US Investigates Fatal Crash of Ford EV With Partially Automated Driving System

Slashdot

Regular
Sep 8, 2023
America's National Transportation Safety Board "is investigating a fatal crash in San Antonio, Texas, involving a Ford electric vehicle that may have been using a partially automated driving system," reports the Associated Press: The NTSB said that preliminary information shows a Ford Mustang Mach-E SUV equipped with the company's partially automated driving system collided with the rear of a Honda CR-V that was stopped in one of the highway lanes. Television station KSAT reported that the Mach-E driver told police the Honda was stopped in the middle lane with no lights on before the crash around 9:50 p.m. The 56-year-old driver of the CR-V was killed. "NTSB is investigating this fatal crash due to its continued interest in advanced driver assistance systems and how vehicle operators interact with these technologies," the agency statement said. Ford's Blue Cruise system allows drivers to take their hands off the steering wheel while it handles steering, braking and acceleration on highways. The company says the system isn't fully autonomous and it monitors drivers to make sure they pay attention to the road. It operates on 97% of controlled access highways in the U.S. and Canada, Ford says.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Continue reading...

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Blue cruise kind of sucks I don’t use it. And it makes you keep hand on wheel. You can take off for couple seconds then beeps at you. I’m surprised the actually collision warning system did not prevent. Butt stopped on highway no lights? Come on lol

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Blue cruise kind of sucks I don’t use it. And it makes you keep hand on wheel. You can take off for couple seconds then beeps at you. I’m surprised the actually collision warning system did not prevent. Butt stopped on highway no lights? Come on lol

I love hands free and use it everyday to and from Work on 294 and 80.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Ford requires you to watch, if you look away it yells at you. Also the collision avoidance is pretty aggressive so I'm confused by this. Also I don't trust skynet, I monitor it.
Yes that was my point. That sucker blares at you and blinks red and is definitely extra sensitive.

• Love
Reactions: EmersonHart13

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Yea wifey thinks I'm a bad driver because of it.

Not saying I'm good but I'm not that bad
Reaction GIF

• Haha
Reactions: bimmer4life

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I still fail to see how someone can just mindfuck and zone out while in auto-pilot and do fuckall while not being in tune with what's happening on the road around them.
I read some of the article but not all. Serious question did it say they were actually in the auto-pilot mode? I thought his was more about why the accident avoidance warning did not prevent this from happening. Those are two different things and discussions. Also not saying the driver should not have seen that car. But I can say for sure I have had something similar happen on a road not well lit and a car with no lights stopped and barely avoided it.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

Thread Info