📸 Photography sickmint79 takes you to thailand, the really long way

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
this thread will just be flights and airports really. i have 2 itineraries both ex-cairo that started out as cheap business class tickets as this was a way to get them cheaply. this ends up with my current itinerary being the longest, as it is a super indirect way of getting back to thailand as i combine multiple separate tickets. actually this stops me in malaysia, where i will spend a night and then do a flight the next day to the airport i'll exit to then take a shared van to my thai island.

ORD-LHR-CAI-AMM-BKK-KUL-KBV.
first/business/business/business/business/economy
BA/BA/RJ/RJ/MH/AK
Screenshot 2023-12-31 114650.png

i'm in for potential problems if my flight out of CAI itinerary gets whack, as they only run it tue thur sat sun and i'm taking it tue. it gets canceled for various reasons semi-frequently too. so hopefully all goes smoothly given the last leg flight and hotel reservations and given that this will include some days back to work.

Reactions: Z28Camaro

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
ORD-LHR. a christmas ohare T3, something i have flown through a lot in the past but not visited in some time.
PXL_20231231_204858685.jpg

there is now an admiral's lounge and flagship furst lounge here. the admiral's lounge is much better than it used to be. first is more limited to get in. note neither is included for flying domestic first class. these day's the easier way to access the admiral's lounge is with an AA cobranded card. the receptionist/agent was surprised i had different access than the woman they thought i was traveling with and found this confusing - i found it confusing because they thought i was traveling with someone. this same woman (3 agents staffing too) had checked someone in 5 minutes earlier to the other lounge, with the same (uncommon) last name as mine. i tried finding her on facebook and. linkedin to send a message and say hi, although didn't track her down and none of my fam were familiar with her. so the mystery connect never happened.
PXL_20231231_205534618.jpg

this is some of the dining stuff. i was surprised they didn't have their own serviced dining area - although i've been to one of these at JFK before that didn't so i should have known that. the united equivalent (polaris) does have a serviced area, i have some pics in another thread of it. got these and head over to T5 since that is where BA actually flies out of.
PXL_20231231_205953957.jpg

PXL_20231231_210407629.jpg

i got to T5 with an airside (past security) shuttle bus. it can take a while with traffic apparently (first time for me) but it was pretty quick. T5 looked nice and updated, my understanding is there is not a ton of lounge space available at all there period but BA does have a lounge there. i didn't see the regular part as there is a serviced dining area for first class, and after i was done eating, the flight was boarding. there were 2 of us flying (new year's eve flight) but just me here; there were 2 flight attendants for us in the cabin and they popped in to say hi while i was eating as well.
PXL_20231231_214323999.jpg

PXL_20231231_215650107.jpg

'shrimp & avocado with grapefruit and microgreens'
PXL_20231231_215806237.jpg

salmon with lobster nage
PXL_20231231_221648026.jpg

cheesecake
PXL_20231231_222521393.jpg

our bird, and an easier to capture french bird next to us
PXL_20231231_224417075.jpg

PXL_20231231_224552720.jpg

maybe the first row would be better as the 2 windows are closer to you, i had to lean out to use mine better. seat narrows but not as much as many others out there, and i actually found this to be one of the most comfortable plane beds i've had.

my understanding is economy seats cost ~$2000 and business/first seats range from $70k to $100k. wild to think they are spending that much on these things. designed to last 30 years but usually get retrofit out every 10.
PXL_20231231_225511495.jpg

the female flight attendant was a big fan of me drinking all their champagne, felt kinda dehydrated at some point later though lol.
PXL_20231231_230122984.jpg

lots of room, tv flips out. kind of a weird design i think as it didn't seem to have a hard affixed spot out, not that it was flopping all over while i watched anything though.
PXL_20231231_232949845.jpg

first class BA gift, not really sure what to do with it for myself but took it anyway. would have been nicer if i had first on the way to my p's
PXL_20240101_002231296.jpg

canapes
PXL_20240101_000744422.jpg

sliced ribeye steak starter
PXL_20240101_003950013.jpg

traditional christmas dinner (turkey)
PXL_20240101_010036599.jpg

chocolate walnut souffle
PXL_20240101_012554874.jpg

they made up the bed for me. i got jammies too. didn't keep them. i have kept the oman air and air india pajamas from prior flights, one of the few good things from air india. low light here but bed was quite good.
PXL_20240101_034604375.NIGHT.jpg

for breakfast i just had the ricotta and truffle omelette. no starters but probably should have tried them. just had OJ. not really a fan of transportation or airline breakfasts, but i'm about to have a bunch unfortunately. omelette was a bit dry.
PXL_20240101_061222280.jpg

although i was business out, my arrival in first allowed for access to the concorde room at LHR. this is british airway's most exclusive lounge. mostly just international first class.
PXL_20240101_073603416.jpg

