🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yup. the diff has no pressure lubrication like most gears and bushings, the only source it has is splash lubrication /initial lube from sitting and all the fluid fills the trans to just above the axle seals.

the only lube is bleed by on the plantary gears/sun gear.

burnouts sling all the oil away and leave you with nothing while you start to gall the pins and really heat everything up.

the 4t65e has output components that stay the same size/reduce in dia as it nears the diff. oil slung out from the controlled hydraulic leak known as a auto trans doesnt drain towards the diff.
the 4t80e on the other hand has output drive components that get substantially larger as you get to the final drive (and Tq load increases). so oil slung from its planets/clutches at least can "run downhill" towards the FDR planetary attached to the diff and at least bathe the sun and ring gear.

id still probably run a squirter if i planned to do burnouts ..... though the 80e allows for enough room that i believe i have a far better chance at fitting in a true LSD/mech locker.

ive already experimented with a welded 80e.....unfirtunatly a tight turn with 295 mt's on the front of the riv shreeeedead the inner cv....fortunatly being locked you could still drive it with 1 wheel drive

i am especially interested in trying my hand at a real cheap idea i saw once. but its kinda hokey. basically its a sprung snapon toolbox caster on a skate that one side of the front end rides on to and from the lanes/topend.

i aint gonna lie though, easy diff acess so we can change out the FDR planets/diffs is designed in. i believe my main headache/fuse ill find is the passenger stub shaft breaking

but yeah id weld em and rollerskate to the line if it ever becomes necessary. i dont think it will be. im sure that 10secnever would agree with me on the "cross that bridge when we drive it there"

Reactions: GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
For whatever reason, most tracks around here have a 90° turn into the water box, so I'm sure with slicks I'd snap something if the diff was welded.

Think I could tig weld a diff squirter in? I had a transmission once that had it brazed in. But I think I've only brazed once in my life, and that setup is out at the farm.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I've been holding off on this update for awhile, waiting for parts.

I wasn't sure what to do about the diff, then I happened to stumble upon a gmr torsen a guy was selling in Canada. Luckily, he was willing to go through the hassle of shipping it to me. After about 3 weeks, it showed up today.

IMG_20210216_175140006.jpg

IMG_20210216_180206537.jpg

IMG_20210216_180605983.jpg

It was installed in a transmission by prj about 10 years ago. I'm trying to see if it has the bronze (or brass... can't remember) washers installed. Anyone know if there should be a washer on each side of the planetaries?

IMG_20210216_181344169.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I'm fairly certain that it should be bronze on both ends the worms wood likely provide thrust loads in both directions although maybe not....
only in one direction it would see loads for the most part....with you in reverse, The bronze washers wouldn't be as necessary in those thrust positions

Reactions: Rdrnnr and GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Ok, I talked to Paul about it. He didn't think it looked like the bronze washers were in there. But this diff is the updated version that has the lube channels cut in, so that helps a lot. He did say that one needs to be on each side of the gear, against the gear, and the metal washer against the housing.

He also gave me the part number, so I got those ordered.

p/n for washer kit is K75906A

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I'm at the point now with my lathe and milling machine but I guess I could just put an ARB air Locker into a 80E differential half.... since gm hydramatic was so nice to make the planetary section it's own part, due to the 3 final drive ratios being done with the final reduction planetary.

The Ford 9in has some of the smallest and most compact Locker setups out there I just need to get up to the Janesville swap meet since I'm probably never going to see the Schaumburg drag expo ever again.

I can tell you this much from comparing the design of the GM Torsen with the quave I would go with the Torsen any day of the week they actually have thrust loads surfaces for the helical gears where is the Quaife the helical gears butt ends and just seem to kind of grind each other away

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Ok now I see where this is goin...if anybodys ever gonna build an 80e fwd tranny I'll put 20 on it bein here and you two havin your hands in it tho.

This is the kinda stuff that makes me miss the days of runnin around forces old yorba linda shop gettin yelled at for pickin up girls and sneakin off at the track to have a smoke.

Thread Info