💬 OT Solar Eclipse April 8, 2024

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Solar eclipse is near and and seen this warning -

From schools closing , to being told to stock up on food and shoes, and traffic issues for some states.

Full List of Solar Eclipse Closures, Warnings BY ANNA SKINNER NEWSWEEK UPDATED MARCH 22, 2024 8:10 AM Full List of Solar Eclipse Closures, Warnings. The total solar eclipse Monday August 21, 2017 in Madras, Oregon.

The upcoming solar eclipse has spurred an array of closures and warnings throughout the states within the path of totality. Getty Several solar eclipse closures and warnings have been issued in the weeks leading up to the astronomical phenomenon, impacting the everyday lives of people who live and work in areas along the path of totality.

On April 8, the moon will be positioned so that the entire disc of the sun will be blocked by it. The phenomenon will be visible in several U.S. states, plunging millions of people into darkness during the early afternoon. The path of totality will start in Mexico and extend across Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine before heading over the North Atlantic. TOP VIDEOS The spectacle is expected to draw crowds from around the country as people head to cities and towns in the path of totality to witness the eclipse.

Officials have voiced concerns about stretched public safety resources, an "enormous strain" on local hospitals and congested roadways. The closures and warnings issued are as follows:

SCHOOLS Hundreds of schools have announced closures during the solar eclipse or opted for e-learning days, citing student safety. Some schools still have solar eclipse activities planned despite their closures, including in Hays County, Texas. The school previously planned to be open for the event and even purchased enough viewing glasses for all students so they could safely observe the eclipse. Glasses will now be sent home with students, along with "fun activities and assignments for eclipse day," Hays school district spokesperson Tim Savoy told Newsweek in a statement. Several universities also have decided to cancel classes for the day, such as Indiana University, which has several campuses within the path of totality. University of Texas at Austin is among the colleges canceling classes because of the eclipse. Instead, the university will plan a campus-wide viewing experience during the eclipse, although it is not mandatory for students to attend, a spokesperson from the university told Newsweek.

FOOD, MEDICINE AND GAS At least four states have urged residents to stock up on groceries and gas and to fill medical prescriptions in the days leading up to the eclipse, as traffic is expected to overwhelm local roads and could make accessing grocery stores or pharmacies difficult. Texas is among the states warning residents to stock up. Kerr County Judge Rob Kelly issued a disaster declaration on March 4 stating that the influx of visitors could "drain our food and fuel supplies and strain our city and county infrastructure to, quite possibly, over capacity." Kelly suggested that pet owners purchase enough supplies, including food, for their pets before the eclipse occurs.

TRAFFIC Several state transportation departments, police departments and other agencies and organizations have published information about what motorists can expect on the day of the solar eclipse, which could include up to 12 hours of traffic delays, according to the New York State Police. The Supreme Court of New York also warned that the solar eclipse could bring excessive traffic to Rochester, potentially delaying commute to court. "Parties who have opted for in-person argument are strongly encouraged to arrive early to account for potential delays," the warning said. "Alternatively, these parties have until the close of business on Wednesday, April 3, to elect to argue remotely, should they find it more feasible. "It is imperative to emphasize that parties who are not present when their case is called will be deemed submitted in accordance with court rules." POLICE Some police agencies, such as the New York State Police, have been planning for the eclipse for more than two years.

The New York State Police has published a list of warnings for people, including that cell phone service may be interrupted given the enormous number of visitors on the day of the eclipse. "The New York State Police has developed an emergency operation plan in collaboration with other state, local, and federal law enforcement, emergency services and transportation agencies," the press release said. "The purpose of the planning process for this event, is to address the potential impacts within the North Country and to minimize any negative effects associated with such a large influx of visitors to the local area," the agency added. "Strike Teams will be strategically deployed to monitor traffic and respond rapidly to any issues that may interfere with the safe flow of traffic or affect the quick clearance of any incidents.

Newsweek reached out to the New York State Police by email for comment. Related Articles Solar Eclipse Sparks Warning About Cell Phones Solar Eclipse Sparks Warning About Sudden Weather Changes Solar Eclipse Sparks Warning About Dogs 2024 NEWSWEEK DIGITAL LLC. This story was originally published March 22, 2024, 7:34 AM.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article286998900.html#storylink=cpy

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Holy shit, what a dumb way to incite panic. Literally none of those effects are going to happen. There are going to be two things to worry about. One, looking directly at it without the proper eye protection (this is okay if you are a former president though), and the traffic for those trying to get to a good view area to see totality.

