v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
1614603017569.png

The daily driver and newest vehicle I own by a matter of eight years is getting up there in mileage. ? I'm really dreading the idea of going through the car buying process, and I really want to see this thing hit 200k. Let's hope she makes it. I started hearing a weird new noise yesterday, so there's that.

Reactions: Jon01 and IDAFC21

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
View attachment 82289
The daily driver and newest vehicle I own by a matter of eight years is getting up there in mileage. ? I'm really dreading the idea of going through the car buying process, and I really want to see this thing hit 200k. Let's hope she makes it. I started hearing a weird new noise yesterday, so there's that.
I hear ya. Hoping my truck keeps going. Around 183k miles, mechanically strong, body rusting and rotting away. Saw the rocker panels peeling away when I washed it saturday. Would like to see it go 250k but there won’t be much body left unless I can find someone to do some repairs.

1E1FAC8D-DECF-42C3-B891-6466334240E1.jpeg
AFC00682-E2B7-45EA-A997-6FF8D67CA784.jpeg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I hear ya. Hoping my truck keeps going. Around 183k miles, mechanically strong, body rusting and rotting away. Saw the rocker panels peeling away when I washed it saturday. Would like to see it go 250k but there won’t be much body left unless I can find someone to do some repairs.

View attachment 82291View attachment 82292
You can see the rear wheel arches are missing (rotted). Inner and outer sheet metal completely gone. ?

D641A9A4-6C74-4966-9988-349B40CA27C1.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: v6buicks

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I was thinking about that except there’s nothing left to screw them to. Plus need some sheet metal put in place where the rockers are gone.

The cost to repair exceeds the value of the vehicle.

I just installed a set on a truck that was about that rusty, if not a bit worse. As long as the sides have room to sink a few self tappers in you’re golden. If they start to warp pull them and 3M tape them along the top.

Rockers were shot on that truck as well, as long as the floors and cab mounts are solid you have literal years left before it becomes a concern.

Reactions: Jon01

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
These are the flares I put on. I liked that they didn’t stick out more than 1/4” or so and didn’t make the truck look stupid with factory offset / OE sized tires.

You can paint them as well, I’ve seen a few painted and they look OE.

Textured Black Factory OE Style Wheel Fender Flares For Chevy Silverado 1500 2500HD 3500HD 2007-2013 78.0" / 97.6" Long Bed Length Wheel Cover Protector Vent Trim 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZBB5DD/?tag=tcg21-20

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
These are the flares I put on. I liked that they didn’t stick out more than 1/4” or so and didn’t make the truck look stupid with factory offset / OE sized tires.

You can paint them as well, I’ve seen a few painted and they look OE.

Textured Black Factory OE Style Wheel Fender Flares For Chevy Silverado 1500 2500HD 3500HD 2007-2013 78.0" / 97.6" Long Bed Length Wheel Cover Protector Vent Trim 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZBB5DD/?tag=tcg21-20
Oh I like these! And I have an 07 with the 78" (6 1/2") bed.

Means I can go wider on the tires next time too without worrying about slinging shit all over the place. Currently have factory 18"s with 265/65-R18 wrapped on them. Would like to take them to 275/60 if the wheel width allows it.

I'll check the floors and cab mounts. Last time I looked they were still pretty good. Might be time to replace some worn/aged bushings but that's about it. She's help up quite well.

Two questions. One, where did you the painted one shot at? I'm going to grab a photo of the black ones and see if I can't photoshop them to match my truck, then see how they'd look, or if I should leave them black.

Second, more of a mechanical, but I suspect this is right up your alley. Rear diff cover bolts. The bolts on the bottom half are rusted into a molten mess, the top look new. The fill plug comes out no problem. Suggestions on getting those bottom bolts out? As soon as you through a 6pt or 12pt socket on them it just twists the heads into even more of mess. Currently has about 40,000 miles since last change with minimal towing, like hardly any. So have some time before it becomes a big concern.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Oh I like these! And I have an 07 with the 78" (6 1/2") bed.

Means I can go wider on the tires next time too without worrying about slinging shit all over the place. Currently have factory 18"s with 265/65-R18 wrapped on them. Would like to take them to 275/60 if the wheel width allows it.

I'll check the floors and cab mounts. Last time I looked they were still pretty good. Might be time to replace some worn/aged bushings but that's about it. She's help up quite well.

Two questions. One, where did you the painted one shot at? I'm going to grab a photo of the black ones and see if I can't photoshop them to match my truck, then see how they'd look, or if I should leave them black.

Second, more of a mechanical, but I suspect this is right up your alley. Rear diff cover bolts. The bolts on the bottom half are rusted into a molten mess, the top look new. The fill plug comes out no problem. Suggestions on getting those bottom bolts out? As soon as you through a 6pt or 12pt socket on them it just twists the heads into even more of mess. Currently has about 40,000 miles since last change with minimal towing, like hardly any. So have some time before it becomes a big concern.

