This Sahara Railway Is One of the Most Extreme in the World

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Just shows you how bullshit Metra is with all the delays and broken trains. They want to blame the weather. Yet you got trains that work in the desert and in Canada blasting through 12ft of snow.

CN specifically Operates an EXCEEDINGLY tight ship, and are an early adopter of new and innovative solution and technologies (Unlike most railways)

Metra's EMD locomotives date back to the late 1970's... Some of their cars are even older, especially on the UP lines. The Mauritania Railway took those EMD SD70's probably some time in 2011, as the order was placed in 2010. Get back to me in 2052 how those SD70's are doing.

Age, wear and tear play a pretty significant role too.

And then to top it all off, when Metra did get new locomotives (Motive Power MP36H's), they were a disaster and had no where near the longevity/durability of the aged EMD units. So Metra purchased a couple F40PH's from a museum, some old F40PH's from Amtrak's retired fleet IIRC, and even brought back a couple of even older F40C's (dating back to the early 70's), that the MP36H's replaced, just to maintain proper service levels while the MP36H's were sent back for repairs, software updates, or rebuilt (a few were in crashes if I also recall).

So much so was the MP36H experiment a disaster, as well as being much cheaper, that Metra has actually rehabbed (or in the process of rehabbing) those 40+ year old EMD locomotives.

Motive Power AKA Wabtec's Merger with GE Locomotive is going to be interesting to say the least.... The two locomotive manufactures known for comically bad reliability or gross oversight merging...

I work in the IOT Industry in Rail space, I'm excited to see the hilarity ensue from those two monsters merging.

Progress Rail/EMD/Caterpillar make solid stuff, but Emissions and fuel economy allowed GE to take the crown back in the late 90's early 00's and firmly take over.

I still don't fully understand how Wabtec grew so much and so quickly given their beginnings... I need to read up on that still.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
When I was working for GE, the push and $$$$ behind those Evolution series locomotives to dethrone GM/whoever at the time owned EMD, was amazing...

EMD was a cash cow through the 70's/80's for GM, but they never really invested much back INTO the company and then sold them off when the writing was on the wall with emissions legislation from what I recall. It pretty much doomed them into not being competitive anymore even though I'd say the quality of their product is superior.

Regardless of the $$$ and push for Evo's, they EAT traction motors from what I understand?

03GTGreen

Cobra Brigade Presidente
Aug 1, 2007
17K tons isnt all that much really, most of the coal trains running in the usa are at 16.5, we usually run 2 30K trains a day. With technology expanding, theyll only get longer and longer

The new EMD units are straight junk. Only good thing imo is the dynos and how quiet in the cab it is. The cpu is the worst out there

I prefer the GEs, they are easier to run and pull better, the gevos dont have TM issues, or at least they are few and far between

As for Metra....those units are running full throttle for the majority of the day. So youre going to have malfunctions, plus Chicago is the rail capitol of the US, so there will always be other delays

Wabtec is making the big money now as they are the ones who are providing for PTC

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
We run iron ore trains that are 22K tons. They are monsters and usually have SD70 power on them. I haven’t ran one yet but when I see them on the lineup I usually cross my fingers that I don’t get them :rofl:. Our coal trains are around 19K tons also.

The other thing with Metra you have to consider is the trains may not be broken but the switches they need to be routed through may be malfunctioning. I’m working out of a terminal 2.5 hours away from home right now primarily to make more money, but also because I don’t want anything to do with Metra.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I had no idea we had this many rail enthusiasts here. :rofl:

I'm an unintended rail enthusiast since I've been forced to ride Metra for the past 27 years to get to work. I've seen a lot of things evolve over the years.

Even before then I used to take Metra from Chicago to visit family out in "the country". Back then Metra was still using these, which I think are either EMD F3's or F7's.

2346.1120170180.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
As for Metra....those units are running full throttle for the majority of the day. So youre going to have malfunctions, plus Chicago is the rail capitol of the US, so there will always be other delays

Wabtec is making the big money now as they are the ones who are providing for PTC

Full throttle and then fairly hard brakes too, over and over and over

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
They are governed at 3,200 rpm I believe. That was the one big benefit (suppsedly) of the MP36H's, with all the new computers/ECM capabilities that the old F40's didn't have, you can throttle down the MP's when they don't need the power for the traction motors and any other electricity to run the train. So if you're paying attention, much like the freight locomotives, you'll hear them throttle down once moving.

The F40's are always on the dynamic brakes. You can hear the cooling fans cycle on as they come to each stop.

Also another thing, Metra insists on keeping HEP (Head End Power) where the locomotive's engine supplies all the electricity for the train instead of another smaller diesel generator in their to supply that. As such, it's easier for them to maintain (especially across the fleet), but places more demand obviously on the prime mover.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
EMD was a cash cow through the 70's/80's for GM, but they never really invested much back INTO the company and then sold them off when the writing was on the wall with emissions legislation from what I recall. It pretty much doomed them into not being competitive anymore even though I'd say the quality of their product is superior.

