Metamora

beec1a57-1418-45c9-b4c4-5dedc1c379a6_text.gif

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
GF flew out to Vail Colorado last week on AA. The door was not closing on the Airbus A319 and that delayed them out of ORD waiting for mechanics to fix it with bungee cords. Once they arrived in Vail another Airbus landed that was diverted from LAX on the way to Chicago due to a mechanical issue.

While these "issues" are not as serious as a plane sliding off a runway or door opening during flight, stuff does happen more than we think. It's just trendy for the news to report on it because UA or Boeing is involved.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
going to Singapore in June. 17 hour flight, flying standby, sooo whatever United planes have seats lol. Hope we dont lose a door or become the next MH370 for that shareholder value.

I didn't know you could get to Singapore in 17, are they going direct now? Last time I went I had to go through Japan or China and it was 20+ hours for the whole thing.

Dude, what are you going to do if you get stuck in a middle seat for that long LOL?!?!

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Boeing again....

Their CEO finally stepped down. He was a disciple of Jack Welch, so not surprising to see what a shit show he turned Boeing into.

wondering at what point their stock becomes worth buying

I didn't know you could get to Singapore in 17, are they going direct now? Last time I went I had to go through Japan or China and it was 20+ hours for the whole thing.

Dude, what are you going to do if you get stuck in a middle seat for that long LOL?!?!
the longest flight in the world is JFK to SIN, nearly 19 hours iirc.

LAX and SFO have both been going to SIN for a while. they are in the top 15. singapore airlines runs all these, apparently there is a united to SIN as well from SFO.

in 2022 i did:
JNB-SIN (10.5 hours) premium economy
3h layover
SIN-SFO (14.5 hours) economy

i think i had not flown a route over 3h in economy for at least 5 years by then. i'm 200 lbs 6'2" and neither of these were fun. it was on the latter flight i decided 9h is my limit and i'd be doing my absolute best to never fly economy again for anything 10+. well other than straight paying for a ticket outright, cuz i'm still cheap :D

i recently did book some economy tickets;
bkk-doh-nbo (7 + 5), $644
kul-doh-ath (8 + 5), $370

i'm hoping for some cheap cash upgrade (maybe points? i have BA avios that can transfer to QR) or being oneworld sapphire (maybe emerald by then) to help out. although i don't think QR will give any shits about upgrading me for that. it's more like my lounge options are a little nicer there. the athens deal is pretty cheap.

i'm looking at booking SQ now to go from LAX or SFO to BKK. some routes hop through SIN, other routes hop through tokyo and SIN. the ones that hop through tokyo have a stop, but keep the same plane number. so technically they are direct, but not non-stop, although most people use these terms interchangeably.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
going to Singapore in June. 17 hour flight, flying standby, sooo whatever United planes have seats lol. Hope we dont lose a door or become the next MH370 for that shareholder value.
do you work at united or have friends/family there?

are you able to see/have friend see load factors for planes so you can look for ones that will have open seats?

this can be done with paid services (eg. expertflyer) but insider would be sweet.

i consider this guy pretty dumb for putting this all out there, including the articles:

that one is loading like shit for me so also

i am curious about the upgrades in particular.

eg. even a united top tier status (i assume it works like AA and others) doesn't get free upgrades on an international flight. so why would an employee on standby? like how does one get into that tier where they would both be 1. on the plane and 2. eligible for a free upgrade up?

if i could work for united [remotely] and had access to internal data, i would quite literally just write a little program to run every day and tell me/predict for me which flights i would get on and get upgraded on, and just zoom around the planet :D

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg

I think total air time is 17ish, we're planning to connect thru San Fran. If I got a middle seat, I will have to suffer but I'll be ok LOL.

do you work at united or have friends/family there?

are you able to see/have friend see load factors for planes so you can look for ones that will have open seats?

this can be done with paid services (eg. expertflyer) but insider would be sweet.