PXL_20240101_073753130.jpg

PXL_20240101_073807151.jpg

the balcony part has a nice view of planes on the tarmac, and the tip of one of the concordes.
PXL_20240101_090007593.jpg

it has dining i was looking forward to.
PXL_20240101_073814691.jpg

unfortunately, it's early, so i'm in for another breakfast. i decided to try the full english - i figured what better place to have a traditional english breakfast than the concorde room at LHR? in reality, it was pretty disappointing. i've had much better on my small thai island. i didn't find anything particularly enjoyable outside of the bacon and tomato. it had black pudding, which i never tried before.... it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. the problem was it wasn't overall very good, so it feels like i'd owe black pudding another try elsewhere. although i'm certainly not going to go out of my way to order it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding
PXL_20240101_081741687.jpg

onto my next flight, an a321 neo in "club europe" - which is business class. unfortunately in europe this typically means they just block the middle seat and. you get economy seats. these are not even 'main cabin extra' type economy seats with greater seat pitch/legroom - they are just straight up economy. not only that, they are 29-30" - you'll find even most asian carriers on the same. plane run 30-32" - leaning towards usually having the latter. so yeah, the seats suck, for 5.5 hours LHR-CAI.
PXL_20240101_092624291.jpg

fun how the short chick who got in front of me hopped in and immediately reclined. no on board entertainment system. wifi, but it wasn't free, even for biz. was 15 GBP for the flight i think? i paid for it so i could entertain myself somehow.
PXL_20240101_093030744.jpg

thankfully i had no aisle seatmate. this actually ended up being pretty not terrible since i could lay down. super legit, would be totally worth paying for this. air new zealand actually has something like this now where you can buy the row and make an "air couch" which has additional equipment on the seat to make more of a bed.
PXL_20240101_134358822.jpg

another breakfast, a full english again. was not too enjoyable, the eggs were particularly sad. :(
PXL_20240101_111743457.jpg

PXL_20240101_112720868.jpg

PXL_20240101_113830277.jpg

PXL_20240101_114345777.jpg

in cairo i needed a guy to manually bring me through the transfer desk and to check in to royal jordanian for my completely new itinerary, which typically goes through an airside desk. but here i went landside. took a while too. may have well just checked my initial bag and arrived in cairo to get it? but that would have also cost money for an egyptian visa. checked my bag in through to KUL. there are a couple private lounges the airports use here, the actual airline ones all appear closed. both here could be access with priority pass as well. a snap and some snackies from each.
PXL_20240101_163117187.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
PXL_20240101_162333826.jpg

PXL_20240101_171847159.jpg

PXL_20240101_164804212.jpg

CAI-AMM. short hop (90 min?) yet so much better seats... why can't BA do this? these are like AA domestic first class. no entertainment system though.
PXL_20240101_185749057.jpg

escaped from breakfast. you couldn't mix and match but had to pick from an 'oriental' menu or a western one.

hummus w/sujok mezza (sausage) - i didn't get too excited about this one.
chicken shawerma - needed that tahini sauce, as it was a bit dry - but pretty tasty chicken filling. green pepper was a hot boi.
mann & salwa cheesecake - bit too light, didn't really hit fer me
PXL_20240101_182324926.jpg

in amman i had access to the royal jordanian lounge, the prior time (flying jordan to egypt in the other thread) was due to priority pass, but this time was via flying business on RJ. more pics there. i had some pizza. also ice cream. also a coffee and some cookies.
PXL_20240101_192710383.jpg

AMM-BKK, long leg. 787 but and old 2-2-2 seat configuration.
PXL_20240101_214645183.jpg

these turn into lie flats, but you need to step over your neighbor if they are sleeping. or make your way by awkwardly somehow if not. these are not well liked. business class was entirely full.
PXL_20240101_214926066.jpg

note the pretty small footwell here too, especially my side. made it work but certainly wasn't as comfortable as the BA flight. my seatmate was a dude taller than me. he was up a lot though as he was with a baby. his wife and another young child were in the middle seats of the 2-2-2. they spoke arabic, not sure if they were jordanian, but lived in australia and were on the way there. dude was nice, seemed pretty normal. his wife was absolutely beautiful. dunno how recently she popped out that baby too either, but she looked amazing. in any case i thankfully didn't have to walk over him much as he was actually up tending to baby stuff a fair bit at the back part of the cabin.
PXL_20240101_215205886.jpg

i super like this system. also good is a flight attendant asking if you want to be woken up for a meal service. lame is united which doesn't ask/won't wake you/etc.
PXL_20240101_221221132.jpg

