Uh-oh Tesla

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
That and the quick recharge ability similar to throwing $20 of gas in, isn't there yet.

Range Anxiety is long gone with Tesla, but I still can't hit an electric station that is on every corner and have 3/4 (or more) of a battery charge (from a 1/4 charge for example) in 5 minutes time yet.

I don't think I'd say long gone... where my wife is from there isn't a supercharger nearby at all. we go there 6-8 times per year. I've shown in other threads where it'd take me FOREVER to get down there for one, and two, i'd have to be concerned with not being able to charge/finding a charger. sure some nissan dealer within 30 miles of her hometown has a J1772 charger, but i'm not going to dick around waiting 7 hours to "refill"

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I mean Ferrari could build cheap cars too if they stripped the car of features. The $35K Model 3 has been stripped of a lot of basic luxury content. That's fine for people that want a basic car, but from my point of view Tesla is making an already bottom of the class interior cheaper.

Standard Interior Includes:

Manual seat and steering adjustment
Cloth seats and base trim
Basic audio
Standard maps and navigation
Center console with storage and 4 USB ports

You’re forgetting for $2000 more you get heated vegan leather and upgraded audio/infotainment as well as more range. That’s the sweet spot for budget conscious people.

I think if I were to buy one today I would realistically buy the Dual motor long range. Of course I want the performance, but I don’t know if I can justify $10,000 more for it.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
You’re forgetting for $2000 more you get heated vegan leather and upgraded audio/infotainment as well as more range. That’s the sweet spot for budget conscious people.

I think if I were to buy one today I would realistically buy the Dual motor long range. Of course I want the performance, but I don’t know if I can justify $10,000 more for it.

The dual motor long range interests me as well. I am hoping that at some point here Tesla updates the front bumper and interior.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Correct. Mileage really is not much of an issue. Getting the features you want on a used one can be challenging. Like I said before I don’t really agree with how Tesla does their upgrades and pricing. They do things mid year, mid week, mid production and don’t say anything.

So 2 2016 models could be vastly different. One may have the face lift, one may not, one may have a better Interior when they made the switch to the better premium seats, the other may not. Etc etc.

While on paper both of those cars have the premium package and you may think are identical. But they are not.

It is a downfall for them in my opinion and I do not agree with it.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
A perfect example of the above is the new MCU upgrade. Tesla quietly introduced a better computer quite literally mid week. I received the new computer, while people who’s cars went into production 2 weeks before me did not. It caused a huge uproar on the Tesla forums. Same cars, same years, same everything. One has the computer from the 2012 cars and mine has the brand new 2018 version.

Just doesn’t make sense.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I mean at dual motor long range price though- aren't you into solid used S territory ?

It's not like mileage is supposed to matter on these things anyways, right?

Correct. Mileage really is not much of an issue. Getting the features you want on a used one can be challenging. Like I said before I don’t really agree with how Tesla does their upgrades and pricing. They do things mid year, mid week, mid production and don’t say anything.

So 2 2016 models could be vastly different. One may have the face lift, one may not, one may have a better Interior when they made the switch to the better premium seats, the other may not. Etc etc.

While on paper both of those cars have the premium package and you may think are identical. But they are not.

It is a downfall for them in my opinion and I do not agree with it.

I don't know tesla like all ya'll do but... for example, would this be a solid comparison to a new awd model 3 with similar range/autopilot, etc?

I mean, purely face value- at the same money, you're getting a MUCH better looking car, larger car, a better/similar warranty, and whatever else you can fill me in on.

WbT1AXD.png

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Yea I would say that’s a good value when comparing the 2. Depends what’s been replaced on this one. The earlier models struggled with random issues due to cheaper parts like MikeK eluded to in another thread. The new models are far better in terms of build quality.

With that being said Tesla was very good about replacing these know issues on cars. So if you came in for 1 door handle not working, a lot of times they would change out all 4.

But on paper yea good deal, and I was a fan of the tan interiors

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yea I would say that’s a good value when comparing the 2. Depends what’s been replaced on this one. The earlier models struggled with random issues due to cheaper parts like MikeK eluded to in another thread. The new models are far better in terms of build quality.

With that being said Tesla was very good about replacing these know issues on cars. So if you came in for 1 door handle not working, a lot of times they would change out all 4.

But on paper yea good deal, and I was a fan of the tan interiors

I mean, it's a 15, it's not that early of a model right?

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I don't know tesla like all ya'll do but... for example, would this be a solid comparison to a new awd model 3 with similar range/autopilot, etc?

I mean, purely face value- at the same money, you're getting a MUCH better looking car, larger car, a better/similar warranty, and whatever else you can fill me in on.

WbT1AXD.png

You are getting 40 miles less range not to mention the older slower infotainment computer. Otherwise that’s a pretty good deal.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
As an investor I must say- what the fuck is the board doing? Lowering vehicle prices and closing “dealerships” actually made sense.... I’m thinking them saying they are keeping them open is nothing but bowing to the critics saying “Tesla is closing, Tesla is doomed”. But raising the vehicle prices? I mean they will still be lower than they initially were but goddamn, it’s like a circus in that board room

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info