SRT-4 Reliability/Problems

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
:bowrofl: Wouldn't that be like water injection lol j/k! My buddy beats the living sh*t out of his srt-4 and he's only broken the trans so far and roasted the stock clutch. Its a 30r car so it was bound to happen anyways. If you don't drive the car super hard all the time i can't imagine anything really going wrong. The bad side.... show me 5 srt-4's that haven't gotten molested... You are better off finding at gto with a warranty, mpg's would be the same anyways lol.

This one APPEARS bone stock, but yes, MPG's are gonna be about the same, and I'd more than likely be able to get a warranty. I also have a bit more faith in a LS1 than a stressed out 4 banger handling abuse.

I still want to test drive it for shits and grins, Maybe it will blow me away compared to the GTO I drove? :hs: (Doubtful, but I've only driven a Manual GT Mustang, and an Auto GTO so far, I still have a few more on the list)

inb411thsrtvsgtothread :ugh:

I'd take a super cavalier over a SRT any day......think about it do you pay more attention to the 4 cylinder 4 door or the big V8 2 door?

No GTO comparisons, they are very very VERY different cars, they just both fit the Bill for my needs and I was curious about reliability issues etc.

I am not going to ask any more stupid "What would you guys get" questions, because when it comes down to it, Its what I want, thats why I'm more interested in Feedback opposed to "WWYD" kinda crap.

still a neon

and a dodge

and fwd

and tiny

and the list goes on... and on...

All I need to do for this post is: :bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

Last edited:

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
i didnt have stockers when i bought my car....and its a turbo car. it was probably abused in one form or another. check the engine bay or signs of vac lines being pulled or replaced since u can removed quite a few vac lines when u go to a different wastegate

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
id buy a beat one - everyone beats on them and they all still run - i think you have to be a complete fucking idiot to break that car - ive beat the shit out of mine since mile 4 and not one problem - its got 70k on her now - like i said before couple small mods for better economy and its good to go... and some snow tires!!!

and yes they come stock with 205-50-17s

would much rather have a srt4 over the half baked idea...a.k.a. GTO

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
well you cant buy a new srt4 so with that thought, thats like saying no one should ever buy a used srt4. i bought both my evo and srt used and w/ the exception of a weird clutch on the evo, both cars ran like champs. you have to expect ANY used car you buy to be beaten on

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
:rofl: you have the 6banger or the 4banger?

6 but the base models came with n/a 2.4's. AND the r/t's in mexico came with a turbo 2.4 just like the pt bruiser GT.

whatever swap das mentioned would be more work than the srt drivetrain swap since that motor is completely different and my platform is completely different. That would be the same as me trying to swap in a GM 3.8 into my car...
I'd rather have my 2.7 than that mitsu 3.0 anyways....

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
I like them and hope to transplant it's drivetrain into my car someday....

Dodge got the SRT4s engine from mexico i believe. They had the turbo 2.4 in the stratus, or avenger whatever the fuck you want to call it.
From wikipedia:

In Mexico, the Stratus R/T came in a turbocharged version. The Stratus R/T's turbocharged 2.4 L engine went through some improvements in 2001, when power was increased to 215 hp (160 kW). This improved engine would later be used in the U.S. in the Dodge SRT-4 and PT Cruiser GT. Stratus R/T engines built from March 2004 and later generated 225 hp (168 kW) at 5200 rpm and 235 lb·ft (319 N·m) of torque at 4200 rpm. Stratus R/T models with the turbocharged engine could be recognized by a rear badge saying "Turbo".

My buddies ACR is going strong after 53K miles. over 30k of that is with his stage 3 and a little daryl cox exhaust manifold work. Stock clutch too, and if you knew him you'd know that he doesn't baby his car. Though he has never beat an STi on the highway, one kept equal with him, but pulled away at 150mph. Was a car length ahead by 170. It was some fucked up STi.

Don't say the stories bullshit, cause i've been in his car at 170mph in high octane mode. I was crying in the passenger seat thinking of how i was going to get out of a pancaked neon.

4DRZ06

Addict
Jul 3, 2008
Reno Nv
Real Name
BRIAN
I had my srt4 for about 4 years and brought it to the track 22 pounds of boost and a whole bunch of other shit and it was still a show car. the only problem is the axles are weak and i broke a motor mount i dont care what anybody says about these they are built GREAT and most of the car is NOT a neon, the front the suspension the motor the trans the brakes is not neon components. Would i buy a neon fuck no, but i would buy another srt in a heart beat. And i say that from owning many different cars.

most are beat but you can always tell which one is and isnt.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
I think the SRT-4 is a little beast and I haven't heard anything about them being unreliable except from people that are complete fucking idiots. Yours will be unreliable shortly after you get it, but I think your chances of buying one that is reliable to start out with are very high.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
2003 Total Production = 3199
Black = 816
Bright Silver Metallic = 619
Flame Red = 733
Solar Yellow = 1031
2004 Total Production = 9206
Black = 2696
Bright Silver Metallic = 2039
Flame Red = 2050
Electric Blue = 2421
2005 Total Production = 8418
Black = 2763
Flame Red = 2186
Orange Blast = 1800
Stone White = 1669

Total = 20553

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info