Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
oh what a surprise, the guys that sell corn think we should use more corn as fuel. what does the market and science think though? oh, that corn is shit for fuel - which is exactly the reason why we have to push rules to force more corn into fuel. if it actually worked well, we wouldn't need to force it in now would we?

ethanol is economically feasible through other means (hemp, sugar, maybe switchgrass maybe algae?) but it is a negative from corn.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Uhh huh. They are researching it. However, corn based ethanol is the number 1 source of it. So until some big breakthrough comes out, they will use corn for the majority of ethanol.

sugar KILLS corn. it is corn because that's what is legally mandated and because sugar is punished, the same reason coke in other countries has sugar in it and coke here has corn syrup.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I know you arent comparing oil and corn. When is the last time you got a tub of oil at the movie theatre?? Oil on the cob?? Shall I keep going?

Nm, you don't understand analogy's cause your ignorance gets in the way. It would be disappointing if it was someone else. i just lost a dollar.... to myself. I can't wait to go see the newest flick with my favorite sludge sticks :picard:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
we should finally use the pig manure to make oil, that would not only make more jobs but it creates oil out of waste

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/33951/producing_oil_from_pig_manure.html

A typical hog on a modern American farm produces about six gallons of body waste per day. While some of this product is used for fertilizer, the storing and processing of the stuff has been a major environmental problem on modern hog farms. When manure leeches into a water supply due to runoff it harms aquatic life by decreasing the oxygen available to fish, water plants, and other organisms. And, of course, the smell can be just overpowering.

If Dr. Yuanhui Zhang is correct, a typical hog would be able to produce 3.6 gallons of crude oil per day using his process. With a hundred million hogs on American farms, it takes very little math to determine that “pig oil” could make a significant dent in the energy needs of the United States. And a farmer could add up to ten dollars of profit per pig.

esteinmaier

Dark Helmet
Jun 17, 2008
What you all don't realize is that with the much higher octane of ethanol vs. gasoline, engines can be designed with much higher compression, creating not only more power, but more efficiency. So yes, the ethanol contains less btus than gasoline, but if an engine is built for the fuel, you are only losing slight amounts of mileage. In the neighborhood of 5% for comparable displacement and flow efficiency.

I definitely agree that there are better sources of ethanol than corn, but it's our abundant resource right now, and if you can't spur interest in the product, it's hard for large corporations to fund the improvement into better technologies, such as manure, algae, etc.

I say use it and embrace it. The technology may not be where we want it to be, but computers weren't either once. Now look at where we have come with them. Fossil fuel is dying as a resource for the US, and our options are electric cars, or gaining freedom from our attachments to foreign oil with other fuels. I personally don't really like the idea of never being able to take a road trip again without stopping overnight to recharge every hundred miles.

That and the fun part is that Ethanol is race gas on the cheap. I'll be running 30psi+ of boost into my car this year on it, and only about half that would be possible on gasoline without blowing a large portion of the power out the tail pipe and heating my entire exhaust up to almost melting temperature.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
we don't use corn because we can grow so much, we only grow so much because the government is subsidizing it and the government is not allowing competition from brazilian sugar based ethanol. this will get even worse as water starts becoming a more costly/scarce resource, as the corn process is very water intensive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info