That's it.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021

Little fun leading up to the big one even though I can't see it due to weather.
They don't mention it but astrologically the moon is in libra right now and this is the first eclipse of the lunar new year so if your into that kind of thing, expect this light to shine on those placements and it's chart ruler venus accordingly.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Wife and kids are going to go down to Indy to see it. Indy is right under the direct path of this or some shit. They have their special glasses and shit. Wife asked if I wanted a pair (I'm not going BTW... ) I looked at her and said "fuck no..." Jesus Christ, I survived looking straight up at the last one in 2017/18, I'll survive looking staright at it again. They spend soo much time sowing fear that you're gonna die if you look at it. GTFO!

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
200.gif

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Whatever I see from my backyard is what I’m going to see. Tried making plans to get in the path of totality and pretty much everyone made other plans, even though I started asking months ago. Losing interest pretty quickly in it.

Definitely not going anywhere near major north/south arteries.

Reactions: sktchy

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
Nice headline, people having anxiety about not seeing the eclipse. GTFO

Solar eclipse cloud forecast means anxiety for totality tourists hoping for clear skies​

Laurae Pearson said she's a “little worried” a cross-country roadtrip to see the eclipse might end with a cloudy view. "Eclipse evangelist" Clint Werner hopes his trip from San Francisco to Cleveland will give him a good view of his 21st eclipse. And astrophysicist Antonella Fruscione is constantly refreshing the weather forecast.

Millions of Americans are awaiting a rare solar eclipse on April 8 — nearly the whole country will have a chance to look up and see at least a small portion of the moon clip the sun. But people who made plans to visit the narrow path of totality for the best show are confronting some fickle cloud forecasts that may put a damper on their plans.

Fruscione and 18 friends – some coming from as far away as Europe – have been planning this trip since they all caught the solar eclipse together in Idaho in 2017. The group has flights and lodging booked to Texas to catch this eclipse in a prime spot.

The anxiety about the eclipse being clouded out is “palpable,” in San Antonio, Fruscione hears from a friend who lives there. So her group, based in New England, is going to make it a game-day call about making the Texas trip — but they plan to view the celestial spectacle “no matter what. When you see a total eclipse, it’s such an incredible experience that all you want to do is see the next one.”

Their chosen viewing spot of San Antonio could be dicey. Recent forecasts have said some kind of clouds are likely in Texas, along with most places along the path of totality, the narrow band of the country that will be directly in the moon's shadow as it crosses the sun.

Forecasters are more optimistic about the northern part of the path, with "Clear skies ... most likely in northern New England and upstate New York, and possible in Arkansas and Missouri," according to a Tuesday forecast from the Weather Prediction Center, a branch of the National Weather Service.

If the weather in Texas is looking bad Fruscione's group might lose money on their flights and hotels but will still be able to make the drive to another spot in the path of totality that currently has a more favorable weather outlook: Vermont.

“We are ‘lucky’ because we are in Boston, so we still live two hours away by car from the path of totality. So this is why we can make this decision,” she said.

The National Weather Service's Weather Prediction Center is updating its forecast for the eclipse every day.

The National Weather Service's Weather Prediction Center is updating its forecast for the eclipse every day.

A party in Ohio will go on, regardless of clouds​

Clint Werner of San Francisco is heading to Cleveland to see the eclipse and is hopeful clouds won’t get in the way.

“I’ve got a good feeling” the self-proclaimed "eclipse evangelist," 63, said.

For Werner, eclipses are “elating and mind-altering, you are put in euphoric amazement.” This will be his 21st eclipse and his husband’s 20th.

“Our first date I asked if he wanted to go to Chile to see the eclipse and he said ‘Sure.’”

Which is why changing venues isn’t an option for them. Cleveland won’t simply be a chance to experience awe, “the whole cosmic relationship between us and the heavens,” it’s also a big 30th anniversary and eclipse viewing party with friends and family.

“We’ve got too many people coming, we’ve made this an event,” he said. But as much as he loves eclipses, he's not distressed, partly because he's hopeful for clear weather and partly because he knows whatever happens “we’ll have a great time, a beautiful friends and family reunion.”

