Tax return season:Responsible adult or man child?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
If I get anything will be going towards some bills. Anything left over is going in savings for some drywall repair and/or new floors.

#adulting

WANT to spend on get my new set of wheels powder coated and a tune for the Flex, but that ain’t happening.

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
Ended up taking it in the pants pretty hard on taxes last year for $50K due to an accounting mistake made with one of our personal businesses. Big time lesson learned there...

Because of my wife and I being international employees, the company has EY do our final taxes. Ends up being a pain in the ass and they essentially do our taxes twice. First is as international employees and second is as if we were still in the US. They adjust our effective the tax so we don't get penalized due to other countries effective tax rates so it evens out. Problem is that they always file an extension and frequently get a second extension. It winds up that our returns are not really finalized (and get any refunds) until nearly a year later than what is usual yet if we owe it's due in the normal schedule.

Not much idea yet how the new tax plan will benefit us yet but have a meeting with our accountant this week to find out.

I really hope to get money back this year because of losses we took in 2017 for expenses. If there's any surplus it will just get absorbed by our business.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
21ac2706703ddbb246b7520d78e6fe19.jpg

All towards this.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I filed my tax return and chose to be a man child.

I have been feeling constrained on my NAS because I simply don't have any expandability in terms of open drive bays if I want to expand, or replace one of the arrays. When I last expanded the FreeNAS server from 16TB to 32TB, I was forced to build an entirely separate system, then transfer data between them over a Gigabit Ethernet wire. Which sadly only transferred at barely 30MB/s.

It took over 5 days straight to move the data.

So, I've decided to fix that with the Tax return since I actually paid off the credit cards, and only have the Focus RS loan right now.

One, 24bay hot-swap SAS/SATA Norco server case. The Server case has 6 back-planes, so I need 6 SAS ports to have full functionality. I also bought Noctua silent fans to replace all the OEM fans with ultra-silent fans.
11-219-038-17.jpg

One LSI SAS 9201-16i internal SAS/SATA card supporting 16 drives @ full speed, but up to 512 drives with a SAS expander. Its older, but for regular spinny drives will have enough I/O to support the arrays. SSD's could be problematic, but I have the internal SATA3 ports for those.
51Ct3tqqppL._SX355_.jpg

But that only has 4 ports, and I need 6. So I ordered an additional LSI SAS9211-8i card. I will have to cross-flash it to make it compatible, but there is plenty of info on how to do it.
9211-8i_cover.jpg

I also got all the required cables.

So, this will let me install my new 32TB array in the case, along with my old 16TB array. And will still leave 14 bays open for more hard drives in the future. So it will be easy and fast to migrate from an old array to a new one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info