Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
My Goodness !
You got the perfect angle on the inside of the smoker lid. Speaks volumes to the experience of that bad boy.

The hours of carmeled smoke to produce a coating like that. You could probably chip that stuff off and sell it. :bowdown:

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So with all the meat aficionados on the site. Does anyone use an electric knife for slicing? If so, any recommendations? I'd like to get one, and my mom is willing to do it as an xmas gift to me, so nothing too $$$$.

Something with two sets of blades that are different lengths would be nice.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
My Goodness !
You got the perfect angle on the inside of the smoker lid. Speaks volumes to the experience of that bad boy.

The hours of carmeled smoke to produce a coating like that. You could probably chip that stuff off and sell it. :bowdown:
Or lack of maintenance [emoji3]. But yeah, I pretty much cook on it atleast once every 2 weeks, even in Jan and Feb.

• Haha
Reactions: Shawn1112 and Flyn

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Turkey can be very tasty. For the grilled turkey, I put it on a v rack (gets the bottom out of the juice) in the Weber after putting a compound butter (fresh thyme, rosemary, sage mixed with room temp butter) UNDER the skin. I check the temps often and pull when the breast is approaching 165. Resting for at least half an hour is important, too. Used my MEATER to monitor the temps for this one and it was reading 185 in the thigh when my instant read said the breast was in the low 160s. During resting, the breast hit 165.

For the deep fried turkey, it's simple. Dry the turkey thoroughly, season thoroughly and let stand on the counter for an hour or so to give the rub time to incorporate into the bird. Fry. 3 mins per pound or so. Use an instant read thermometer when you get close to avoid overcooking. Lift the turkey out and hang it on the side of the fryer then measure temps carefully.

NEVER use those pop up plastic gizmos in any turkey cooks. They always overcook the breasts.

I'm having some turkey and stuffing for brunch now and it's really good. Breast is not dried out and has great flavor. Dark meat is even better. Stuffing is fantastic.

NKwbdJE.jpg

The pale top of the fried turkey bugs me but it was just too big to fit in the oil fryer without overfilling the oil and risking disaster. Next time I will find a slightly smaller bird. This one was 16 lbs. If you guys haven't deep fried a turkey, the flavor is phenomenal. I used the Harry Soo chicken rub on it.

4689eQJ.jpg
Looks great! Im also team turkey can be flavorful. I think dry brine and nailing the juicyness is key.

How do you like the Harry Soo chicken rub?

Reactions: Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I love the rub. sprinkled the leftover turkey with it on my plate and it has a great, sweet and spice flavor. Definitely some sugar in there.

I prefer the wet brine because I think it adds more juiciness than the dry brine. Both are much better than no brine at all. For turkeys (or any fowl), I think hitting the finishing temps so the meat is cooked enough but not too much is key. I use my instant read all over the bird and try to get it all the way in without hitting the bones. I find a lot of dry turkey/chicken/duck when I eat at friends' homes. Do you see that as well? Some people rely on the pop up plastic gizmos and that always dries out the breasts. Some of my friends rely on gravy to cover up the dryness. My mom cooked like that, too. She killed many a bird by overcooking it. My daughters asked for turkey for Christmas since they couldn't make it for Thanksgiving and my mom is coming too. I'll try to keep the birds juicy for them.

I'm making turkey pot pies tomorrow.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I made the turkey pot pies. First ones were an Ina Garten recipe that is traditional. I added a bottom crust to them.

8FZD6gi.jpg

Second one was fancier with some tarragon, mushrooms and other goodies.

OLpWa93.jpg

I actually preferred the traditional pies although the crust was better on the fancy one. Next time I will use the traditional recipe combined with the cake pan crust.

ElEzmp7.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Amy keeps finding picanha cheaper. $8.50 lb. special ordered from the butcher at Winn Dixie. In return for ordering these, he wants to try it so I am going to sous vide these this weekend and send some of it to work with Amy on Monday.

3XfVlt8.jpg
You keep coming up with cuts like that we might be stopping by for dinner on the return trip from the SW coast on the way to Kentucky ?

Reactions: Flyn

Thread Info