Real Name
Joel
  • Haha
Reactions: DEEZUZ

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
How does coolant work = $5k.

I’m sure it has upper and lwr intake gaskets done, water pump and misc items and they use to have a coolant pipe that was both metal and rubber that would rot out and need to be replaced. I would be surprised if that pipe is even made anymore and had to be fab’ed up. Even so 5k is a lot to spend on cooling system of a 5k cars

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I mean, Going to Rock Auto, and going through everything I could possibly conceive as a problem, including coolant, I'm coming up with around $250 in parts. That includes radiator, cap, both upper and lower hoses, t-stat, water pump (factoring in you're R&R the original pulley), WP gasket, the coolant (3 gallons to be on the safe side), LIM and UIM. I wasn't able to find the cross over either, but I don't recall it being that much. I'm also not factoring in the heater core or other things, just plain old cooling system.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I mean, Going to Rock Auto, and going through everything I could possibly conceive as a problem, including coolant, I'm coming up with around $250 in parts. That includes radiator, cap, both upper and lower hoses, t-stat, water pump (factoring in you're R&R the original pulley), WP gasket, the coolant (3 gallons to be on the safe side), LIM and UIM. I wasn't able to find the cross over either, but I don't recall it being that much. I'm also not factoring in the heater core or other things, just plain old cooling system.

you are getting DIY prices, not shop prices for top name parts, with markup, and labor, and shop fees, and disposal fees, and taxes, and tip.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I agree with you, to spend 5k on cooling on that car is ridiculous. Who ever did the repair took total advantage of them.

Thread Info