Tips to knock the price down on the car I'm gonna buy

ls6velless454

Regular
Jan 19, 2010
I was waiting for someone to say that.

The accident is back from 2008, the first owner continued driving it for nearly 2 years before something else happened, so I wouldn't even be really 'worried' about that accident, I'd be more worried about why the previous owner no longer owns it....

Lost key signifies one of several things, Primarily that this was an auction car that was probably in an accident or repossession. The carfax shows one owner, and then boom, auction. Typically when a car gets traded in to a dealer, it is reported, ditto for it if is sold privately as obviously there is a new owner. This screams insurance, or repossession.

Dealerships don't just 'loose' keys, especially if it was a trade in, so I'd ask them why/how they lost the keys while you are there to see if you get a BS story...

They've had the car since 8/2010 it looks like in the carfax report earlier in this thread... How can they not have the keys for 7 months...

This really sounds like they bought the car damaged or repo'ed at auction, and just got it repaired recently (Or have been waiting on a rebuilt title etc*It says the title got corrected, which is VERY unusual for a one owner car to my understanding) The 'lost keys' story could be just them stalling for the rebuilt title, or additional repairs, or it could be legitimate that they didn't get keys at the auction when the got the car (Probably for a screaming deal), but them being truely 'lost' is a bullshit excuse.... Aside from them stalling on repairs, they should have no excuse for not having pictures of the car since they bought it IMO. cars that are 'deals' like that, rarely stay on the lots long, even if they are junk.

I would steer clear of that car honestly :( KBB is still north of 17K for dealer retail for that car with no options selected and even with the higher miles. "If its too good to be true, it often is" at 10-11K that price sounds about dead on for a rebuilt title.

All signs point to yes on this, but the fact that a clear title is there it makes it very tempting. I am going to look at the car soon so we will see how everything pans out. I know junk when I see it/drive it and I will keep everyone posted on my decision with this car.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Sorry I didn't see this sooner man, if your getting this from Suds fuckin forget it. I bought my rex from there and regretted every bit of it. Their sellers are fuckin idiots and their customer service is non existent. I bought my rex from them in julyish and they still won't follow up with me about the wrinkled hood scoop that came with the car. Paul is the dude I dealt with and man is he ever a fuck. I would go somewhere else man, if they can't even deal with shit covered from the factory...how they gonna deal with your car?

I would highly highly suggest against dealing with them, I can't even express how bad they suck. It does not suprise me they lost the keys BTW...fuckin morons

PS- If you still go and see them, tell them I said they can go fuck themselves or kill themselves...their choice.

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
Sorry I didn't see this sooner man, if your getting this from Suds fuckin forget it. I bought my rex from there and regretted every bit of it. Their sellers are fuckin idiots and their customer service is non existent. I bought my rex from them in julyish and they still won't follow up with me about the wrinkled hood scoop that came with the car. Paul is the dude I dealt with and man is he ever a fuck. I would go somewhere else man, if they can't even deal with shit covered from the factory...how they gonna deal with your car?

I would highly highly suggest against dealing with them, I can't even express how bad they suck. It does not suprise me they lost the keys BTW...fuckin morons

PS- If you still go and see them, tell them I said they can go fuck themselves or kill themselves...their choice.

Well I think that right there should make up your mind :dunno:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Well P/M me your real name, and I will relay the message. Either way I'm gonna go look at the car, and if all signs point to shady the deal is off.

I am a bit confused why you are still going to look if it sounds shady, an is from a dealer that apparently a member here had a poor experience with.

Good luck, but I don't think im alone when I say that I think your are wasting your time. If nothing is wrong with the car, why are they selling it for $7,000 under what they are going for? That's all I have left to say. Even if it looks perfect and drives fine, I'd bet good money that something is seriously out of place. Don't get 'blinded' by what seems to be a good deal...

Clear title doesn't guarantee anything honestly, take a look at that jeep that got fixed by one of the body guys on here.

ls6velless454

Regular
Jan 19, 2010
I am a bit confused why you are still going to look if it sounds shady, an is from a dealer that apparently a member here had a poor experience with.

Good luck, but I don't think im alone when I say that I think your are wasting your time. If nothing is wrong with the car, why are they selling it for $7,000 under what they are going for? That's all I have left to say. Even if it looks perfect and drives fine, I'd bet good money that something is seriously out of place. Don't get 'blinded' by what seems to be a good deal...

Clear title doesn't guarantee anything honestly, take a look at that jeep that got fixed by one of the body guys on here.
Smug GXP did a fantastic job on that SRT8 and if that's what a salvage title vehicle looks like when finished then sign me up

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Smug GXP did a fantastic job on that SRT8 and if that's what a salvage title vehicle looks like when finished then sign me up

Um he's a body man with years of experience and I'd bet the total price of just the parts was almost worth the entire vehicle, plus it's not his car and there's no telling what the engine problems might be.

