Tesla Killer - Audi E-Tron

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Because their battery technology isn’t as good, it’s that simple. Tesla has proven they can use much more of their battery pack and not have any degradation issues, even charging at the current 125/145kw and the future 250kw

What I don't get is why. Panasonic supplies Tesla with the cells of the battery, so it would seem easy for a competitor to simply partner with Panasonic for the cell technology. I couldn't get an answer in a quick Google search, but it looks like the Tesla proprietary part of the agreement is the manufacturing and packaging. It looks like Toyota recently did a partnership with Panasonic.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Also their battery tech is not hard to really find. Do a quick search on Tesla motor club or what not and you can find what type of cells the S and X and 3 run. Differences, tweeks etc. diagrams of the cooling system have been posted for people who are curious.

So if you were a large company I would expect you would be able to find this information out better than low level joe blow like me.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
What I don't get is why. Panasonic supplies Tesla with the cells of the battery, so it would seem easy for a competitor to simply partner with Panasonic for the cell technology. I couldn't get an answer in a quick Google search, but it looks like the Tesla proprietary part of the agreement is the manufacturing and packaging. It looks like Toyota recently did a partnership with Panasonic.

i think it has to do with the actual arrangement and heat management or something like that, and logic to control the battery.

Idk that is stupid in my opinion. Why not model exactly what Tesla does? Give you the owner the choice on what level to charge to? Just like Tesla says 80% for daily use, and I can charge to 100 percent for a trip if I need longer range.

Idk I doubt they are going to have much production issues with this car, I do not foresee this flying off the shelf.

dunno if you saw the last tesla numbers but they were disappointing the market in a big way iirc. i think declines in 3/x/s domestically? with the real pain being the decline of x/s where the real profit is.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
dunno if you saw the last tesla numbers but they were disappointing the market in a big way iirc. i think declines in 3/x/s domestically? with the real pain being the decline of x/s where the real profit is.

The reason Tesla didn’t meet expectations is because there were something like 10,600 cars on boats going to China and Europe. Had those cars been delivered they would have made their sales targets. They’ve even gone so far as to say those 10,600 cars will just get tacked onto quarter 2 so the numbers will look better then. Also that 1.x billion bond payment brought down their profits dramatically. Either way I don’t think there is a softening of the market. The 35k car is just now ramping up so I don’t think domestic sales will be an issue. As far as X/S is concerned there were rumors flying around about a refresh and a new rumor about switching to permanent magnet motors increasing the range dramatically so people are holding off, much like Apple doesn’t sell a bunch of iPhones in August right before they refresh to the new model

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Something else about that cuts right to my core....

Audi's insistence on abbreviating everything as if they're still using a single color dot matrix display from 1998. My Q5 has a nice color display in the instrument cluster and still every single message is abbreviated and abbreviated in a way that's not obvious. They also spell tire "tyre" and put an exclamation point at the end of every message. "Low Oil! Vehicle ok to drive"

I'm going to extrapolate a big picture idea from this tiny little story but it's also the benefit to Tesla not having the benefit (curse) of being a legacy automaker. That message and the bullshit "mi" abbreviation is a carryover from years of doing things one way. It's worked this long and so they just keep on keeping on. It's the reason that every single electric car (that I'm aware of) still has an ignition switch. It's the way they've always done it. Why would you do it any other way? With a Tesla you get in and the moment the car senses an ass in the driver's seat and a key present the car is on and ready to be driven. When you get out you literally get out and walk away. You just put it in park and leave. You don't tap the door handle to lock it. It knows when you've walked away and locks itself. It's a silly little detail but one of many small perks of having a fresh set of eyes look over every aspect of what makes a car a car. It's the Apple iPhone approach to cars. For years everyone approached the problem one way and then Apple came and showed everyone that they were all chasing the wrong solution. Tesla is in the same boat only Tesla has the benefit of a decade head start and an industry that took a better part of a decade to figure out that this is a serious market. Apple's competitors figured that out in months.

It will be interesting to see how the industry adapts.

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
to be fair, the european market ev cars are not driven as far as an american ev car. they dont have the land mass we do. the range is probably plenty for that market. my wife would need to charge once every two months if she just drove to work and back and assuming it would hold its charge that long.

I on the other hand wouldnt get more than a day off a charge, sometimes half a day

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Something else about that cuts right to my core....

Audi's insistence on abbreviating everything as if they're still using a single color dot matrix display from 1998. My Q5 has a nice color display in the instrument cluster and still every single message is abbreviated and abbreviated in a way that's not obvious. They also spell tire "tyre" and put an exclamation point at the end of every message. "Low Oil! Vehicle ok to drive"

I'm going to extrapolate a big picture idea from this tiny little story but it's also the benefit to Tesla not having the benefit (curse) of being a legacy automaker. That message and the bullshit "mi" abbreviation is a carryover from years of doing things one way. It's worked this long and so they just keep on keeping on. It's the reason that every single electric car (that I'm aware of) still has an ignition switch. It's the way they've always done it. Why would you do it any other way? With a Tesla you get in and the moment the car senses an ass in the driver's seat and a key present the car is on and ready to be driven. When you get out you literally get out and walk away. You just put it in park and leave. You don't tap the door handle to lock it. It knows when you've walked away and locks itself. It's a silly little detail but one of many small perks of having a fresh set of eyes look over every aspect of what makes a car a car. It's the Apple iPhone approach to cars. For years everyone approached the problem one way and then Apple came and showed everyone that they were all chasing the wrong solution. Tesla is in the same boat only Tesla has the benefit of a decade head start and an industry that took a better part of a decade to figure out that this is a serious market. Apple's competitors figured that out in months.

It will be interesting to see how the industry adapts.
It’s called “First principle” thinking. They approach everything with a “why do it this way” attitude. That’s why you get stuff like no ignition switch and automatic free software updates.

Reactions: Mike K

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
actually it is interesting that the sales volume of the 3 in particular is lower: http://www.ev-volumes.com/country/usa/

US-Q-10-2019.png

i'm unclear what they mean exactly by their interpretation of it, nonetheless the total is certainlly still up yea over year, the other manufacturers not faring so well

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info