🔧 BUILD PJ's 2004 Cobra racecar build

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Started to reverse engineer the cam last night. No clue what cam is in this thing, only said "custom sbf cam" on the receipt. Gay.

Working with LJMS to determine if it will work with my setup. Otherwise will be ordering a new grind through him

Measured .750" intake and .780" exhaust lift [emoji51]

2880f6dcbeac8fcea01e9589b20293c0.jpg

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Stupid question, are the holes in the front of the heads for the coolant? I was thinking about doing a 2828 intake down the line, but always got confused on how to hook up the coolant to the motor without the thermostat mounting in the front of the intake.

I assume like a standalone thermostat housing and then -an fittings to the heads?

GIMPY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 21, 2009
Elgin
Nope. Top end came from Gino and it was all assembled by AES. Welds look like poo but at least they're all straight. I'm gonna be doing some surgery on the intake anyways, I may grind them down and lay some dimes lol

Only reason I ask is because it looks like they forgot to put hold downs for the fuel rails on it lol. Unless I'm not seeing something in the pictures. But yeah welds look like poo. Probably cuz they never prep the material before welding. Grind them down and go over them. Just don't focus heat on the bung. Let it wash on to it. I've done a good amount of efi conversions at a shop I worked for and those things love to blister on the inside

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Only reason I ask is because it looks like they forgot to put hold downs for the fuel rails on it lol. Unless I'm not seeing something in the pictures. But yeah welds look like poo. Probably cuz they never prep the material before welding. Grind them down and go over them. Just don't focus heat on the bung. Let it wash on to it. I've done a good amount of efi conversions at a shop I worked for and those things love to blister on the inside

Youre correct, there are no hold downs lol. It came with a hold down bracket that got sandwiched under the throttle body elbow. I sold that immediately, and will weld tabs on somewhere later.

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Stupid question, are the holes in the front of the heads for the coolant? I was thinking about doing a 2828 intake down the line, but always got confused on how to hook up the coolant to the motor without the thermostat mounting in the front of the intake.

I assume like a standalone thermostat housing and then -an fittings to the heads?

The coolant ports are on the front/back of the heads under the masking tape. That's specific to Neal type heads. I looked up the 2828 intake and it looks like it has a pipe thread hole on each corner of the intake. There are multiple options for that (connecting the back two with a crossover or not) and using an external thermostat housing split to the 2 fronts.

This motor isn't going to have a thermostat, Im not even sure if ill need to run coolant through the heads or not (block is full fill). I hope to learn some more about that at PRI next weekend. I have no experience with alcohol motors yet :ugh:

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
mmmm alcohol engine you say huh?

kick ass more specs on the engine then!

crank up the compression or what is it at and how about fuel system?

Motor info on post #17. Compression is 10.5:1 and I don't have the funds to raise it any higher lol. Gotta work with what I was given.

Fuel system Im not completely sure what is needed yet- but Im guessing something around a 15gpm belt pump and 550# injectors

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Well I survived another PRI and made it home with some new toys. I picked up a pair of used turbos- Precision 8285s. They're rated at 1300+ hp each

Picture with mandatory size reference can:
82f131012ddaeca475f8f3dc4cafbfb5.jpg

Unfortunately callies said the magnum crank in my motor is only rated to 1800-2000 hp. I'm not completely thrilled about risking it, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to blow $3500 on a billet crank.

Thread Info