Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Store tvs wow people b/c of what the article above said, you're standing right in front of them (not to mention they are over-saturated to really make it seem surreal) . Its an easy way to sell UHD, which for years I said was useless (my opinion has obv changed).

Now that more movies are being released, streaming is moving into UHD and games are in 4k, its a far more useful upgrade.

The resolution bump is noticeable but not a reason to upgrade if you already have a good tv. And like I said, if you dont get one with HDR, you're wasting your money.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Visual Acuity Viewing Distance: Test It for Yourself – Carlton Bale .com

Determining your Visual Acuity Viewing Distance: The point at which you stop seeing a black and white checkerboard and see instead a gray box is the visual acuity viewing distance for your LCD monitor and your eyeball.

So, what is your visual acuity viewing distance? I’m interested to see the results others get. Please include the following in your comment:

Your LCD monitor native resolution
Your screen size (diagonal)
Your Visual Acuity Viewing Distance

Pixel-by-Pixel Black & White Checkerboard Background

this is making my eyes and brain hurt.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm behind on all the site drama apparently, cause I have no idea what the references are :rofl: I vaguely remember the honda I think.

1. samsung has a tv that's called the frame- you've probably heard of/seen it.

$1800 for a 55" tv that mimic's what a framed piece of art would look like on the wall- it has an ambient light sensor to constantly adjust to the room to help disguise it as art and not as a television. i posted that i liked it in the bored thread and the bored thread crew & [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] grabbed their torches and pitchforks and stomped me out.

2. i've liked the new ridgeline because of it's practicality, reliability and whatever else.

that upsets a lot of the "truck people" on here. so i run with it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
too bad the movie sucks

3VwfviR.gif

CntrlFreak

Regular
May 2, 2015
Misunderstandings on what? Your post is a bit confusing.

Stop yelling at me bro! LOL. I was not referring to anyone in this thread, I deal with on a daily basis people that do not know shit about the tech behind it. The link provided about size, is only one perspective and did not sight their sources for calculating guidelines, was it ITU? AVIXA? And their other article about HDR they did, as soon as I saw they used HD Fury linker for their tests.... they are dead to me.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Stop yelling at me bro! LOL. I was not referring to anyone in this thread, I deal with on a daily basis people that do not know shit about the tech behind it. The link provided about size, is only one perspective and did not sight their sources for calculating guidelines, was it ITU? AVIXA? And their other article about HDR they did, as soon as I saw they used HD Fury linker for their tests.... they are dead to me.

can you explain more of that stuff?

any links showing what you're saying?

im just curious more than anything.

CntrlFreak

Regular
May 2, 2015

Your just getting to the start of it lol. Based on Snellen’s calculations for an arc minute these start to be more accurate, but, it is also referring to detection of pixel structure and based on pixel density at what distance do you need to be before you can detect it with 20/20 for 1080 at 65” diagonal it’s 102” and at UHD its 52” rounded and at 8K its 26”

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
For a casual viewer, I don't think the upgrade is worth it unless you're already in the market for a TV; replacing an older one, buying one for the basement, etc. Partly because you have to actively go out and find UHD content, and it's not out there in mass quantities or equal quality yet. I'm currently dealing with an HDR encoding issue for TCL/Sharp/Vizio Roku TVs where Amazon's HDR streaming is yellow. Amazon rolled back HDR on our sets after the community hounded them about the error.

But, when everything is done right, it's a holy crap viewing experience; even the wife is in amazement, and she couldn't tell the difference between SD and HD. Watching a nature documentary, for example, you can see every little scale of an amazonian lizard flex in vibrant detail.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info