TB on Boosted applications

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Reading thru the "who has the bigger dick" coyote thread, seen some mention about TB's. I've always heard bigger doesnt always mean better on the TB. I know there are variables that go into it.
Speaking on the Whipple 3.0 I'm going to run. I'm going to run the Nick Williams TB as thats whats recommended with the Whipple for the LS platform. They have a 103mm and a 112mm, price difference is $240. What benefit if any would I see on a stock Whipple 3.0 going with the 112mm

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I think if you go with the 112 mm you’re not gonna see much gain if any over the 103mm unless you’re making/going for power. If my memory serves me correctly the bigger throttle body similar to the 112mm on the Hellcat platform was much harder to tune on those cars, and there wasn’t much benefit,. It’s absolutely better to go bigger if the throttle body is a choke point, but I don’t think it will be in your application at 103mm.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I'd reach out to whipple and see what they say. With it being a street car, I'd be mostly concerned about losing some of the granularity of the part throttle control. The bigger throttle body may or may not make it feel more sensitive at part throttle when you're trying to just cruise and pull in/out of the driveway, etc.

If it's drive by wire, you can tune the throttle curve to less responsive at part throttle. Almost like the secondaries on a 4bbl carb that don't open until a certain throttle percentage.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I'd reach out to whipple and see what they say. With it being a street car, I'd be mostly concerned about losing some of the granularity of the part throttle control. The bigger throttle body may or may not make it feel more sensitive at part throttle when you're trying to just cruise and pull in/out of the driveway, etc.

If it's drive by wire, you can tune the throttle curve to less responsive at part throttle. Almost like the secondaries on a 4bbl carb that don't open until a certain throttle percentage.
It’s going to be DBW as DBC would require a special bracket to be made by someone. The 3.0 isn’t set up for DBC

Reactions: sktchy

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
On the coyotes they run big throttle body’s on whipples, I had a 134mm on my Roush blower, the whipple stage 2 is a 150mm I think they make 160’s or possibly bigger now for the 3.0 whipple, going from like a 100 to a 140 would be a noticeable difference, 10mm isn’t going to be worth the extra money

Jesus 140?!?!

Reactions: sktchy

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
With a PD blower, bigger is usually better. I would definitely ask your tuner though.
893767A4-3216-454B-9B40-ACBEBF0584FC.jpeg

You can fit a grapefruit in this thing! Lol
Im running a Holley 92mm throttle body on my combo with a S491 turbo and have no plans on going larger
Turbo/centri’s and PD blowers are going to react vastly different when it comes to TB size.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info