Don't be so worried about how it looks, that's easy to fix. You should be more concerned with drivability and how the engine, trans, and electronics are in the car. It doesn't take much to pull a bulb in a dash, check all the engine lights when you start it, drives straight, no funky smells or leaks etc etc etc. Granted I lost plenty of keys when I worked at a dealership but no keys AND no pics?!?!?! It sounds like it's in the shop and they don't want you to know.

It just isn't sitting right with me that they're asking for so much less than market value in an economy that's begging for more fuel efficient cars much less with one thats in higher demand. Something aint right, my advice is to forget about it and don't waste your time but do LOTS of research and try not to get swayed by the "shiny new car syndrome" and buy a POS that you'll regret. Good luck.

ls6velless454

Regular
Jan 19, 2010
Have you gone to see the car yet?

I went and seen the car, and I wasn't interested in it. I was excited the entire time. I was BS with the salesmen until the car came up. Now at this point I KNOW what the car looks like and they have posted pictures now, and have keys if anyones interested. I checked the body work and the car didn't line up like I wanted with the fit and finish on front fenders and bumper lines. The paint was surprisingly good for the body and even matched nice with no orange peel. It was just that the bumper was a bit puckered where it bolted to the fenders. I also noticed there was a large scratch on the back quarter that the picture head quite well. This was a little disappointing, but not totally unexpected. Not the interesting part was when I opened the car. The car apparently didn't like the stock panels in the interior...........so he decided to spray paint them like a 5 year old. He wasn't done either he also had a "KUSTIM" roof liner put in with black suede they he cut out with a razor blade to put in. The interior was pretty much ruined and at this point I wondered how someone can screw up a car this bad within three years. During the test drive the cars front suspension clunked, and the brakes needed replaced as well. At this point it made me wonder how someone could possibly mess up a car this bad in only 3 years. He also replaced the door panels with suede that were already sun bleached and no longer black. My girlfriend tried rolling down her window and the panel fell off. After the test drive my other friend in the back seat opened the door and the panel also fell out into the parking lot. I forgot to mention the shift knob fell off and he decided he wanted to put a mazdaspeed sticker on the middle of the dash. Before getting the car I noticed it has the incorrect wheels and was debadged so I was prepared to have a reason to talk the price down. I walked back in the dealer and the salesmen tried selling me the car and I told him I would give him 5k if he was lucky. He said he would talk to the manager and said he could probably do it for $7,500 and eventually tried offering it for $6,000. I just looked at the guy and said you really want to get rid of this thing don't you, and ended up leaving the dealer. The moral of the story was I had a bad feeling about the car, and the fact the guy did the things he did to it I could only imagine how he took care of the car mechanically. So I learned my lesson.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I drove out to Indiana to look at a Mazda 3 hatch a few months ago. I had the dude send me a bunch of pictures and it looked good from what I saw and the price was decent. It was hard to find the trim level in a color my wife wanted with low mileage and 1 owner so it seemed a worthwhile drive.

We get there after a 2 and a half hour drive and I knew it wasn't going to go well as soon as I walked in the door. He tells me the car is down the street getting new tires put on (I talked to him the day before and said I was planning on putting snow tires on; don't bother). An hour later here comes the car. It had some sort of big paint scratch on pretty much every panel. What made it worse was that it looked like the took nail polish and tried filling in the scratches. The roof looked like somebody was dragging a chain link fence across it or something.

I told the dude right there that I did not want the car and that I was crazy pissed I wasted so much time and money for him to lie to me and say it's flawless. He tells me to make an offer on it anyways. I told him $5k I'd take it today. He was asking $14k :rofl:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
thats one of the oldest tricks i know of...i havent used it in years (since i buy/get junk for cheap as is and fix em)
wanna know what is actual bullshit? dealers that fill rustholes with pink panther expanding foam, bondo and then respray and try to sell em to ya as "minty"
i have no problem fucking places that would try to fuck me/friend.
oh and fuck carfax....god damned uselesswith all the ways a title can be kept clean

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
thats one of the oldest tricks i know of...i havent used it in years (since i buy/get junk for cheap as is and fix em)
wanna know what is actual bullshit? dealers that fill rustholes with pink panther expanding foam, bondo and then respray and try to sell em to ya as "minty"
i have no problem fucking places that would try to fuck me/friend.
oh and fuck carfax....god damned uselesswith all the ways a title can be kept clean

Word. Come to think of it, after dealing with A holes... I would have no problem doing that

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info