i consider this guy pretty dumb for putting this all out there, including the articles:

that one is loading like shit for me so also

i am curious about the upgrades in particular.

eg. even a united top tier status (i assume it works like AA and others) doesn't get free upgrades on an international flight. so why would an employee on standby? like how does one get into that tier where they would both be 1. on the plane and 2. eligible for a free upgrade up?

if i could work for united [remotely] and had access to internal data, i would quite literally just write a little program to run every day and tell me/predict for me which flights i would get on and get upgraded on, and just zoom around the planet :D

that kid is living it up, dad's seniority put him high on the non rev standby list, and agreed he probably should be laying low lol. There is/was a code of conduct, but over the years it has relaxed. For instance all employees and family/party used to be required to wear business attire, no jeans, t-shirts, shorts, and if not were turned away. Now you can arrive in pajamas lol.

My wife's parents worked there for a few decades, now retired but kept some of their flight benefits that are extended to immediate family. When they were employed they had high seniority, so generally were atop the standby list. They can check systems and see all the flights, available crew, open seats, inbound connections for that particular flight, etc., all different strategies to play chance of getting a seat. Say a flight missed an inbound connection due to weather, boom a bunch of seats just opened, but on the flip side it can also screw you over. This insider info saved us a few times though, we almost got stuck flying out of Aruba once. We knew 20 mins before they announced the flight crew was going to turn illegal.... so we ran over to the AA ticket line. Avoided having to spend another night on that island, all paying passengers were comp'ed of course (nice hotel too) but we would have been on our own. Another small risk to non rev standby, especially remote places.

For international flights, generally offer more open seats, and if the front isn't upgraded to paying customers, then they will put standby employees/family in first class seats, followed by biz, then economy, all depending on weight. I'm being told for flights to Singapore, the issue isn't getting a seat, it has higher chances of going overweight due to cargo, so then there is that.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I think total air time is 17ish, we're planning to connect thru San Fran. If I got a middle seat, I will have to suffer but I'll be ok LOL.

that kid is living it up, dad's seniority put him high on the non rev standby list, and agreed he probably should be laying low lol. There is/was a code of conduct, but over the years it has relaxed. For instance all employees and family/party used to be required to wear business attire, no jeans, t-shirts, shorts, and if not were turned away. Now you can arrive in pajamas lol.

My wife's parents worked there for a few decades, now retired but kept some of their flight benefits that are extended to immediate family. When they were employed they had high seniority, so generally were atop the standby list. They can check systems and see all the flights, available crew, open seats, inbound connections for that particular flight, etc., all different strategies to play chance of getting a seat. Say a flight missed an inbound connection due to weather, boom a bunch of seats just opened, but on the flip side it can also screw you over. This insider info saved us a few times though, we almost got stuck flying out of Aruba once. We knew 20 mins before they announced the flight crew was going to turn illegal.... so we ran over to the AA ticket line. Avoided having to spend another night on that island, all paying passengers were comp'ed of course (nice hotel too) but we would have been on our own. Another small risk to non rev standby, especially remote places.

For international flights, generally offer more open seats, and if the front isn't upgraded to paying customers, then they will put standby employees/family in first class seats, followed by biz, then economy, all depending on weight. I'm being told for flights to Singapore, the issue isn't getting a seat, it has higher chances of going overweight due to cargo, so then there is that.
i'm curious what i would have access to joining as a newb. i'm less interested in the standby and more interested in the upgrade rules, since it is crazy to me that even this non-employee non-revenue person is able to both on the plane (not too crazy) and upgraded (crazy to me). i wonder if that also applies to partners? i would also feel like that is the chance of the front of the plane is being lowered now, given that airlines are now auctioning off those seats in bids or selling them discounted leading up to or at check in. some airlines you can still upgrade once you have sat down in the plane (emirates iirc)

i just transfered a few missing miles over to SQ and am hoping to get on a 107k point waitlist SFO-SIN-BKK flight. i've never explored the jewel so i'll probably budget some time in there for it.