RJ used to - and i think still does - have buffets on board in business class. afaik no one else does this at all or hasn't since forever ago, like ads you see in the 70s. although i don't know when they actually do it or not. i thought i might have it on this flight (i think it's on the one from amman to chicago?) but i again had oriental/western menu choices.

brie cheese with caramelized walnuts
beef sliders (they were better than i expected)
mille-feuille puff pastry
PXL_20240101_230846427.jpg

PXL_20240102_041037277.jpg

morning omelette. tolerable. chicken was good.
PXL_20240102_041411014.jpg

bed mode. i think here the wifey was swapped in for a nap. i think i'm watching asteroid city? but watching it like an old man passing out, which i was.
PXL_20240102_044636223.jpg

landed in thailand and ate some stuff in the turkish airlines lounge (priority pass).
PXL_20240102_061922743.jpg

PXL_20240102_064316778.jpg

PXL_20240102_071035953.jpg

also went to the oman air (priority pass) lounge too to rest. they now have the section i like with a sign in front saying it's for actual oman air passengers only, although nobody checks anything right there so i just kinda circled my way into it. i think i had access to all oneworld airlines via my ticket, probably cathay pacific would be best? most are star in BKK, and most can be access with priority pass. the actual ticket i had said i had access to the miracle lounge, which is a private not all that interesting one (also with pp access.)

last flight, BKK-KUL; 2+ hours malaysian airlines.
PXL_20240102_094948490.jpg

still way shorter, yet much better seats than BA business/club europe. which should be embarrassing for them i think.
PXL_20240102_095126880.jpg

no IFE here either, but free wifi. i watched most of blue beetle on my phone. some kind of chicken dish, salad, and kind of a sad little taste gelatin dessert.
PXL_20240102_105818621.jpg

KUL was humid.

i got there fairly late. it took a long time to go through immigration, although after going through once with their new digital system (prior only for malaysians) apparently if i go again it should be quick.

no pics, just got an airbnb there. had one near-ish the airport and near a college. thought in the morning i'd use the gym and hang out somewhere to ogle malaysian college girls then catch my 1:30pm flight. but i hit a real bed, didn't set an alarm, and slept past 12. got super lucky as my flight got delayed for operational reasons to 3.

local small air asia hop, no pics and it finally left like 4. might be interesting to go back to KUL some time.

sepang raceway is actually right by the airport. i think they used to have programs where you could arrive and get a car and drive but it looks like no longer. mighty car mods just did an endurance race there though!

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i suspect you'll enjoy ANA a lot more, unless you just don't like japanese food. that should be pretty fun. how are you getting to pattaya? why/how long are you going there?

i just opportunistically booked a kenyan airways ticket from seoul to cape town. rough plan is:
- get to seoul somehow in september
- work from seoul 2+ weeks
- fly to cape town, then hop to joburg
- take 2 week vacation and go to my cheetah place to try and pet fast spotted cats, avoid snakes, and hopefully avoid cutting up whole horses again. hopefully encounter more college girls
- take flights back to seoul - but ignore the last leg and just stay at BKK and fly back to my island instead of south korea.

ICN-BKK (thai), BKK-NBO-CPT (kenya airways)
CPT-VFA-NBO-BKK (kenya airways), BKK-ICN (thai)
$791.95, all business class

right now in google the same flights *in economy* are $820, so i am thinking this might get canceled, but i just bought it an hour ago

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i was there for a few days a while ago. i found a brz buddy and we went to a track day there, everyone was complaining about the price being raised from like $35 to $42 iirc. i was like lol this is crazy cheap. they also had us run with windows up all the way, i forgot their reasoning why but like everybody else makes you run with them down all the way. got cool video with table mountain in the background.

i would stay there like a day though and just go to my cheetah place again. where i was surprised none of you commented on me cutting up a whole horse lol.

i'm 50/50 about kenyan airlines actually honoring this ticket vs. canceling it. we'll see in a few days i guess though.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
i suspect you'll enjoy ANA a lot more, unless you just don't like japanese food. that should be pretty fun. how are you getting to pattaya? why/how long are you going there?