There's science behind his good feeling. Clouds, particularly shallow cumulus clouds, tend to vanish during a solar eclipse. Just 15% of the sun needs to be obscured by the moon before some clouds disappear, according to new research published Feb. 12 in the journal "Communications Earth & Environment."

Having been to 21 eclipses, he's only been “clouded out” three times. And even those experiences can be significant, Werner said.

In 2019 in South America there were clouds and he found himself in despair. But when the actual eclipse came it was still monumental despite them.

“If you have a good vantage point and a nice 360° view, especially if you’re elevated or in a big flat field, you can see the shadow coming at you. And you can see it on the bottom of the clouds sometimes and have that coming towards you. And then you get the sudden plunge into darkness,” he said.

The annular eclipse of the sun pokes out through the clouds during a watch party at the Fleischmann Planetarium in Reno, Nevada on Oct. 14, 2023.

The annular eclipse of the sun pokes out through the clouds during a watch party at the Fleischmann Planetarium in Reno, Nevada on Oct. 14, 2023.

Checking the weather from the road​

A year ago Laurae Pearson, 58 and her husband Kevin Weil, 58, decided to leave their San Francisco home to see the 2024 solar eclipse. They ended up making the viewing part of a 17-day cross-country trip that’s so far included hiking in Zion and Bryce national parks, visiting the Navajo Nation with a planned ending to visit family in Texas.

“We have some friends driving down from Chicago who will meet us, it’s a very celebratory and celestial event,” she said from the car as they headed into Arizona.

She admits she’s a “little worried” and is tracking weather and storm reports every day but so far they haven’t adjusted their travel plans and she doesn’t think they will.

“Mother Nature is going to do what Mother Nature is going to do,” she said. “Hopefully we’ll see an amazing event but even if it’s a disappointment, it’s about the journey and having a wonderful time seeing our family.”

Texas organizer says don't give up hope​

In Texas, Downtown Dallas's Chief Marketing Officer Shalissa Perry said it's still a bit early to know exactly what the visibility will be but officials there "are keeping an eye on it."

"We plan to host our viewing party rain (or cloudy) or shine and it will still be a spectacular day downtown regardless of the eclipse visibility," Perry said. "We have a full lineup of exciting events planned for the entire weekend leading up to the eclipse – and the weather looks magnificent for the weekend."

She cited the National Weather Service Fort Worth's announcement on April 2: “The forecast for Eclipse Day continues to be cloudy, however, not all hope is lost! Widespread upper cloud cover is likely, but dense low clouds look less likely. Don't focus on the exact areas, just yet, as these forecasts will change a bit each day.”

Former NASA astronaut Commander Terry Virts got to see an eclipse from space in 2015, so while he’s eager to see this one Earth-side, he’s not too worried about the weather.

“It is a good idea to have a backup plan, but it’s hard to be certain that one area nearby will be clear and your spot will be cloudy. You’ll have to make that call early in the day before you can really be sure where the clouds will be. I will be staying put in my spot and hoping for the best!” he said of his favored perch in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas area, which is in the path of the totality.

“Even if we can’t see the sun directly, it will get very dark outside, which will be surreal,” he said. “Not as good as having a clear sky, but a total eclipse on a cloudy day should be very interesting.”

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Solar eclipse weather forecast means anxiety for totality tourists

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I'm forced to take a day unpaid or a vacation day. All the local schools are closed. I honestly had no idea how big of a deal this was projected to be until about a week ago. It's supposed to be a crappy day too, so I'm sure the closures will be for nothing.
The closed the schools?! WTF

My kid's school is teaching them about it and said they'll be outside with those special glasses on to view it, if they can.

Donald Trump Meme GIF

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
The closed the schools?! WTF

My kid's school is teaching them about it and said they'll be outside with those special glasses on to view it, if they can.

Donald Trump Meme GIF
The schools here are selling parking spaces which include use of the bathrooms. I get not wanting a bunch of strangers coming in and out of the schools while kids are there, but wtf.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
The schools here are selling parking spaces which include use of the bathrooms. I get not wanting a bunch of strangers coming in and out of the schools while kids are there, but wtf.
So this means your property taxes will go down because of the school's additional income, right.... right?

That's fucking bullshit.

Thread Info