is anyone on here up to date on all the options out there for vehicle security that is currently available?

I'm going to be rewiring the Cobra with an all new wire harness so I want to try to incorporate some things into the plan so they are hardwired in and hidden as good as they can be. I am just not sure what is out there as I havent paid attention to that kind of thing in decades.

What brands of alarm are good these days? I know that they wont do everything to prevent people from messing with the car, but would like the system to lock/unlock the doors, pop the trunk, etc.

Car is going to be manual so no remote start I assume? I always park and leave it in first so I likely wouldn't want remote start anyway. :bowrofl:

Also, the bigger question is are there preferred GPS locating devices that have a battery backup that people are using? I'd like to be able to track the car if God forbid it was ever stolen. Want something that is also on a battery backup so they can't just disconnect the battery or something stupid easy to defeat it. Would hope for something smaller sized that can be easily hidden and buried in the car as well.

What's going to be available in 2028 is going to be far superior to what's out there now. I'd suggest waiting until 2028 when the car is finished before buying anything.

World Series Laughing GIF by MLB

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation. :bowrofl:

Look in any/every thread. That's what Jimy Bilmo Jimbo does.

FWIW, I remember a buddy who did stereo and alarm install had remote start on manual cars, there are ways to bypass the clutch not being down, just gotta remember to leave it in neutral. I have heard of people forgetting it and remote starting to have the car jump and stall. This was back in the mid 00's with Subaru peeps I knew.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Also curious on this. I did some research about a year ago and Viper still seemed like they had a nice variety for a good set up. The GPS stuff will require a subscription for a good one. The more expensive the plan allowed for more specific tracking and you can set up alerts if your car leaves a certain pre determined area.

Reactions: FESTER665

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Look in any/every thread. That's what Jimy Bilmo Jimbo does.

FWIW, I remember a buddy who did stereo and alarm install had remote start on manual cars, there are ways to bypass the clutch not being down, just gotta remember to leave it in neutral. I have heard of people forgetting it and remote starting to have the car jump and stall. This was back in the mid 00's with Subaru peeps I knew.
There is also a neutral safety you can add too. So it bypasses the clutch AND has to be in neutral. If it is in gear, it wont work.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Seems pretty effective.

giphy-4133175334.gif

• Love
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
For your future Son-in-law hanging out with criminal elements (?), IIRC, it’s called something like “conduct unbecoming an officer”.
Okay then maybe it is true lol

I have a few friends who do alarms for a living including the dude who did shit work on my sounds. Talking to them and picking their brains thru out the years, most alarms are the same shit. Probably all made at the same factory just branded differently. Yes the more expensive ones probably have better remotes and hardware per say. I'll touch on a few points below

Yes you can override the clutch and add remote start, but I wouldnt lol.

If they want your car bad enough, they will get it. An alarm isnt going to stop people, will it slow them down, maybe, maybe not.
Tow truck, no fucking way will it slow them down lol.

Is battery backup needed, not imo for the reason I stated above. I had a battery backup siren on one of my cars and never needed it lol.
Guys used to crawl underneath and cut the power to the car or even going way back, they pulled your parking light, touched the terminals with a screw driver and shorted the car out. That would trigger the backup battery siren.

I would go with an alarm with all the features you want and add the "Drone" most if not all alarm shops can do it. I have it and I love it. It sends alerts to my phone fast af. So if someone does snatch it with a tow truck, I'll be on their ass within minutes if not seconds. Can setup maintenance alerts, tells you when your door/trunk is open, battery is low, temp in the car etc. I can control everything from my phone from Mexico if needed lol. I pay a yearly subscription for it as well, and worth every penny!

Definitely going to have to upgrade the stereo to something that will allow a backup camera cause Im planning on tinting that shit as dark as possible. :bowrofl:
Dont tint the windows if your planning on re-doing your interior. Let that shit be seen, I'm not a fan of tinting older cars when the interior is re-done. Just my .02.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Okay then maybe it is true lol

I have a few friends who do alarms for a living including the dude who did shit work on my sounds. Talking to them and picking their brains thru out the years, most alarms are the same shit. Probably all made at the same factory just branded differently. Yes the more expensive ones probably have better remotes and hardware per say. I'll touch on a few points below

Yes you can override the clutch and add remote start, but I wouldnt lol.

If they want your car bad enough, they will get it. An alarm isnt going to stop people, will it slow them down, maybe, maybe not.
Tow truck, no fucking way will it slow them down lol.

Is battery backup needed, not imo for the reason I stated above. I had a battery backup siren on one of my cars and never needed it lol.
Guys used to crawl underneath and cut the power to the car or even going way back, they pulled your parking light, touched the terminals with a screw driver and shorted the car out. That would trigger the backup battery siren.

I would go with an alarm with all the features you want and add the "Drone" most if not all alarm shops can do it. I have it and I love it. It sends alerts to my phone fast af. So if someone does snatch it with a tow truck, I'll be on their ass within minutes if not seconds. Can setup maintenance alerts, tells you when your door/trunk is open, battery is low, temp in the car etc. I can control everything from my phone from Mexico if needed lol. I pay a yearly subscription for it as well, and worth every penny!

Dont tint the windows if your planning on re-doing your interior. Let that shit be seen, I'm not a fan of tinting older cars when the interior is re-done. Just my .02.

I’m going to get one fro red eye when it comes in

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Shawn1112 Shawn1112 I've got a car I need you to pick-up for me. Cash deal....
Insurance jobs arent as easy as they used to be, technology ruined the fun in those lol. These MFers investigate the shit out of them now a days, they can tell you how the car was started last. Meaning if the key was used lol. Better off paying someone to carjack you and have the destroy the car.
FWIW I put a couple of those apple airtags in a few hard to get to spots on the Supra. A 4 pack is $100 and good for a year or more. Figured if a car thief found a couple them, they might not find them all.
If the thief has an iphone it will alert them that one is near by. They might find one of them but highly doubt they will find all 4 lol.

Guy are using tracking devices now a days to rob drug dealers. They watch their moves and eventually find their stash houses. Or they watch them make a big buy and just rob them right after.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info