Tesla Model 3

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Could it be done with a car today? I am Sure. Probably a diesel as stated above with a large tank and hwy driving at 35 mph with intense hypermiling

A diesel with a large enough tank is all you need. Buddy with a 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen consistently gets into the mid-40's with doing 75+ mph with A/C on...theoretically, all he needs is a 18 gallon tank to get there.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
There are a few diesel cars that approach 800 miles, but I don't think there are any that break into 1000...diesel trucks with dual tanks are a whole other story though.

Edit: Apparently nothing hits 800, mid to low 700's, and the top 5 are dominated by Japanese Hybrids...

Forbes Welcome

my buddy's diesel excursion i got just over 700 out of on a roadtrip.

i think sme car review place got over 700 on a tank or two out of a ecodiesel ram also.

ecodiesel ram with a 38 gallon tank would be tthaaa bidness

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
my buddy's diesel excursion i got just over 700 out of on a roadtrip.

i think sme car review place got over 700 on a tank or two out of a ecodiesel ram also.

ecodiesel ram with a 38 gallon tank would be tthaaa bidness

Diesel Excursion would be awesome....so expensive still though....cousin linked me to a guy in Nebraska that was selling his lifted 7.3 Excursion for $12.5K...was more than a bit enticing

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
The point is, somebody like me isn't going to consider a vehicle like that due to "range anxiety" or whatever. Make a car that can do 200-250 miles on battery and then give it a hybrid powertrain that will get the car wherever it needs to go. I don't care if it's down on power while in "gas mode" or whatever. Everything is either a plug-in hybrid that gets dick for range purely electric, or an electric only car with lacking infrastructure outside of major cities.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Whats more economical? A Cruze Eco or a Model S?

Apples and oranges...hard to compare. If you are going by pure cost per driving mile, the Model S has basically any internal combustion engine by miles. If you take into the cost of car in the first place, it would take a lot more calculation, but if both cars were kept over the span of multiple years and took into consideration the resale of both, I think the Model S would still come out ahead.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The point is, somebody like me isn't going to consider a vehicle like that due to "range anxiety" or whatever. Make a car that can do 200-250 miles on battery and then give it a hybrid powertrain that will get the car wherever it needs to go. I don't care if it's down on power while in "gas mode" or whatever. Everything is either a plug-in hybrid that gets dick for range purely electric, or an electric only car with lacking infrastructure outside of major cities.

ding ding ding

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Yeah, just like your volt. Give the car a decent APU to get it where it needs to go, but not the piss poor 40 mile range pure EV.

Well the new one is over 50 but still at what point is it a waste to even bother adding the complication of a gasoline engine and its related systems? If you make a car with 100 mile ev range and a gas extender you are basically just hauling around a gas engine, fuel tank, cooling system, a mile of wiring, etc.... For what? Maybe 1% of trips? At that point it'd be better to just take all the weight and cost of the ICE system and invest it in batteries for a higher pure electric range.

I think charging speed will be the big kicker when it comes to electric cars. If there were a supercharger or equivalent at every gas station in the United States I think many many more people would have electric cars.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Well the new one is over 50 but still at what point is it a waste to even bother adding the complication of a gasoline engine and its related systems? If you make a car with 100 mile ev range and a gas extender you are basically just hauling around a gas engine, fuel tank, cooling system, a mile of wiring, etc.... For what? Maybe 1% of trips? At that point it'd be better to just take all the weight and cost of the ICE system and invest it in batteries for a higher pure electric range.

I think charging speed will be the big kicker when it comes to electric cars. If there were a supercharger or equivalent at every gas station in the United States I think many many more people would have electric cars.

Exactly. That's why I brought up the point of infrastructure. If I could get another 200 miles of range off of a 15 minute supercharge at 95% of the gas stations in the country, I would then consider the problem solved that I'm currently solving with an APU

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

because they take so long, that wouldn't be enough, and also note that no one has much interest in building them.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I understand that. What I'm saying is imagine if every gas station had something like a supercharger. Buying an electric car would be a non issue, as even though waiting 20 minutes sucks, it would be ok without the limited network of tesla supercharger a

My wife wants a model 3 but is understandably nervous about driving to her parents house in Dubuque. There is a supercharger along the way in Rockford but from Rockford to Dubuque back to Rockford is still a long hike. And plugging it into 110 is as good as worthless. I have a 220 charger in the garage already so that would be no big deal.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I think there is something that isn't being considered about electric cars and charging.

Yes, the supercharger's are about 30 minutes. But, you are not forced to get electricity from a "Electric" station like we are forced to get fuel from a Gas station.

If you are at home, and you need gas for your car do you gas it up? Nope, you drive to a gas station to get gas.

If your electric car is low on charge and you are at home, you charge it up at home. 240v feeds would become more common, with either 1 or 2 charging stations built into the garage. Your car would be charged overnight, and about the only time you'd use a charging station is if you are going somewhere that exceeded your daily range.

So supercharger stations would see much less traffic than gas stations see now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info