Paint and body guys: what’s this?

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Is this sign of re-spray or body work? Carfax is clean but that’s not infallible and this looks peculiar. The bumper also looked misaligned, leading me to believe its had rear end work done.

On a Genesis 5.0 R-Spec I’m looking at.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Here’s another pic. It looks like the fender arch wasn’t corrected well.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
That’s a parking lot spray job like Carnica

Or at the auction maybe? Came from Manheim after sitting on a dealer lot since November and then this dealer just purchased. Maybe just dent repair. Would rather look at a dent than this botch job.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Because it’s so porous and metal wouldn’t be?
Yeah, you may be able to see sanding marks, the filler soaks up the paint different, I think if done right it’s alot less noticeable, but I’ve seen it pop out at you like that on a hand full of cars

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you may be able to see sanding marks, the filler soaks up the paint different, I think if done right it’s alot less noticeable, but I’ve seen it pop out at you like that on a hand full of cars

Can definitely see the sanding marks elsewhere in this area.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Any other ones around to compare to?

They had a base model I looked at and saw much cleaner panel gaps and paint consistency. The metal flake really shows how poorly that area was patched.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, doods. I think this would bother me if I had to look at every day. Plus the car was a little ragged and even at a discount I don’t think I want to deal with.

Dan00Hawk

Reaction score
You can also check for paintlines (over spray, tape marks) around the edges just inside where the door and trunk close. Also look for paint missing on the bolts. Pull the weather stripping back to see if it has been rewelded (compare to the other side of the car).

I would definitely pass on that car. Poor repairs like that start rusting way before the rest of the car...

SMRTSS1

Reaction score
Unless QC at the factory took a day off that’s not from the factory. Solvent pop and pinholes that bad and in a small spot is either a miracle of contamination in a controlled environment at the factory or someone did a half-assed job to cover up a repair. Only way to really tell is to get a look at the backside of that area.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom