7.3 Godzilla grows up, godzilla mega thread, godzilla performance development thread TRUCK ENGINE GOES BRRRRRRRRR

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I found the article. Not sure how accurate the info is as it was from back in 2018.

More info and engine cutaway pictures in the article.

SVTP said:
With the Bore Spacing being over 4.5-Inches I believe it would be safe to call this engine something other than a Small Block (perhaps M/S Block?). GM’s LS/LT engines feature a 4.4-Inch Bore Spacing, and the Mopar HEMI Series rings in at 4.46-Inches. So Godzilla appears to be a shade larger than both of those, not to mention the Modular Series’ puny 3.937-Inch Bore Spacing. Big Blocks typically come in around 4.8 inches, so it definitely looks like we’re not getting a new generation of BBF v8

Reactions: RICH17 and Bru

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yeah i saw it somewhere yesterday while i was looking for 1/4 mile times out of it.

and then this morning i just saw this...

but now im remembering seeing 0-60 times yesterday (and being underwhelmed by them) in some of the sites i was looking at so who knows.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
yeah i saw it somewhere yesterday while i was looking for 1/4 mile times out of it.

and then this morning i just saw this...

but now im remembering seeing 0-60 times yesterday (and being underwhelmed by them) in some of the sites i was looking at so who knows.

TFLTruck bought one , had it on the dyno with 5 Star, and has done a mileage loop. It has been extremely meh. Even the cat back system they put on it was meh

Reactions: GTPpower

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
TFLTruck bought one , had it on the dyno with 5 Star, and has done a mileage loop. It has been extremely meh. Even the cat back system they put on it was meh

i was really hoping to be WOW'd over the 6.2 and all it's done is make me be like heh, looks liek the 6.2 isn't all that bad.

granted that mileage loop i still find issue with because majority of people around here will NEVER see their personal vehicles at elevation like that. such a grain of salt situation... fucking 9000 feet.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
We ran the Ford F-250 and the Chevy Silverado 2500 on different days, but with an identical trailer set to slightly different loaded weights. The new F-250 returned a towing MPG result of 5.6 MPG with a moderate side wind (wind speed: about 17 mph). The unloaded result was 15.1 MPG.

When we ran the Silverado HD on the same loop at the same 70 MPH speed, we got 6.9 MPG and 16.0 MPG towing and unladed (respectively). The wind speed during the Silverado run was less (wind speed: under 10 mph).

that wind difference is entirely negligible imo.... 7 mph difference and a side wind, at freeway speeds? meh.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I didn't get to listen to the video at Team Z with the fox swap. But I watched it to see Brian Wolfe in the video. Brian is a LONG time drag racer and has been with Ford for a while now. He has helped bring a lot of the FRPP stuff to market. My guess is that Ford Performance engineers have been a part of this engine development for a while. I would not be surprised if cams, modified heads, intakes, and other items come to market shortly after this motor is released as a crate motor.

The concerns I see is that it is a pretty square motor as far as bore and stroke are concerned. Originally, info way back in mid 2018 was an engineer said he thought the person who was heading up the engine program would probably be disappointed if the 7.3 didn't make 575 ft/lbs of torque. They wanted it to make more power than the diesel 6.0L. Which made 570 ft/lbs. So either the motor ended up making a lot less than originally planned or there is a lot left in the motor. WIth GTPpower saying tunes picked up a lot of torque that shows maybe they held back some for the release. Have some on reserve is it's needed later in production.

The heads were rumored to have a massive 2.20" intake valve. So thoughts were 330-350 cfm intake flow. That is a lot of air flow. Many aftermarket SBF heads don't flow that well. The issue is the single intake valve of that size and lots of RPM. So it will be interesting to see what cams & springs, and intake manifold will do with this motor. Where will the max rpm for a reasonable street hp motor?

I am looking forward to what the aftermarket does with this motor. They will push it much farther than Ford Performance will. So that will be interesting to see what kind of power this motor will eventually make. With over head cams, big heads & valves, and 445 cubes it could be interesting is they make 2-2.5 hp per cubic inch. Let's just hope it doesn't end up being just a great low rpm fleet truck & rv motor.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Let's just hope it doesn't end up being just a great low rpm fleet truck & rv motor.

That's the point I think plenty of people are missing. We have no idea what an aftermarket heads/cam package is going to do to this thing. Ford designed the completed package around a truck moving weight and demanding horsepower. The biggest displeasure I've had in driving any 6.2 250+ is it needs all the RPM to get up on the curve. In my eyes, they necessitate getting the 4.xx final drive if you're doing any kind of real towing/hauling.

Beltramo pointed out that most vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of under 8500 pounds cruise around without carrying or towing much weight at all. That means they don't use much sustained horsepower. By contrast, vehicles with a GVWR over 8500 pounds tend to tow and haul a lot, which means they're using a lot of their horsepower a lot of the time.

In vehicles with 14,000-plus-pound GVWRs—like the Ford Super Duty—Beltramo told us its critical for an engine to operate at peak power with an optimal air-fuel ratio (stoichiometric combustion). From there, Ford worked backwards.

"We built a map of where an engine, can run stoichiometric air-fuel without a bunch of spark retard," Beltramo said. "That led us to a torque-per-liter value and a power-per-liter value, [which] knowing that, boxed us to 7.3 liters."

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That's the point I think plenty of people are missing. We have no idea what an aftermarket heads/cam package is going to do to this thing. Ford designed the completed package around a truck moving weight and demanding horsepower. The biggest displeasure I've had in driving any 6.2 250+ is it needs all the RPM to get up on the curve. In my eyes, they necessitate getting the 4.xx final drive if you're doing any kind of real towing/hauling.

The 6.2L is like 430 ft/lbs, correct? So the extra torque should help. But hopefully, the torque curve of the 7.3L is fatter all the way through. We all know Peak numbers aren't everything. So hopefully the 7.3L drives better than the 6.2L due to the added torque and curve. And maybe in 5 years the stock rating will be closer to that 575 ft/lbs hinted at back in 2018?

I can't see Ford Performance or the aftermarket sitting on the sidelines with this motor. You know they are going to try and make this a performance engine. A SOHC with 445 cubes has everyone salivating to get their hands on one for development. Especially with engine swaps being easy due to available parts by Ford & the aftermarket. K-member, motor mounts, headers, and so on.

Reactions: Yaj Yak
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info