Signs your fuel pump is about to go?

Nay_Sayer

Reaction score
I have 2004 Saab 9-5 with 250k on the clock. I've owned it for a few years and its never had issues starting other than when it needed a new crank position sensor. Went to start it on Saturday morning and it wouldn't crank on the first three times I turned the key. I tapped the gas pedal on the fourth turn and it started. Had no problems starting it for the rest of the day Saturday or Sunday. It started right up this morning [Monday] without issue. I drove it about one mile from my house and it sputtered once then just died while I was at a stop light. Started it back up and it died again. Started it again and was able by keep it running by lightly pressing the gas pedal for a few moments. Drove it 25 miles to work without issue. Are these signs that my fuel pump is on its way out?

Thanks

b4black

Reaction score
I'd say no. It could be an airflow problem at idle/off throttle. Clean the throttle body and IAC.

At low RPM, their should be plenty of fuel, even with a weak pump.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and connect it to the rail, see where the pressure is at.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
My response should have been more could be vs just yes.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
yeah i agree it may not be the pump and could be a sticky throttle body or airflow/spark issue.

Id do what Black says first since it basically cost nothing but time to clean it.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
On other GM vehicles (not sure about Saab) the FP safety switch and relay would go bad causing the pump to shut off. Is your oil sender working right?

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
When my fuel pump died in my Regal, it just stopped and refused to start again. No signs of failure at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom