📸 Photography sickmint79 takes you to a government megaproject hotel

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Very interesting what they are doing in that new side of Cairo to develop it.

The neighborhood where Chicago Bernie is at is definitely not Roma/condesa safe but not terrible either, I would say it’s medium danger for a tall guero haha
so it's this part in the middle she was more concerned about, i also used to go further north/bernie's old spot was a bit further north too.
Screen Shot 2024-03-09 at 11.40.59 PM.png

I ended up reading some links about all of that building out there.

Is it dead because it's the weekend, just thinking about government employees commuting.
the intent is for them to commute there from the huge amount of empty residential buildings that are also here. there were some non-construction people at some of the gov buildings here today, i certainly couldn't tell you why, but i don't think anyone is commuting out here for their normal jobs yet. i posted a pic of the central bank here, but i'm 99% sure i read they aren't working out of there right now.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
so it's this part in the middle she was more concerned about, i also used to go further north/bernie's old spot was a bit further north too.
View attachment 199740

the intent is for them to commute there from the huge amount of empty residential buildings that are also here. there were some non-construction people at some of the gov buildings here today, i certainly couldn't tell you why, but i don't think anyone is commuting out here for their normal jobs yet. i posted a pic of the central bank here, but i'm 99% sure i read they aren't working out of there right now.
Yeah that area near that main road can be sketchy, that place called La Polar was one of my favorite places to eat birria but they shut the place down because a customer got beat to death by the waiters lol

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Interesting. Is the grand museum open yet?
not any more open than when i visited i think, i got the 'new' tour kinda experience then where the grand staircase was open - previously you had to pay a grand or something to get a ticket just to do that. i think i heard one rumor saying open once some highway construction was done, then another that definitely not before the war in gaza is over. they are going to Big Deal it and a ton of people will be here for the opening. but right now tourism is down because people are uncertain of coming here, jordan tourism was down even more. and a fair amount of people come out here and try to do multiple places on a trip, eg. israel/jordan/egypt. i think december when i came should be a high season for both, and jordan was like... 10%? egypt i dunno, bit more for sure but nothing like normal.

Yeah that area near that main road can be sketchy, that place called La Polar was one of my favorite places to eat birria but they shut the place down because a customer got beat to death by the waiters lol
when was that? i ate it there too lol

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
not any more open than when i visited i think, i got the 'new' tour kinda experience then where the grand staircase was open - previously you had to pay a grand or something to get a ticket just to do that. i think i heard one rumor saying open once some highway construction was done, then another that definitely not before the war in gaza is over. they are going to Big Deal it and a ton of people will be here for the opening. but right now tourism is down because people are uncertain of coming here, jordan tourism was down even more. and a fair amount of people come out here and try to do multiple places on a trip, eg. israel/jordan/egypt. i think december when i came should be a high season for both, and jordan was like... 10%? egypt i dunno, bit more for sure but nothing like normal.

when was that? i ate it there too lol
Oh really? Haha nice yeah the birria was killer… pun intended 😂 it happened probably about a year ago

• Wow
Reactions: sickmint79

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Based on your travel do you think Egypt is a really good experience for tourists?
it's a unique place, literally all the history you ever typically talk about and know... it goes that amount of time and more even further back. plus it's fairly well documented given the age. so it is super cool to explore the sites, take the nile cruise, etc. i do like the way i did it from the south up, i feel like that is a more fun progression to take it. one of the things i might advise is waiting until the grand egyptian museum is open, although it's taking a very long time.

Thread Info