I just found that pic on the internet of the painted ones, I never had them done personally. I’m going to be having rockers put in my Yukon and OE flares PTM’d to hide some quarter panel rust once my 7.3 comes out of storage, haven’t decided on where yet but I can let you know who I go with. GMT-800 rockers are actually visible so I care VS the 900’s where the door hides them lol.

I would go about that one of two ways. Weld nuts to what is left of the lower bolts and remove, or just suck out fluid through the fill hole with one of those pneumatic sucker things.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Those trucks typically hold up great minus AFM/DOD concerns with the 5.3’s. I just avoid the 5.3 trucks and never have any concerns. From what I’ve seen and experienced, minus superficial rust they typically hold up for a long time. Your mounts should be totally fine. Hell I’ve never even had to do brake/ fuel lines on one yet because they went with coated lines so they don’t chafe and rot out in the clips.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I just found that pic on the internet of the painted ones, I never had them done personally. I’m going to be having rockers put in my Yukon and OE flares PTM’d to hide some quarter panel rust once my 7.3 comes out of storage, haven’t decided on where yet but I can let you know who I go with. GMT-800 rockers are actually visible so I care VS the 900’s where the door hides them lol.

I would go about that one of two ways. Weld nuts to what is left of the lower bolts and remove, or just suck out fluid through the fill hole with one of those pneumatic sucker things.
I do have one of those. Both a hand pump and a pneumatic Venturi one that holds about 1/2 gal.

And yeah, keep me posted on the rockers. I’d really like to keep this truck another 5-10 years. The interior is 95% as well. Very clean. If I could get the sheet metal issues taken care of so I know it’ll last I’d like to get the front seats redone. Just basic cushions like factory, same with the covers. 14 years of jeans have worn the leather smooth, lol. But no tears, at all.

JK is selling his rig, and man, if I had the $$$, but this 07 has treated me so well and see no reason to separate myself from it.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I do have one of those. Both a hand pump and a pneumatic Venturi one that holds about 1/2 gal.

And yeah, keep me posted on the rockers. I’d really like to keep this truck another 5-10 years. The interior is 95% as well. Very clean. If I could get the sheet metal issues taken care of so I know it’ll last I’d like to get the front seats redone. Just basic cushions like factory, same with the covers. 14 years of jeans have worn the leather smooth, lol. But no tears, at all.

JK is selling his rig, and man, if I had the $$$, but this 07 has treated me so well and see no reason to separate myself from it.

I‘ve never had luck with weld-in panels lasting, so I never do it. I just treat what’s there and hide it. I’m going to be having the rockers done with panel bond this time, no welding, and once it’s back I’m going to be drilling holes with drain style body plugs so that water can leave and I can get in there with cavity wax and fill them. Trying to keep this truck on the road as long as possible as well, should have 300k in it by the end of March lol.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Those trucks typically hold up great minus AFM/DOD concerns with the 5.3’s. I just avoid the 5.3 trucks and never have any concerns. From what I’ve seen and experienced, minus superficial rust they typically hold up for a long time. Your mounts should be totally fine. Hell I’ve never even had to do brake/ fuel lines on one yet because they went with coated lines so they don’t chafe and rot out in the clips.
No issues with the AFM/DoD, even for being first model year with it. Hell, I’d like if it were more effective. I know it burns a bit more oil when the AFM engages, which is fine since it’s so minor. But she runs great. Been using Mobil-1 5w-30 since I got it in 2009.

The person that tuned it tried to get the DoD to work more, but couldn’t get the transition to stay smooth. It’d hold 4cyl under light load more, like just cruising at 70mph on flat surface, but was real jerky switching between the 4/8 modes. Had to remove the settings, which I am sure he put everything back to stock, including the tune. Then he stopped answering his phone. Pissed me off.

Reactions: Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Hell my truck burns a quart per 1,000 miles with none of that stuff. But it puffs like an old small block with worn valve seals as it is. With the mileage I don’t care anymore. Gets farm and fleet 5-30 and a touch of Lucas every oil change. Fucking thing still makes 58psi oil pressure hot at like 1,500 RPM.

Still hand calculating 15.5-16 mpg as well. It just won’t fucking die.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Hell my truck burns a quart per 1,000 miles with none of that stuff. But it puffs like an old small block with worn valve seals as it is. With the mileage I don’t care anymore. Gets farm and fleet 5-30 and a touch of Lucas every oil change. Fucking thing still makes 58psi oil pressure hot at like 1,500 RPM.

Still hand calculating 15.5-16 mpg as well. It just won’t fucking die.
That's better than mine. I'm averaging low 14's and I actively work to make AFM engage lol

Thread Info