property taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
im curious,

all through the booming real estate years my taxes went up exponentially due to the value of my home skyrocketing. now according to the market, homes in my area are down up to 35% im waiting for the letter from kane county telling my my taxes went down respectively, but I have not recieved it yet...lol

has anyones taxes been reevaluated or is there a process to get this to happen. It seems like simple math to me.

thoughts, ideas?

innrkid

I hunt, I eat
Oct 4, 2007
your taxes are based on assessed value and not market value. I think the county assessors office would be the place to start. You would go through a formal process of dispute.

I think that's what my neighbor did in McHenry.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
your taxes are based on assessed value and not market value. I think the county assessors office would be the place to start. You would go through a formal process of dispute.

I think that's what my neighbor did in McHenry.
+1. I have a friend going through the same thing in NJ.

According to him.....they don't make it easy....surprise, surprise.

skyhighsd

auto mofo
Mar 25, 2007
im curious,

all through the booming real estate years my taxes went up exponentially due to the value of my home skyrocketing. now according to the market, homes in my area are down up to 35% im waiting for the letter from kane county telling my my taxes went down respectively, but I have not recieved it yet...lol

has anyones taxes been reevaluated or is there a process to get this to happen. It seems like simple math to me.

thoughts, ideas?

BAD ECONOMY, BAD BAD BAD ECONOMY...:lmao:

GreenMamba

Banned
Nov 22, 2006
They had a big discussion on the CNN about his the other night.

Basically the towns depend on this money and anticipate getting more of it every year not LESS.

There argument is they can't run the local/county gov't without these funds.

CNN was asking why they couldn't make cuts and there response was most of it was tied into fire/police/courthouse aka things that can't be cut.

My response is...BULLSHIT! You mean to tell me town's like carol stream can't cut 25-30 cops outta the lineup?

When you have that many sitting on 64/gary radaring I think you can make a few cuts!

CNN also made IMO a great argument (especially for people up here) that if these town's would allow people to not pay property taxes for just a few months it could possibly stop many of these foreclosures. Considering most of us pay 300-800 a month in property taxes this makes pretty good sense to me.

Instead of BACKING OFF many of these towns are going after more in this economy by installing red light camera's everywhere and nickel and diming everywhere they can.

My taxes have gone up nearly 2 grand in 5 years here in St. Charles. Just another reason to pack my shit and get the fuck outta here.

GreenMamba

Banned
Nov 22, 2006
+1. I have a friend going through the same thing in NJ.

According to him.....they don't make it easy....surprise, surprise.

Considering the people on MY CITY COUNCIL this does not surprise me. When I was trying to get permits to open my doggy boot camp they put me through the ringer, took over 5 grand from me AND still denied me.

There all a buncha old fucks stuck in 1947. A few more years they'll all die off and maybe then we can see some good things happen.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
has anyones taxes been reevaluated or is there a process to get this to happen. It seems like simple math to me

I appealed my assesment last fall with cook county and asked the same question. There response was that your property is re-assesed every three years and the assesment will supposedly go down due to reduced property values next time.

I'll be keeping my eye's open for a used van and a significant amount of industrial grade fertilizer for when my next assesment is done in 3 years:mad:

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
assesed values are directly related to market value. Most counties re evaluate every 2-3 years. I actually knew the answer to my original question beforee i posted. Seeing the 1st quarter installment the same and my homes value down 100 grand just pissed me off a little.

the funny thing is that even when im evaluated the percentage on the assesed value is so low (7%) or something my bill will pribably only go down 2-300! i guarantee there are no tax breaks for that either. if i sold now i could lose six figures or more, if i hold i dont get a break.

i know if i become like the rest of america and dont pay my mortgage and bills and make a third of what i do, i may finally qualify for a break. Hell i should of bought a million dollar home on an interest only when shit was good, i probably would qualify for a 1% no fee refi right now! Fuck better yet, i should of charged up all my cards and then blamed the credit companies for extending me the credit!

I am so sick of this bullshit and getting punished for being a responsible citizen while scumbags that have no drive or initiative get all the handouts then ask for more! this is in part why i constantly mock the catch phrase "bad economy" it is an excuse more than a phrase

FUCK!

