So. They want to sign the new UN small arms treaty

dmint

Regular
Aug 15, 2005
Hoffman Estates
Banning sales of hand guns within a municipality is not unconstitutional. Chicago is also strongly democratic and the ordinance was unanimously overturned. It had nothing to do with the NRA or republicans.

Brian - the NRA had nothing to due with, zero involvement in overturning the Chicago ordinance?

You beat me to it! The NRA had everything to do with getting this overturned! The NRA are the ones that sued Chicago and Oak Lawn. They were also awarded by the judge to be repaid all their legal costs from both cities!

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
This, nowhere in the 2nd amendment does it say that guns need to be readily available for sale everywhere.

Playing devil's advocate here, I think there needs to be some restrictions on the sale of guns to include classes and instruction about their safety and usage. I think the majority of issues that come from accidental deaths is from people who own guns but don't know how to use them or how to secure them away properly.

Disagree, gun safety classes are available, but i dont think should be mandatory with the purchase of a firearm. If you are dumb enough to accidently shoot yourself, good, one less retard I need to pass going 5 under the speed limit in the left lane.

Im so sick of this overprotective bullshit, esp parents with young kids. My kid falls and hits his head I laugh and he just keeps on doing what he was doing. Most people we know jump up and grab the little pussy like he fell on broken glass.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Disagree, gun safety classes are available, but i dont think should be mandatory with the purchase of a firearm. If you are dumb enough to accidently shoot yourself, good, one less retard I need to pass going 5 under the speed limit in the left lane.

Im so sick of this overprotective bullshit, esp parents with young kids. My kid falls and hits his head I laugh and he just keeps on doing what he was doing. Most people we know jump up and grab the little pussy like he fell on broken glass.

I'm going to worried about when my kids go over to their friends house and their friend is waving around the gun his dad keeps in the underwear drawer.

The main issue I see is, people that grew up around guns and gun culture generally know how to use, secure, and be safe with guns. It is the asshats that buy a gun "to keep their house safe" have never seen a gun that are the problem. I could care less if they kill themselves, but I care about their children and other innocent people that are killed by their stupidity.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Our kids are more likely to get run over by a knucklehead texting than a knucklehead with a gun.

Exactly the reason there are laws that are supposed to prevent people from texting and driving. Because as much as we'd like to believe people are going to do the right thing, we have to create laws and regulations that try and prevent people from doing stupid shit. And that sometimes means holding their hand.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I already disagreed with the handgun ban. I'm not entirely sure how that got signed into law to tell you the truth because it's ridiculously in violation of the Constitution. The Constitution does not guarantee you the right to sell firearms tho, so no, nothing is "backwards as fuck."

This shows that you have 0 concept of law, layers of government, the Constitution, sovereignty of states under the Constitution, etc. You don't need an amendment to the Constitution to create a law. The Constitution is in place to create a basis of rules that may not be strayed from by the states under which it governs. The only thing your "example" shows is that the Constitution is still working because the ONLY THING to overturn the 19th amendment of prohibition was ANOTHER AMENDMENT! Creating and passing the 19th Amendment has nothing to do with "respect" for the Constitution. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that all laws governing the land of the US have to be created as Amendments to the Constitution.

And where did that annotated document on the treaty come from? I'm really not understanding why people are getting so worked up about national gun controls when all that document talks about is the INTERNATIONAL TRADE OF GUNS.

and i said this where?

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
Exactly the reason there are laws that are supposed to prevent people from texting and driving. Because as much as we'd like to believe people are going to do the right thing, we have to create laws and regulations that try and prevent people from doing stupid shit. And that sometimes means holding their hand.

Yeah and those laws don't seem to stop anyone from doing it just like silly gun restrictions. Funny how the areas with the strictest gun laws seem to have the most gun violence. 12 dead in Colorado? That's just an average weekend in Chicago.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
And I don't want to limit people having guns, I want to make sure they know how to properly own and maintain a gun. That is in no way limiting anyone's constitutional right.

Most likely an hr class isnt going to change said asshat from being an asshat. Gun safety is pretty much common sense and the people that leave loaded weapons where a child can get to them are probably too stupid and ignorant to do anything different because they took a class.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
and i said this where?

sickmint79 said:
the reality is we've strayed so far from that it's ridiculous, where you can interpret anything you want from it now.

example: we respected the constitution enough to pass the 19th amendment to prohibit alcohol.

today we have no such amendment, yet we prohibit the wildly less harmful marijuana, which even a simple majority of americans i believe would now legalize.
You are clearly implying that you believe that in order to ban something it must be done as an amendment to the Constitution.

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
Most likely an hr class isnt going to change said asshat from being an asshat. Gun safety is pretty much common sense and the people that leave loaded weapons where a child can get to them are probably too stupid and ignorant to do anything different because they took a class.

Without naming anything specifically, me thinks there's already a law in place that would land you in a world of shit should your kid get a hold of your gun and shoot someone with it. Not to mention the lawsuit that would follow.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Without naming anything specifically, me thinks there's already a law in place that would land you in a world of shit should your kid get a hold of your gun and shoot someone with it. Not to mention the lawsuit that would follow.