I'm in a Boeing 787 to Germany on Friday, and on a 747 back next week. 🤖
my first points flight was a british airways 747 from chicago to london, in the nose. it was not my best usage of points, but it was awesome for a first time. i don't think i have any pictures or anything from it. it was fun and memorable. i'm struggling to think if i've been on one since, and can't think of any time. a handful of a380s but i think no 747s. flying to chicago? i thought they were very rarely there. same with a380s, i don't think i've ever taken one to ORD. thought in part because the size of both made them a pain.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
i'm curious what i would have access to joining as a newb. i'm less interested in the standby and more interested in the upgrade rules, since it is crazy to me that even this non-employee non-revenue person is able to both on the plane (not too crazy) and upgraded (crazy to me). i wonder if that also applies to partners? i would also feel like that is the chance of the front of the plane is being lowered now, given that airlines are now auctioning off those seats in bids or selling them discounted leading up to or at check in. some airlines you can still upgrade once you have sat down in the plane (emirates iirc)

i just transfered a few missing miles over to SQ and am hoping to get on a 107k point waitlist SFO-SIN-BKK flight. i've never explored the jewel so i'll probably budget some time in there for it.

my first points flight was a british airways 747 from chicago to london, in the nose. it was not my best usage of points, but it was awesome for a first time. i don't think i have any pictures or anything from it. it was fun and memorable. i'm struggling to think if i've been on one since, and can't think of any time. a handful of a380s but i think no 747s. flying to chicago? i thought they were very rarely there. same with a380s, i don't think i've ever taken one to ORD. thought in part because the size of both made them a pain.

couldn't tell you what they provide, it would depend on your job there. Also newb employees would be lowest priority for standby, which will be a challenge in itself. These benefits extend to immediate family/per employee. From my experience, its rare to score first/biz on routine domestic flights, better on a regional jumper, and best chances on international. The "rules" seem to go revenue > rev standby > rev upgrade. Non rev employees with a vacation pass (equivalent to a paid ticket) > non revenue based on seniority. So yeah after all that is said and done, employee/party fills the remaining seats from front to back.

Reactions: sickmint79

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004

I'm flying Lufthansa back from Germany on the 747.....Frankfurt to O'Hare.

• Care
Reactions: sickmint79

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Flew Frankfurt to ORD in a 787 on Saturday. First time in a Dreamliner. Nice plane. I flew an A350 to Munich the previous Sunday. That flight was better just because I was in Economy+. Both flights were unremarkable. All said and done I was on 5 flights in 6 days. I fly out to MCO on a United A321 NEO and and back on a B737-900 next month.

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Flew Frankfurt to ORD in a 787 on Saturday. First time in a Dreamliner. Nice plane. I flew an A350 to Munich the previous Sunday. That flight was better just because I was in Economy+. Both flights were unremarkable. All said and done I was on 5 flights in 6 days. I fly out to MCO on a United A321 NEO and and back on a B737-900 next month.

I was on one of United's A321 NEO's a couple weeks ago coming back from Houston. Nice plane....the seats seem wider than other United flights I've been on.

Has a goofy/trippy ceiling pattern going down the aisle.

Reactions: Lead Pipe

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
who'd you fly on to germany? any upgrade offers before flight or when checking in?

only one i've been offered and taken thus far was LAX-HND ~12 hours for $555 on united to go from economy to polaris. this was the same week as JNB-SIN-SFO all in economy, so i was pretty pleased with the upgrade offer

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
who'd you fly on to germany? any upgrade offers before flight or when checking in?

only one i've been offered and taken thus far was LAX-HND ~12 hours for $555 on united to go from economy to polaris. this was the same week as JNB-SIN-SFO all in economy, so i was pretty pleased with the upgrade offer
Lufthansa. I flew all Star Alliance. Luft, LOT and United on my trip. It was $180 upgrade to Economy+. Flight was pretty empty as it was Easter night but Economy+ was totally full. Tried to upgrade on the United flight back but it was packed and my bullshit travel liaison at work booked up economy middle seats for a 9 hour flight...

