The future is stupid

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I have a few smart bulbs and they’ve been great. Outside lights turn on and off with sunrise and sunset and the other ones use WiFi switches so there’s a physical switch to use. My living area doesn’t have any overhead lights or even a switched outlet so I was sick of leaning over the couch to turn a light off. The other ones are in our kids room because it can be like daylight in there or dim to where I can just see for a diaper change in the middle of the night.

But having to use your phone for lights is fucking dumb. The option is fine though.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I'd do my front lights with two of those but the front switch panel is a fucking 4 pot switch plate and no one makes a switch-square-square-switch plate. And I'm too lazy to redo that wall and merge the stoop light and the yard light into one switch.
Or just get two smart bulbs, set them up on a cycle and never flip the switches again :dunno:

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
I personally love my smart home sh...t... having the outside smart bulbs turn on and off on sunset is fucking great... because i have two different switches in different parts of the house. So I was ALWAYS forgetting to turn them off in the morning (while trying to get the kids out the door)

The inside switches turning on at sunset and off at a certain time is great, especially in the winter months when we come home and the house would be dark, or now when we go on vacation and it still looks like we are home..

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
If you guys think this is bad wait until the stuff ends service life and there's no security updates for it and the ecosystem gets abandoned. This can and does happen to even bigger ecosystems than one would think.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05/nest-the-company-died-at-google-io-2019/

or your trendy refrigerator is compromised and they remotely trigger the water dispenser for teh lulz. These IoT devices are a hackers wet dream....with 4 IoT devices PER human anticipated, firmware updates will be few and far between.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
So far mine is the garage door opener, thermostat, and outdoor light that are all online, so far it's all been great. :dunno:

Like I said earlier, once the company releases their light/ceiling fan single switches I'll have them in every room in the house as well.

Havent really thought of any use for their smart outlets yet though.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
So far mine is the garage door opener, thermostat, and outdoor light that are all online, so far it's all been great. :dunno:

Like I said earlier, once the company releases their light/ceiling fan single switches I'll have them in every room in the house as well.

Havent really thought of any use for their smart outlets yet though.

I have smart outlet on the well pump. Sometimes the psi switch fails and pump runs non stop. So I gotta kill it.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I love tech but I have to draw a line somewhere for practicality. Maybe i'm a geriatric :rofl: but the trusty light switch invented in the 1800s still works great. Its the simplest electrical component known to man. I have nest smoke alarms primarily for the alerts and smart switches for my outside flood lights. Easier to turn on by phone with my detached garage.

I would like to add a high level water sensor for my ejector pit in the event the pump dies, which then triggers a "smart" water shutoff valve to kill the main water. Other than that and switches, I don't ever see the need to connect a major appliance to the Internet.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I have them on my front porch and front of garage, programmed to come on at 8pm and off at 5 am, I like that I can change the program to whatever I want, it would be nice if they came on at dark and off with light but the bulbs are recessed can lighting on the front porch I don’t think it would work well, anyway I had to tape the switch because my kids couldn’t learn what one of the 4 switches was for the stairs inside the house and constantly had me reprogramming the front porch lights

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
HTNcPKH.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
This site is going full blown geriatric.

I've always said I'm a weird blend of luddite and technologist. I guess that the proper analogy would be more like I'm a big truck mechanic that hates working on Kias or similar ilk. It may be like many of the people here I have seen (far too many) things.

I have no doubt about the idea that technology does improve our lives but I question the costs thereof. I think that the promise of utopia needs to be tempered with the menace of dystopia.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I was a preorder early Hue adopter. I now have 30 bulbs in my house including the outdoor lights and several touch pads, taps, motion sensors, and Siri/Alexa control. Lights come on automatically based on geofencing, on based on sunset/sunrise, and off based on timers. Couldn’t be happier. My favorite is explaining how the stuff works to people at work and pulling up my security cameras for interior/exterior of the house and turning the lights on and off and switching all the colors. Makes people’s jaws drop because 99% of people are stupid as fuck and didn’t even realize this stuff exists.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
So here's my thoughts.

Smart switches are better if you keep dumb lights...operates like normal light switch for guests, yet can do smart stuff and bulb doesn't matter.

But smart bulbs are superior when it comes to options. The new bulbs not only are dimmable and RGB, but you can also modify the color tone which is drastically more useful. Want a nice bright work area...boom 5k bright white. Want a nice romantic night...2k dim soft lighting. The only real issue is with dumb switches and smart bulbs, it's very easy to turn it off manually by habit and kill all the cool features and automation.

The new light switches that are coming out are really cool and work with smart bulbs. (Smart switch + smart bulb = awesome experience....after configuration in some cases) They have 3 sensors, proximity, ambient light and sound detection as well as onboard learning and mesh with other lights. All still on a local basis...not cloud or wifi needed. No hub. The switches learn your patterns and talk with each other. Ever have a motion light switch turn off in the shitter? Well now the switch can see or hear if you are still in there and keep the light on.

Ambient sensor allows lights to turn on with sunrise/sunset automatically without needing to program anything. Or can tell it's a cloudy day and adjust light accordingly.

Orro is the brand. The only down side is it's a steep price to get started at $200/switch but it's definitely the most innovative on the market imo and is designed so you don't need to turn on lights manually nearly as much.

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
Love my hue system. Mostly smart but Apart from a couple motion sensors I am on a a dumb switch/ smart bulb setup.

While convenient to have ’dumb’ backup switches, inevitably it results in a situation of them reaching for the switch panels, asking ‘ can I just use the switch turn on the lights ?’

My response :

Zlu4ClG.gif

Damn Whores need to learn; just because I paid for discretion and a tight ass doesn’t excuse them from the fact they aren’t some cheap bottom bitch which clearly means they get to touch anything beside my cock.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Love my hue system. Mostly smart but Apart from a couple motion sensors I am on a a dumb switch/ smart bulb setup.

While convenient to have ’dumb’ backup switches, inevitably it results in a situation of them reaching for the switch panels, asking ‘ can I just use the switch turn on the lights ?’

My response :

Zlu4ClG.gif

Damn Whores need to learn; just because I paid for discretion and a tight ass doesn’t excuse them from the fact they aren’t some cheap bottom bitch which clearly means they get to touch anything beside my cock.

:rofl: what

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Orro is the brand. The only down side is it's a steep price to get started at $200/switch but it's definitely the most innovative on the market imo and is designed so you don't need to turn on lights manually nearly as much.

Damn those are nice switches. I can't use them with Homekit though so I'm out....

Still just waiting for iDevices to release their damn ceiling fan and light combo switch. Theyre now saying it wont be released until Q1 of 2020 though...

Ugh.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info