🏡 Better Homes TV Mounting Question

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Unfortunately, this house's exterior walls are cinder block filled with cement. There aren't any studs, just drywall and then the concrete/cinder block. I bought a TV mounting kit that was for either stud or cement.

My hesitation is that the lag bolts that came with the kit might be short by the thickness of the drywall. I would imagine I should have the same amount of bolt into the wall as if there was no drywall in front of it. Should I buy lag bolts that are another .5" longer? Also, do I need anchors in the cement for the bolts or do I just screw the lag bolts directly into the cement?

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Unfortunately, this house's exterior walls are cinder block filled with cement. There aren't any studs, just drywall and then the concrete/cinder block. I bought a TV mounting kit that was for either stud or cement.

My hesitation is that the lag bolts that came with the kit might be short by the thickness of the drywall. I would imagine I should have the same amount of bolt into the wall as if there was no drywall in front of it. Should I buy lag bolts that are another .5" longer? Also, do I need anchors in the cement for the bolts or do I just screw the lag bolts directly into the cement?
I think the walls are only partially filled with concrete and not all the way up, I could be wrong on that. Any new builds in the area you could reference?

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Are you sure there are no studs? Generally they will always frame it with at least 2x2 then hang the drywall to the studs also it provides space to run electrical. It would be crazy to mount drywall to cinder. Take forever to drill and screw all that.

I’d just use time tapcons, drill, and screw those in. They will work in cinder even if it’s filed with concrete.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Are you sure there are no studs? Generally they will always frame it with at least 2x2 then hang the drywall to the studs also it provides space to run electrical. It would be crazy to mount drywall to cinder. Take forever to drill and screw all that.

I’d just use time tapcons, drill, and screw those in. They will work in cinder even if it’s filed with concrete.
Thats how my basement is framed on the outer walls

Reactions: LikeABauce302

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Most basements in the midwest would have studs if done properly. There's no way drywall hardware would attach to cinder and tapcon screws aren't going to hold drywall right. Frank is right you need to run electrical and plubming and don't forget vapor barrier or insulation... it has to be framed.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Most basements in the midwest would have studs if done properly. There's no way drywall hardware would attach to cinder and tapcon screws aren't going to hold drywall right. Frank is right you need to run electrical and plubming and don't forget vapor barrier or insulation... it has to be framed.
He is in Florida, but I agree with everything said

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I learned something new today. Looks like furring strips are typically 1x3? Quick google search says you can mount a TV to them, but what's the spacing? Is it more than 24"? I ask because you'll def want to catch at least two of them.

You really don't have a choice, even if they're smaller than 1x3 you'd have 3/8" of drywall then another 2"+ gap from the drywall to the cinderblock so you're not gonna get a good mounting surface.

That's interesting, I'm curious how they insulate those houses.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
As mentioned above, I'd go directly into the concrete block with screws sized for it. Don't want to trust a TV to furring strips, IMO. I mounted my big screen to an interior wall that I built and I put a solid, double 2X4 framework in the wall for the TV. I could do pullups on my mount if I wanted to. Worked out well because I ran the wires from a junction box right behind the TV through the wall down to another junction box at electrical outlet level behind my entertainment center that has the cable boxes on it. No wires visible.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
My neighborhood is an older build 99-00’ year cinder and drywall, just asked my neighbor who hung a 70-80” tv on the wall and he used those snap toggle to hold the bracket.
He doesnt have the room for those behind the drywall if they used firring strips. 3" Tapcons into the cinder block 2 in each corner and 2 in the middle. New TV's dont weigh shit, so that will be plenty

Reactions: FESTER665
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info