Regardless of the $$$ and push for Evo's, they EAT traction motors from what I understand?

Aside from that, I don't think GM really knew what to do with them anymore. It was easy when EMD was really the only game in town as they more or less pioneered the diesel electric form of locomotive, then really pushed everyone out of the circle for long haul/freight applications. It wasn't until GE got serious in the late 80's, but really in the early 90's putting heat on GM EMD and came out with some pretty good stuff that was as good, if not better. Then GE started making EMD replacement parts/packages for EMD locomotives and the writing was on the wall.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Keep on talking guys... I need to get my train on.

We're currently doing some work with Alstom here and I always want to get to know more...

I've gone on tours with some other companies we've done work with like Nippon Sharyo and Bombardier and those plants are just awesome to go through....

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
More Metra nerdery...

So I mentioned that Metra bought a fleet of new locomotives from Motive Power, those MP36H's.

This is a Motive Power MP36H;
1200px-20110530_Metra.JPG

Those MP36H's were to replace an even older EMD F40 units that the RTA inherited when it rolled all Chicago commuter rail operations under one unit called "Metra". These units were 6 axle F40-C's. These EMD F40C's were put into service in the early 70's. They ran primarily in the MDW (Milwaukee District West) out to Elgin, and then perhaps the MDN (Milwaukee District North) line out to Fox Lake. They were all named after towns along the way, hence there is a "City of Elgin" and kept the "Northwest Suburban Mass Transit" on the sides of the sand box. They can easily be identified by their stainless steel siding and as I mentioned, 6 drive axles (vs. 4 for the F40-PH's);

Here is #601 "City of Elgin";
frklnpk.jpg

Metra ended up selling all but 2 or 3 of these F40C's to other commuter rail systems. I think a couple ended up in St. Louis, and then I want to say Nashville. They remaining 2 or 3 were mothballed. However, once the MP36's started having issues and had to be taken out of service, these remaining F40C's had to come back out of storage and were put back into service. These units are creeping up on being 50 years old...

Ok, went and wiki'd it, slight variance in the story, they claim the F40C's were put back into service to cover for F40PH's being rehabbed. I have heard from Metra folks that it was due to the issues with the MP's. So maybe it's a combo of the both.

In the early 1970s the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad ("Milwaukee Road") operated two commuter rail lines in Chicago: the Milwaukee District / North Line to Fox Lake via the CP C&M Subdivision, and the Milwaukee District / West Line to Elgin via the CP's Elgin Subdivision. The operation of these lines was subsidized by local transit agencies. In 1974 two local agencies, the North West Suburban Mass Transit District and the North Suburban Mass Transit District, funded the acquisition of 15 F40Cs for use on the Milwaukee lines. The locomotives passed to Metra on the latter's creation in the 1980s but continued to operate on the ex-Milwaukee lines.[2]

The F40C was withdrawn from regular service with the arrival of new MPI MP36PH-3S locomotives in 2003–2004.[3] Thirteen locomotives were sold to locomotive leasing corporations, although units 611 and 614 were retained and kept on the property in the Western Avenue railyard. In the spring of 2009, units 611 and 614 were placed back into revenue service on both of Metra's ex-Milwaukee Road commuter lines. This was done to cover schedules while the oldest units in Metra's EMD F40PH fleet were being rebuilt. Towards the end of 2016, with many F40PH-2 and F40PHM-2 locomotives being sent out for rebuild, there is an increased likelihood that the 611 and the 614 will be put back into service. Along with a small fleet of HEP-equipped EMD SD70MAC locomotives operating on the Alaska Railroad, the F40Cs were the last six-axle passenger locomotives in daily service in North America. #611 and #614 are retained for the purpose of filling the roles of locomotives that have broken down or are being rebuilt. Despite this, neither locomotive has seen regular service since 2012

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I pass by those two F40C's every day on my way to work. They haven't moved in a very long time and look like they need a paint job.

When Metra opened up the new NCS line back in 1996, they bought two of these (see below). They were in use for a long time, but I haven't seen them in many years. I wonder what happened to them?

Metra_train_at_Lisle.jpg

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yea, the western ave yard is where they sit now. Sadly!

Those are F40PHM's. They're still in service, I see them a lot on the BNSF lines, primarily out to Aurora. They are numbered from 18x something up to 214 I believe. That 185 might be the first of that series in Metra's livery.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

Those are F40PHM's. They're still in service, I see them a lot on the BNSF lines, primarily out to Aurora. They are numbered from 18x something up to 214 I believe. That 185 might be the first of that series in Metra's livery.

Western Ave or 14th St. a few miles east on the north side of the tracks? I was just down at Western ave across from Lagunitas and didn’t see them. Those guys run the piss out of those metra trains to try and stay on schedule and they are serviced very frequently.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

I haven’t had the chance to be on one of those yet; I wonder where There sandbox is without a short nose, or if it’s just really jammed in there

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info