ANA looks nice, and the business class looks like you can actually close off the area you're in for privacy. I enjoy Japanese food, so that won't hold me back.

I have a driver picking me up at BKK to drive me to Pattaya. I arrive Sunday Jan 21 at midnight (Saturday night), and then fly back out of Bangkok on Friday morning....so I'll be there 5 nights. I'm going for work; we have a plant there and the finance/accounting team in the plant report to someone that reports to me....so I'm going to go have them give me a financial run down of the operation in person and then discuss opportunities to save money. The plant is ~30 minutes from Pattaya, but there are no decent hotels by the plant so I'm staying at the Intercontinental Pattaya Resort on the beach and then have a driver taking me back and forth everyday.

I'm hoping to explore Pattaya a bit, but will unfortunately be working most of the time. I'll definitely find time to explore the city though. I have Sunday during the day so will spend most of that exploring, and then will go out for an hour or two each night.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i suppose you are out of bangkok already from where the airport is located, so that drive is not any worse/arguably better than a flight there.

pattaya is one of the sex tourist places for sure. if you go to the walking street there it will be quite the spectacle.

i've done a rotax kart on their championship karting circuit there but no longer have that guy's hookup and it's not an arrive and drive place unfortunately. i dunno much about pattaya though as i was just running through while on a mission to kart every track in the country.

if you have free time/can make it happen/haven't been to bangkok before, it would be worth checking out the grand palace and temple of the reclining buddha.

bkk international is just one big terminal, so on your exit with biz class you'll have access to all star alliance lounges. if you have a priority pass you'll also have access to a few more. ANA may possibly be the only lounge i haven't been in at BKK? in any case thai is big and has lots of food, although turkish is often my favorite place to eat.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
i suppose you are out of bangkok already from where the airport is located, so that drive is not any worse/arguably better than a flight there.

pattaya is one of the sex tourist places for sure. if you go to the walking street there it will be quite the spectacle.

i've done a rotax kart on their championship karting circuit there but no longer have that guy's hookup and it's not an arrive and drive place unfortunately. i dunno much about pattaya though as i was just running through while on a mission to kart every track in the country.

if you have free time/can make it happen/haven't been to bangkok before, it would be worth checking out the grand palace and temple of the reclining buddha.

bkk international is just one big terminal, so on your exit with biz class you'll have access to all star alliance lounges. if you have a priority pass you'll also have access to a few more. ANA may possibly be the only lounge i haven't been in at BKK? in any case thai is big and has lots of food, although turkish is often my favorite place to eat.

I've heard Pattaya is considered the "sin city" of Thailand so I can't imagine the spectacle. I'm actually really excited for the people watching. Hoping I can find a bar close enough to the action to sit and people watch....without being harassed by prostitutes all night.

I haven't been to Bangkok so I might actually go try to spend Thursday night there, but will depend on how it goes at work that day.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
like even streets near it you'll walk down and women as well as ladyboys will be all "massssaaage" - which by the way you should get somewhere since it's going to be like $15 instead of $150.

there will be some normal bars. but there are lots of girl bars, where beer girls might just get you to buy beer, and other ones are available to be taken home and may or may not try and get you to take them. i've never gone into the clubs or whatever behind closed doors. some of the girls and ladyboys are pretty funny. it really is a total spectacle though.

the palace and temple i mentioned you'd need to be there in the day to check out. oh and iirc i think both require pants. if you have an amex plat and book a FHR hotel via amex travel, you'll get $200 room credit and $100 site credit. so your amex bill should still show the full amount with another line item for the rebate, so you can charge in a $300 hotel even though it would net cost you $100. although the $100 credit i don't think you could fanaggle into your pocket.

tasty thai food i recommend. although they could be prepared quite differently from one thai place to the next.

papaya salad / mango salad - pretty standard, i prefer the latter
laab gai - spicy lemon chicken thing
massaman curry (chicken or beef) - probably the highest calorie one but tasty
tom yum soup - watch out for chonks you can't eat (eg. ginger or basil) but healthy/well known thai soup
pad kra pao - holy basil chicken, really the national dish of thailand, pad thai is more of a soft power diplomacy thing

as one person you might be able to sneak into this guy's restaurant, he won top chef thailand 2023. his restaurant is kind of a hidden away thing i was already trying to get into some time, but i rarely go to bangkok outside the airport

you can probably find a michelin star place to go eat on the cheap compared to most places too.

Reactions: Chet Donnelly
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• sickmint79
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list