Band Chart, Grid Mapper, WAS Map
APRS Information
GMRS Information

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Did you check the links that I provided, which were the questions with answers? Along with other resources?
those were good if I wanted to buy resources and it also has the official study exam.

The source I found laid it out in a nice PDF that integrates the questions with the learning and the exam link is just a digital version of the study exam you posted.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Yeah my tech exam had a lot of questions regarding basic elentrical components, v=ir, etc. Plus it's a brain dump since the exact question/answer pool is published.

I took the general the same day. Failed by one question, but that was because I didn't know I could take more than one test in a day so I didn't bother studying for it.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Looks like you won't need a radio, just get the app:

If I was in any sort of "protest" the last thing I'd do is bring my cell within 100 miles of it. You may as well tattoo your address on your chest and walk around without a shirt so the feds can meet you at your house. Mark my words, anyone and everyone with a cell signal near the capital at that time is marked.

In terms of the testing though yeah tech isn't bad if you've studied. Just gotta know not to swear on the air, have some antenna math in your pocket, know what the band ranges are and have some electronics fundamentals. Not terrible overall.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Well just went head first into a GMRS mobile base station.

Picked up a used Kenwood TK-8180, 50ft of LMR400 and one of these GMRS antennas for my attic:

Hopefully its all here this week. The antenna came super fast.

1616508104961.png

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Nothing wrong with a J-pole, plumber's special antennas have been around for eternity.

The LMR400 probably hurt a bit purchase wise but at VHF/UHF frequencies I assure you it was a pretty good purchase. Getting that loss minimalized will help things a ton.
Oh it did. Not cheap cable that's for sure, but I agree, its worth it in the long run. Cable should last forever and this is an indoor run for now, so should last even longer.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not sure of the technicalities of HAM radio, but I remember back in the day of the old house, I just ran a wire up to the old TV antenna sitting on the roof not being used anymore (since we had cable), and it worked great for regular radio reception.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Reception is one thing, and the old analog TV frequencies weren't that far below FM radio frequencies. However if you were to try to transmit you'd likely burn up the finals in the radio as the standing waves would feed back into the transmitter. Needs to be tuned to properly to the operating frequency to transmit without risk of damage.

Thread Info