Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
This is going to be baked into native XF 2.3 but the odds of me updating to that (when it releases) are going to be very slim. Anyway, webp is an increasingly common format for images on sites, as its served by cloudflare etc. If you want the tech jargon...

WebP is a modern image format that provides superior lossless and lossy compression for images on the web. Using WebP, webmasters and web developers can create smaller, richer images that make the web faster.

WebP lossless images are 26% smaller in size compared to PNGs. WebP lossy images are 25-34% smaller than comparable JPEG images at equivalent SSIM quality index.

Lossless WebP supports transparency (also known as alpha channel) at a cost of just 22% additional bytes. For cases when lossy RGB compression is acceptable, lossy WebP also supports transparency, typically providing 3× smaller file sizes compared to PNG.

Lossy, lossless and transparency are all supported in animated WebP images, which can provide reduced sizes compared to GIF and APNG.

Why is this a big deal? More often than not these days, when you save an image from a site or from Google, it will be in webp format vs jpg or png. Thats all fine and well but XF doesn't allow you to upload it as an image. Well, now you can on TCG. Fuck every other forum, TCG is the best.

webp-example.webp

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
This is going to be baked into native XF 2.3 but the odds of me updating to that (when it releases) are going to be very slim. Anyway, webp is an increasingly common format for images on sites, as its served by cloudflare etc. If you want the tech jargon...

Why is this a big deal? More often than not these days, when you save an image from a site or from Google, it will be in webp format vs jpg or png. Thats all fine and well but XF doesn't allow you to upload it as an image. Well, now you can on TCG. Fuck every other forum, TCG is the best.

View attachment 200834
Yay! No more having to screen capture them, then upload them into the articles stolen from other sites.

Thread Info