Some owners may decide to address this by educating their kids on gun safety and appropriate use.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Your the parent. You make your kids do what you want. It's called being responsible.

Kids are stupid, you can beat it into them as much as possible. You teach them to hopefully be smart, and you can help choose your kids friends, but when it boils down to it, you can't tell if your kids friends parents are people that are responsible with a gun, or if he is some pencil pusher lawyer or business man that wanted a gun. They look seemingly normal and responsible, but the point I'm trying to make is, you NEVER really know a person. I don't care if you've been married to them for 50 years.

Shells_04

TCG Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Elgin, Il
Kids are stupid, you can beat it into them as much as possible. You teach them to hopefully be smart, and you can help choose your kids friends, but when it boils down to it, you can't tell if your kids friends parents are people that are responsible with a gun, or if he is some pencil pusher lawyer or business man that wanted a gun. They look seemingly normal and responsible, but the point I'm trying to make is, you NEVER really know a person. I don't care if you've been married to them for 50 years.

I wouldn't say kids are stupid. They just don't know any better most times or haven't been taught well enough. Otherwise I agree with your statement

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
So I just received an email:

NRA STOPS U.N. Arms Trade Treaty said:
U.N. ATT Conference Comes to an Impasse

The Conference on the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty (U.N. ATT) has broken down and will not report a draft treaty to the member nations.

This is a big victory for American gun owners, and the NRA is being widely credited for killing the U.N. ATT.

For nearly 20 years, the NRA has worked tirelessly to warn American gun owners about the United Nations’ efforts to undermine the constitutional rights of law-abiding American gun owners by putting in place international controls on small arms.

NRA became a recognized Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) and has monitored all U.N. activities that could impact on our Second Amendment rights. As a result, NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre testified before the U.N. (2012 remarks, 2011 remarks) making it clear that the NRA would fight any international treaty that included civilian arms.

NRA worked with our allies in the U.S. Congress and successfully assembled strong bipartisan opposition to any treaty that adversely impacts the Second Amendment. On two occasions NRA was successful in convincing a majority of the U.S. Senate to sign letters to President Obama that made it clear that any treaty that included civilian arms was not going to be ratified by the U.S. Senate.

Yesterday (July 26), Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) gathered the signatures of 51 Senators on a letter to President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton opposing any treaty that infringes on our rights. The letter stated "As the treaty process continues, we strongly encourage your administration not only to uphold our country's constitutional protections of civilian firearms ownership, but to ensure--if necessary, by breaking consensus at the July conference--that the treaty will explicitly recognize the legitimacy of lawful activities associated with firearms, including but not limited to the right of self-defense. As members of the United States Senate, we will oppose the ratification of any Arms Trade Treaty that falls short of this standard."

NRA members made their voices heard on this issue as well, calling their elected representatives and urging their opposition to the treaty. As a result, 130 members of the U.S. House of Representatives have voiced strong opposition to the treaty.

During the past week, it became increasingly possible that the Conference would fail to come to an agreement on draft language. On Thursday, the Conference President produced yet another draft of the ATT in an effort to salvage the process. The new draft, like previous ones, was wholly incompatible with the Second Amendment rights protected by our Constitution.

The proponents of the treaty have goals that are clearly at odds with the American Constitution. Their refusal to remove civilian arms from the treaty was one major issue that led to the breakdown in negotiations. The U.S. delegation made it clear that they could not move forward with the language as it had been drafted.

While this conference has failed to complete a treaty, the proponents will not give up. It is likely that a new conference will be held in the future and NRA will continue to fight to protect the rights of American gun owners.

NRA maintains its steadfast opposition to any treaty that includes civilian arms in any way. NRA will continue to work with our allies, particularly in the U.S. Senate, to insure that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is not threatened by this or any future international treaty.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
This, nowhere in the 2nd amendment does it say that guns need to be readily available for sale everywhere.

Playing devil's advocate here, I think there needs to be some restrictions on the sale of guns to include classes and instruction about their safety and usage. I think the majority of issues that come from accidental deaths is from people who own guns but don't know how to use them or how to secure them away properly.

So at what point does this stop then? Cook Co. has no gun shops. What if Will, DuPage, DeKalb, Lake, Grundy, etc... all implement similiar laws? You cannot import a handgun from accross state lines without an FFL transfering it. So now you have to drive to where? How far away? An hour or two to purchase a gun? And then another hour or two to go to another shop to find a better price or different model? And then BACK 3 days later to pick it up? Bullshit. And before all of the "Here we go with the 'What Ifs' come rolling in, answer my first question in this post. If you can find a justifiable reason to allow one county to do this and then forbid every other county in IL from following suit I will concede.

Your the parent. You make your kids do what you want. It's called being responsible.

You're* :mamoru:

So I just received an email:

Nice!

This whole thing bugs the hell out of me. I like the fact that on this past Wednesday I could just walk into a shop, ask a few questions, hold it, agree to purchase, fill out paperwork for, and begin my 72 hr wait for a new gun in under half an hour. Oh, and buy a new pair of pants, too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info