Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ive never said that tho. I enjoyed Force Awakens but it had flaws, same with Rogue One. The difference with those two is I immediately wanted to see them again and dissect, share with friends etc. This movie gave me none of that. Thats my biggest problem. Before it was even over, I knew I wouldnt have a need to see it again.

On top of that, it leaves me 100% worried about ep 9...I dont see how they follow this up. They've successfully offed the entire original cast now...leaving us with Rey and Kylo, and a forgettable supporting cast.

So we're gonna what, have a few people fight the First Order for 2 hours? I have more faith in JJ giving us a fulfilling if not nostalgic ending, but I could give two shits about the characters left.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It doesn't help matters any that to us, the original trilogy (Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi), are what many of us GREW up with, and at that time, the special effects, the ships, the lasers, the lightsabers, and most importantly all those toys that we got and played with, sorta set us on our path and we treat it as the holy grail regardless of their faults.

The prequel, and then these last two, well, it's just not the same... Take out some of the ties to the originals (ships, the force, charactors, etc), and this could be any other Sci-Fi movie now.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I still have to digest this movie, and I do need another viewing of it to really do that. However Ill probably wait until a good TS version is out.

However, listening to Pat's review on a podcast really makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXB3DAU9xmc

Doesnt hate it all, but feels a lot of it could be forgotten, but makes sense in the feelings and lessons.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
After seeing the movie on sunday and having a few days to digest it, here are my 0.02.

Overall the movie was meh at best. As others stated before, a 2nd viewing is needed to really come up with what happened.

Probably the two best scenes in the movie that stand out was when the Vice Admiral Holdo ripped Snokes Dreadnaught ship in half at light speed and when Kylo and Rey were tag teaming Snokes Elite Guard.

Some of the humor and cheesy one liners were not totally needed. Definitely not Star Wars like. Thats the Disney shit coming out in to this franchise.

As we all know, Carrie Fisher is dead. If they had her die in the scene where the ship blew up, I was perfectly content with that. Quick easy write off. Then in this aspect, after seeing the First Order Ties destroying the ship, this in turn would enrage Kylo and conflict him more to turn to the light, to revenge his mothers death.

I think this would have made for a decent plot.

Then when Rey and Kylo "force talk". I get this if maybe in episode 9 you come out with the plot that they, Rey and Kylo are related, siblings, or twins or what have you. I mean in the original trilogy Luke and Leia did this and did it in this movie too. Only makes you think that this is a precursor to what is to come.

I DID NOT like when they tossed the epic building of Reys parents to only make them out as nobodies. Just disappointing. I could have seen them build it up to a point revealing the Rey was a relative or even the granddaughter of Obi Wan. I know that in the past that the force seem to be something in the bloodline. But if we remember that the Jedi Temple in ep 2 & 3 were filled with numerous kids. Related or not, it makes you to believe that the force is not a specific bloodline, but that if your family possess the force trait that it could be passed down to future generations. Remember the kid who grabbed his broom at the end of the movie? Maybe he had someone who had force powers in the past. Maybe the force is something that all people possess and some are more in tune with it that others?

I did not like that Benicio Del Toro character was a cheap throw away character. I could have seen him pull a "Han Solo" like what happened in A New Hope and come back to help the resistance after being paid by the First Order.

They should have used Luke more in this movie. He would have been a great supporting character as he helped Rey develop and control her powers. A Luke and Rey vs. Snoke/Kylo could have been badass.

I didnt like Snoke being a throw away character. There were so many unanswered questions of his origin. Where was he from? Who trained him? Remember the Sith work in pairs... Master & Apprentice.

The scenes when the Resistance was attempting to outrun the FO was kinda lame. I mean if the Resistance ships were faster, how come the FO was keeping up?? Just never made sense. But I did like the fact that they used some realism in the scene where the ships would run out of fuel.

I am sure there is more I could add but this is what sticks out the most right now.

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
Making Rey and Kylo related would go against the theme that was created...the force isnt tied to bloodlines. And it would just be plain dumb.

I do agree, but in the EU Han and Leia had Jedi twins though. At least this way, if Kylo and Rey were related it could still follow the EU with out actually being the legit EU story line.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info