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Lufthansa. I flew all Star Alliance. Luft, LOT and United on my trip. It was $180 upgrade to Economy+. Flight was pretty empty as it was Easter night but Economy+ was totally full. Tried to upgrade on the United flight back but it was packed and my bullshit travel liaison at work booked up economy middle seats for a 9 hour flight...
i have never flown lot, how did you like it?

how was the united premium economy? i have found my flight attendants, in biz, to have been consistently grumpy lol.

i've done SIN, JAL, and AA premium economy. i found it to be just slightly better than economy really, to the point where 10 hours is 10 hours and still is not comfortable in either. so to justify premium it has to be 1. much cheaper than prices i typically find it at and 2. i expect to be clawing back some of the cost via higher fare earning points. most of the time the price just doesn't seem worth it to me.

the class certainly seems to be taking off and making them a lot of profits though. i will say JAL's was particularly nice in that you are in a shell seat where the person behind you is not affected by recline, plus you get access to JAL lounges. iirc only JAL, ANA, and SAS (with much less interesting ones) give you access to a lounge for flying premium economy.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
i have never flown lot, how did you like it?

how was the united premium economy? i have found my flight attendants, in biz, to have been consistently grumpy lol.

i've done SIN, JAL, and AA premium economy. i found it to be just slightly better than economy really, to the point where 10 hours is 10 hours and still is not comfortable in either. so to justify premium it has to be 1. much cheaper than prices i typically find it at and 2. i expect to be clawing back some of the cost via higher fare earning points. most of the time the price just doesn't seem worth it to me.

the class certainly seems to be taking off and making them a lot of profits though. i will say JAL's was particularly nice in that you are in a shell seat where the person behind you is not affected by recline, plus you get access to JAL lounges. iirc only JAL, ANA, and SAS (with much less interesting ones) give you access to a lounge for flying premium economy.
LOT was the shortest flight. Warsaw to Vilnius on an E175. Basically an up/down. My co-worker flew direct from ORD to Warsaw on a LOT 787 in economy and refused to do it again so we had a layover in Munich this time. I thought they were fine and would fly direct next time on LOT but would absolutely need to upgrade to premium economy. I didn't fly premium on United, only Lufthansa and for a 7-9 hour European flight, that is the only way to go, IMO. It's not long enough to need the lay flat beds of business but is long enough to appreciate the wider seats and more recline. I was in the middle seat of a middle section on a 3-3-3- flight both ways. Economy on the way back absolutely sucked. Economy plus was well worth it as I wasn't physically touching anyone and had access to both arm rests. I had the bulkhead row so I could get up and move around with out bothering anyone too. For the extra $180 it was 100% worth it. I told my boss that I need Economy+ over the pond from here on out and he's fine with it. My flight to Munich was pretty empty, like people laying across rows in economy. Economy+ was full and business was 1/2 so I can see that class taking off.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
LOT was the shortest flight. Warsaw to Vilnius on an E175. Basically an up/down. My co-worker flew direct from ORD to Warsaw on a LOT 787 in economy and refused to do it again so we had a layover in Munich this time. I thought they were fine and would fly direct next time on LOT but would absolutely need to upgrade to premium economy. I didn't fly premium on United, only Lufthansa and for a 7-9 hour European flight, that is the only way to go, IMO. It's not long enough to need the lay flat beds of business but is long enough to appreciate the wider seats and more recline. I was in the middle seat of a middle section on a 3-3-3- flight both ways. Economy on the way back absolutely sucked. Economy plus was well worth it as I wasn't physically touching anyone and had access to both arm rests. I had the bulkhead row so I could get up and move around with out bothering anyone too. For the extra $180 it was 100% worth it. I told my boss that I need Economy+ over the pond from here on out and he's fine with it. My flight to Munich was pretty empty, like people laying across rows in economy. Economy+ was full and business was 1/2 so I can see that class taking off.
i struggle what to pick for economy as i'm tall, but also being able to lean on the plane can be nice. i definitely haven't done a middle longer than 2h anywhere in a very long time. 9h is rough trying to avoid both your neighbors :D $180 for premium seems worth it every time, i pretty much never see it that low.

