to iPhone, or not to iPhone?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
downtown elgin. i usually get terrible reception in our office compared to everywhere else. dunno why 3g tests so slow. i can blaze around the net usually.

3g (full signal) - i normally see around .7x down
177 ping
.34 down / .29 down

4g - normally see 9-10mbps down out of the office
78 ping
4.89 down / 1.79s down

wifi - att dsl
74 ping
4.76 down / .78 up

So I'm not terribly off your 4g speeds then. It would be interesting to see a comparison in the same area.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yeah. I've been reading that you can unlock the phones at an AT&T outlet. They're apparently being sold unlocked from Apple now. Hmmm...

The iPhone 4 is not a dual-band phone. The model you purchased is either GSM (ATT) or CDMA (Verizon). You MAY be able to use an unlocked Verizon iPhone 4 on Sprint (also CDMA) if you have it unlocked, but I didn't spot any clear/obvious answer to this.

The iPhone 4S is a dual-band phone, but comes locked to a carrier. Rumor has it that you can unlock a 4S to work on anyone, but the iPhone 4 (Non S) physically does not have the components inside of it to run on either network.

Personally I don't like sprint, and wouldn't get an iPhone on Sprint regardless:

"Sprint Is Worst Network for IPhone, Study Says":

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mobiledia/2011/12/06/sprint-is-worst-network-for-iphone-study-says/

"The iPhone’s top data speed on AT&T’s network was twice as fast the top speed it reached on Verizon and Sprint, according to a study done by Apple Insider. Meanwhile, Verizon proved to offer the best overall coverage on the device, providing service in the most areas.

Sprint, however, offered the slowest data speeds and worst overall coverage “by far” in the areas tested in the study."

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
76edaa71.jpg

COME AT ME BRO

POST UP

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
All I know is that when I've tested an iPhone vs. my Epic 4g in Chicago, the Epic pwned the iPhone

3G > "4G"? NO WAY!!!!!!

Other then that, it is all preference for OS and such. Ive beat on my previous iphones and numerous drops, without cases, and they are still kicking to this day with their new owners.

Here is Verizons speed test. Inside my house. Ill test when I get closer to work since I work in VH.

601c96fe.jpg

I never thought I would say this, but I miss ATT. :io: Even if it was for voice/data at the same time.

If I had to go with sprint, I wouldnt get the iphone either.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
4s. Just get apple care, carrier insurance sucks. $99 upfront and a brand new replacement from apple if it gets broken, or $10 a month ($220 over 2 years) and have to deal with assurian or whatever sprint uses if it breaks. Cancelled my carrier insurance when I switched from droid.

what is the advantage of going iphone? why is it all the rage right now?

Because the iPhone is like the rice/r of the smart phone world. Sure, it's a good phone, and some of the owners are actually series about Apple and appreciate the company for what it is, but the majority of owners are douchebags that don't know anything about smart phones (or technology in general, for that matter), and are just jumping on another "it's cool, different" hipster/yuppy/psuedo-hippy bandwagon trend. I have nothing against the iPhone itself. I just can't stand the average misinformed "the iPhone is the end all-be all of smart phones for reasons I'm too cool to explain (aka I don't know)" fanboys/girls.

Anycrap, as others mentioned, if you're going to use the phone as your modem, you probably don't want to go iPhone. Right now, I think the Galaxy S2 is the best android phone out there. You don't want the Evo 3D. I wanted one since a couple of family members have the Evo 4G, and love them, but after really researching and playing around with the Evo 3D...it's actually a step DOWN in most respects. It uses 2 crappier 5mp cameras for the 3D effect vs. the single better 8mp found on the other HTC products, the pictures often come out blurry due to some issue with it constantly trying to refocus (have to snap the pic at just the right time to avoid the blur of the focusing), video looks terrible compared to the S2, speaker volume is really low, only has 1GB internal memory vs. 16GB in the S2, has a shorter battery life, much dimmer screen compared to the Super AMOLED on the S2, etc.

If you absolutely have to have a new phone right now, I'd go with the S2. It's more than enough fire power and feature loaded for the vast majority of smart phone users for some time to come. However, if you can wait a few months and want something even crazier, the S3 should be coming out soon. It'll have a 1.8ghz processor with 2gb RAM vs. 1.2ghz/1gb, 12mp camera, 720p screen resolution, FLEXIBLE Super AMOLED screen, etc. Overkill for most, but something to think about.

Also, whatever you decide to go with, the best prices I've seen on most phones is on https://www.amazon.com/?tag=tcg21-20. The S2 from Sprint is $80 right now!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Because Android is like the rice/r of the smart phone world. Sure, it's a good phone, and some of the owners are actually series about Google and appreciate the company for what it is, but the majority of owners are douchebags that are elitist and think they have to have "full control" over their device OTB, and are just jumping on another "it's cool, different" hipster/yuppy/psuedo-hippy bandwagon trend. I have nothing against Android itself. I just can't stand the average misinformed "Android is the end all-be all of smart phones cause its "open source" (not really anymore), its not crApple, Im not limited to safe and secure apps" fanboys/girls.

See what I did there?

:jg:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info