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
In my area, we have retained a legal firm to represent a group of us. We only pay if we win. The amount owed to foot the attorney bill will be 25% of what they end up saving us.

Now, we all know housing prices have been going down for a while. Here is an idea of what I've forked over to Cook county.

2-years ago I paid $8K and change.
1-year ago I paid $11K and change.
This year is over $13K.

The assholes at Elgin township razzed my assessment about 3.3% from 07 from 08.
I am @ $327,000 and its worth 275k to 300K now. I went over their and they won't do jack shit because all my neighbors over assessed to. Told me to wait till next years and then possibility fight it when 09 comes out

D

Drlee50

i agree- BS!!!!I am looking to move very soon. good time to buy but i dont want to be paying 10K+ in taxes. screw that! and it seems the highest taxes are in the areas with the worst schools!! Schaumburg has cheaper taxes b/c of woodfield mall and good schools- but its land locked and you get stuck with an old house with poor layout. hoffman/ bartlett = new homes but shit schools and 10K+ taxes! what to do what to do.....

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
wont someone think of the children?

am i the only one that actually reads their property tax bill? 99.995% of it goes to local schools.

ya get reassessed once every 3 years. you got reassessed with a high market value. boo fuckin hoo. you paid cheap tax when your land was perceived to be super valuable so its a wash. Your next reassessment will reflect the lower values of today, but you'll be billed for it after the market recovers. No need for a sandy vagina. Plenty of more important things to be worried about, ESPECIALLY if it just goes into escrow and is rolled into your monthly mortgage payment.

Arent you a guy who rolls vehicles over all the time without regard for how much depreciation you eat each time? I apologize if I'm confusing you with another CSVT member.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
Arent you a guy who rolls vehicles over all the time without regard for how much depreciation you eat each time? I apologize if I'm confusing you with another CSVT member.

no i am the guy that makes alot of money on each car i buy and sell, i have never lost money selling a car, as a matter of fact i have profited quite nicely but im not really sure what that has to do with my post.

I usually do not respond to your liberal, drabble, whining, useless posts. but you are so far off the mark here you should just take your ass back to your van by the river and get another helping of government cheese and stay the fuck out of my business unless you know what the fuck you are talking about.

D

Drlee50

wont someone think of the children?

am i the only one that actually reads their property tax bill? 99.995% of it goes to local schools.

ya get reassessed once every 3 years. you got reassessed with a high market value. boo fuckin hoo. you paid cheap tax when your land was perceived to be super valuable so its a wash. Your next reassessment will reflect the lower values of today, but you'll be billed for it after the market recovers. No need for a sandy vagina. Plenty of more important things to be worried about, ESPECIALLY if it just goes into escrow and is rolled into your monthly mortgage payment.

tell that to the U46 school district. very poor schooling for the kids. not due to a lack of money. and escrow or not, its still a $1000 a month! If 99.9 of it went to schools, then let me keep the $ and put my kid in private school. What about those with no kids?

and just because the morons running the municipalities dont know how to follow a budget and have sunk its citizens into a stupid high deficit, its now our fault for their inability to make budget cuts? they should have been making these cuts along time ago when they were over budget in the 1st place. And it is not the only time in history that property values have gone down. perhaps cities should have a provision for this situation in the 1st place. yet again, the tax payers are to bail out their local dipshit legislation. :argue:

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
selling the cobra would be your first time though

sorry for getting offtopic but I just had to

its fucking hilarious how everyone thinks they need to take their bullshit petty pussy shots. this is a valid thread with valid points.

yea izzy, ill lose on the fucking cobra, but i may save my fucking family.

people please feel free to stay the fuck out of my personal business.

now izzy, do you feel more like a man?

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
its fucking hilarious how everyone thinks they need to take their bullshit petty pussy shots. this is a valid thread with valid points.

yea izzy, ill lose on the fucking cobra, but i may save my fucking family.

people please feel free to stay the fuck out of my personal business.

now izzy, do you feel more like a man?
petty pussy shots?? Im trying to encourage you not to sell a badass ride you put your money and time into, you are right not my business and Im sure you have legitimate reasons why you wanna sell, Im just saying what your car buddies would say...

and no I dont feel any better or worse really since its not my problem.
Take a chill pill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info