just priced out bkk-sfo one way, same day starlux is 636 economy, 1071 premium economy
tun-ord exactly same luft united through fra in econ/premium/biz is 537/1032/1224

usually the gap between any economy and biz is bigger, but i am surprised to see this jump from economy to premium which is typical. i can't justify it at this price difference unless it is nicer, it does seem like they are generally working on making it nicer though.

as an aside the cheapest star alliance business flight w/1 stop may 6 is fra-lis-ord for $1509, the nonstop united fra-ord is $5821. flying tun-fra-ord though - on the exact same united plane - is $1188. 2h economy flight fra-tun is $300. would i fly to tunis so that my biz flight earns biz miles and is confirmed for a $4700 price break..?

i will be in december for my christmas trip home, going to athens/tunis then home for the holidays. i have a tunis roundtrip to ohare for christmas, then a tunis to my thai island trip both booked.

by my calculations this part of my christmas trip will cost me $2749 and valuing chase and alaska miles i'll earn at 2 cents apiece, will result in $2036 worth of points, and flying 22k miles in business class. at the end of the year i'm going to see if anyone on reddit or flyertalk got to top tier status for cheaper than me.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
i struggle what to pick for economy as i'm tall, but also being able to lean on the plane can be nice. i definitely haven't done a middle longer than 2h anywhere in a very long time. 9h is rough trying to avoid both your neighbors :D $180 for premium seems worth it every time, i pretty much never see it that low.

just priced out bkk-sfo one way, same day starlux is 636 economy, 1071 premium economy
tun-ord exactly same luft united through fra in econ/premium/biz is 537/1032/1224

usually the gap between any economy and biz is bigger, but i am surprised to see this jump from economy to premium which is typical. i can't justify it at this price difference unless it is nicer, it does seem like they are generally working on making it nicer though.

as an aside the cheapest star alliance business flight w/1 stop may 6 is fra-lis-ord for $1509, the nonstop united fra-ord is $5821. flying tun-fra-ord though - on the exact same united plane - is $1188. 2h economy flight fra-tun is $300. would i fly to tunis so that my biz flight earns biz miles and is confirmed for a $4700 price break..?

i will be in december for my christmas trip home, going to athens/tunis then home for the holidays. i have a tunis roundtrip to ohare for christmas, then a tunis to my thai island trip both booked.

by my calculations this part of my christmas trip will cost me $2749 and valuing chase and alaska miles i'll earn at 2 cents apiece, will result in $2036 worth of points, and flying 22k miles in business class. at the end of the year i'm going to see if anyone on reddit or flyertalk got to top tier status for cheaper than me.
My guess is since it was corporate and we use Amex Global Business Travel to book all of our flights, we may get a discount. It worked in my favor for the upgrade but fucked me on the way back. All of my flights (ORD-MUC-WAW, WAW-VNO, VNO-FRA-ORD) was like $1800 before upgrades and seat assignments.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
yeah i'm sure you have access to more discounted fare buckets to plod around in on a corporate fare. i'm straight up buying whatever i can find, i'm not sure if it is any better but employees have a work portal. i am a contractor so i come up with a reasonable budget and get it approved, then use it to construct what i plan to actually do, which either is the same thing or is something with a nicer seat that comes out of my pocket.

i'm curious as to how much the fare bucket is accounted for on upgrade offers. my $555 aa upgrade was from premium economy to biz. if i was in economy would it have been $700? or $555? i think this varies by airline.

Thread Info