đź“° Auto News Time for a Hybrid?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You guys getting concerned about gas prices? Want 50 mpg for the commute? Here are 10 hybrids under $30K.

Hyundai Elantra
Hyundai Sonata
Ford Escape
Hyundai Ioniq
Toyota Camry
Honda Insight
Honda Accord
Toyota RAV 4
Kia Niro
Honda CR-V

Reactions: blue-sun

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
So far so good with our hybrid.
1601F62C-1F67-44B0-A140-9FE12E218921.png

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
I am just skeptical about long term ownership and repair on a hybrid. Even on full EV cars like Teslas. The days are coming where regular Joe’s won’t be able to fix their cars and forced to pay top dollar for technicians. Seems like that will become the next hot trade to get into.

Reactions: frank

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I am just skeptical about long term ownership and repair on a hybrid. Even on full EV cars like Teslas. The days are coming where regular Joe’s won’t be able to fix their cars and forced to pay top dollar for technicians. Seems like that will become the next hot trade to get into.

What about hybrids that are better vetted and proven, say the Prius?

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Agreed 100%, makes you rethink the whole extended warranty purchase when you buy a hybrid or full electric car, and most really only cover to about 100k ( Carmax is longer but not much more ) and should be a must buy with these cars.

not sure on how true this is, but a friend was saying he brother in law works with several oe manufacturers on hybrid and now full electric cars on the engineer side, and was saying with the new hummer and other brands going full electric they are suggesting the dealer techs to get a lineman certification to work on the new upcoming electric vehicles due to the voltage.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
What about hybrids that are better vetted and proven, say the Prius?
I think Prius have been the most reliable, but not all hybrids are Toyota’s which is where I think repair issues will be a factor. De-energizing the batteries is the main issue or get your junk disintegrated by the voltage. It’s a process.

Reactions: frank

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Totally agree and in my case specifically with a Chrysler product it’s even more worrisome. That’s why I bought a 6 yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty. No chance we’ll keep it past that point anyways so no need to worry at all about repairs.

Next vehicle that will replace the minivan will be an EV suv. Probably a new Mustang...lol

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Most in this list are the base models too. A few exceptions.

I still say I’d like a full size truck that’s PHEV that’ll give me about 40-50 MPE. Then the battery/electric motor can supplement the ICE for added torque while towing/hauling, and reduce engine load while cruising at highway speeds to improve mileage. That would cover a majority of my commuting and truck needs, plus allow for long road trips without relying on charging stations.

Reactions: Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Most in this list are the base models too. A few exceptions.

I still say I’d like a full size truck that’s PHEV that’ll give me about 40-50 MPE. Then the battery/electric motor can supplement the ICE for added torque while towing/hauling, and reduce engine load while cruising at highway speeds to improve mileage. That would cover a majority of my commuting and truck needs, plus allow for long road trips without relying on charging stations.

If I could get something hybrid powered that is Ridgeline sized/capability that gets 45mpg city/hwy and can tow 5,000#’s I would jump on that in a heartbeat for a daily driver.

Though a hybrid 1-ton with electric motor torque would probably be pretty fucking awesome. Like an F-350 dually hybrid with a 7.3 gasser/hybrid system that could average 18-20mpg empty and have diesel torque numbers...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info