Tail of the Dragon 2018

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The trip can be done inexpensively. Fuel is the wild card obviously. But if you stay in the Fontana Resort cabins, cook your own food, and limit expensive activities it isn't that bad. And you still have a lot of options and fun. Then from there get hotel rooms or look into home rentals. This is the place a group of friends and I are staying at next year that sleeps 16 people.

https://elitedestinationhomes.com/vacations/forge-lake-lodge/

That's a gorgeous home. Not bad for the price too.

I'd love to do the Tail. That part of the country is beautiful.

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
Awesome write up Jim!

Agree with so much said here. It’s a real experience to travel down there and enjoy it.
The wife and I wrapped up a similar trip last month but different areas covered.

This thread has inspired me to do a write up of our adventure as well so folks can see some of the other awesome things to do there.
I’ll just leave this pic here:

3BYZubl.jpg

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
I have been going down to that area in the spring the past two years with some Ohio friends and [MENTION=61]The Broken Regal[/MENTION] . We have been flying into Atlanta and renting a "fun" car. This really makes a 3 day weekend doable since you arnt blowing 2 days just driving. You can spend a weekend down here or a week. Plenty of stuff to see and do. Atlanta is about 3 hour scenic drive to Robinsville (Tail of the dragon). You can fly closer into Knoxville or Ashville and have half the drive but the tickets are more and they do not have a good selection of rental cars. The first year we flew into Atlanta rented a Camaro SS and stayed in a Hotel in knoxville. Not only was the drive from Atlanta alot further but the drive down to all the "action" was boring. So we were basically driving 1.5 hours each way to get to the "good" roads. This year we flew into Atlanta again. I rented a manual 5.0 mustang. We split a cabin with a few dudes that was 15 minutes from Tail of the Dragon. This was the best option and I spent under $1000 for a long weekend. Flight, car, gas, cabin, food included.

People around here talk about Sheridan road in Glencoe and Starved Rock being SICK driving roads. I can just laugh. No roads in the Chicago area or Midwest can compare to this area. Tail of the Dragon is the center of attraction for driving but really ALL the roads down there are good. I make no exaggeration. Anywhere inside or around Smoky Mountain National Park are good. I myself don't really like Tail of the Dragon. I can make one "run" down and back and be good for the weekend. Some guys im with can drive it all day long. I think the biggest turnoff for me at least is the traffic and the fact that most people driving on that stretch are really pushing it to the limit. Its not a track. Its not a closed road. You really need to watch your shit. Our group would always make a run or two on the dragon first thing in the morning and then go explore other areas. I can't imagine how bad it gets during the summer on a nice day. I personally like the Skyway. The Dragon seemed a big much for the Camaro and Mustang I had. They are just big cars. Id like to try something smaller even if it has way less power.

Highly recommend anyone that loves driving or nature to head down. I am surprised TCG hasn't got anything together over the years.

I’ve tried to get interest in this, but it never gains any traction. I’ve driven a lot of the roads down there like you, and it just blows away anything home can offer.

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
Nice writeup, Jim. Indeed it was a great trip! I don't have anything to add really.

Definitely a trip that needs another.... tho I gotta say, I'm really tempted to trailer down next time. While the Cayman survived, and I was surprisingly comfortable.... but I was tired of dodging pot holes and pavement cracks by the time we got home. JRZs and 700# springs don't make for that great of a roadtrip vehicle.

We logged just over 2,000 miles, including the loop down to Atlanta. We rented an SUV while in Atlanta (Kia Sorento - actually not all terrible of a ride).

I think my favorite was that road we hit as a group on Friday. Loafer's something? Not as tight as Deals Gap but flowed better, better vistas overall.

And I still think that the locals down there just overall drive weird. I got really tired dealing with people who would speed up (speed up 10+mph) just to not let me merge... only to fall off 10-20mph once I forced myself in anyways.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I would love to do this in the Cadillac.

I think part of the reason people here don't express much interest is the distance. I would get this when I would try to set up longer cruises in our CHC group.

When you start having to plan out time off from work, hotels, trips, etc., people balk.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Due to the distance, this is a vacation type trip for sure. A 4 day trip at a minimum. Two days down and two days there. The longer the trip the better.

If you want to make it a long weekend type trip you have to do what Panda said and fly down and rent a car. But I am sure many of us would like to drive our own cars down there. Especially since our cars are usually more modified for this than a rental car. But gets you a quick trip to try it out.

I know they offer a Tail "Taxi" service now. Where you go on ride alongs with a driver in different types of cars. I heard they might have a small amount of sports cars to rent as well. So could be options for some people who would like to meet a group down there as well.

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
I would love to do this in the Cadillac.

I think part of the reason people here don't express much interest is the distance. I would get this when I would try to set up longer cruises in our CHC group.

When you start having to plan out time off from work, hotels, trips, etc., people balk.

Just about any "cruise" within a single day (out and back) of Chicago pretty much sucks.

Sure you can go up through Kettle Moraine, some beautiful stuff up there, or out towards the MS river, Starved Rock, or Galena - but it's like 1% of what you get down south. There's really no comparison.

I think in order to pull off a "group" you have to get guys that just flat-out like *driving*. Preferably with people that don't ask to stop every 90 miles to pee like my beloved......

I love roadtrips. Especially roadtrips where I'm solo in the car. I flip back and forth between total silence (just engine noise, tire noise, windows down), my music, audiobooks, etc. As an introvert I love the solitude.

But 8-12 hours in the car is definitely a LONG day. And you have to plan for 2 FULL days of travel. One down, one back. Then however many days you want to spend in the middle. IMO it's really a week long trip.

For us it worked out well because we are looking at moving to Atlanta. It made for an easy excuse to just divert the extra 3 hours. If we had no intention of moving down there, it would've been a harder sell to convince the wife to go.

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
See that’s why I’m saying the vette is so awesome, I had zero fatigue and the drives felt short. Though having done the trip 6 times this year I’m getting pretty use to it, though Indiana still sucks. Ain’t no fixing that

Your car isn't also on full monoball suspension.

Having ridden in the Vette tho, I can agree - it's an excellent road trip car. Cushy soft seats (with heat and ventilation), and a decent stereo.

TBH after that trip I started trying to justify adding 300lbs of stereo equipment to my car. Two 4.5" speakers in the door just ain't cutting it for anything but background noise on short trips.

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
Same with the drivers. It seemed they were willing to merge correctly for construction lanes and so on. I mean, compared to Chicago drivers, I can't imagine them being worse! haha

We all noticed it. Bizarre, really. Nobody wanted to let you "in front".

The times I'd roll back (after seeing them speed up to close the gap) I'd tuck in behind them.... and they'd slow back down. Inevitably it always happened when it was a line of trucks in the right lane, or a construction zone... to where I'd have to step it up a lot to catch back up to the pack.

Annoying. I figure it's more the locals hatin on the yankees coming down to their area in their expensive cars. *shrug*

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
But 8-12 hours in the car is definitely a LONG day. And you have to plan for 2 FULL days of travel. One down, one back. Then however many days you want to spend in the middle. IMO it's really a week long trip.

For us it worked out well because we are looking at moving to Atlanta. It made for an easy excuse to just divert the extra 3 hours. If we had no intention of moving down there, it would've been a harder sell to convince the wife to go.

If you drive down I fell it has to be a 6-8 day trip. So you get to relax and enjoy the time down there.

We also drive down to Nashville and stay the night there. It is a 7.5-8 hour drive. Then leaves a 4 hour drive to the Tail. It breaks up the driving some and spending a night out in Nashville is fun. Well if you like music, bars, and what not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info