📸 Photography Official post your pet thread

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Thank god yes, over 1000 calories today! She ate a can of babyhood that tipped her over. 1050 calories.

She fought me hard on the pills though. Damn how does an anorexic dog on deaths door fight so hard to not take her damned pills. Yesterday it was in an out in 2 seconds. Today, 5 minute battle to get 4 pills down her throat. Even with the pill gun so I can put them on the back of her tongue.

She long ago learned the peanut butter trick, the Pill Picket treat trick, and every other 'trick' to hide the pills in something else.

I'm left with shoving the pills down her throat with my fingers, or a pull gun. And I like my fingers. She's never out-right bitten me for that, but she's left me with indents.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Still fighting day by day for Nikki.

Saturday was a close one, I almost put her down, but we revised her meds, and I was finally able to convince them to let me try some of the prescription foods.

She still has zero interest in normal dog food that I've found. Her diet is consisting of Hills Prescription A/D + straight up ground beef that I pan cook then rinse the fat away. Fat is bad for her liver.

However, between that combo, we have successfully topped 1000 calories Saturday and Sunday. And today we are at 520 calories. I have another can of A/D for her, and will ply with some more ground beef.

I may try mixing the fresh ground beef directly into the Hill's A/D. However, I have to be careful. If she decides she doesn't like it, it could mean she turns away from one or both of the two.

She's on a mix of meds. Metronidazole, Ursodiol, Enrofloxacin, and Denamarin. All are for her liver, but some are short-term meds, while others are long term meds.

She's also taking Entyce which is an appetite stimulant for dogs. Unfortunately its a liquid, and such a pain in the ass to give her. I don't know how much of it she drools right back out. And the shit is expensive. $58 for a 15ml bottle. Her dose is 1.7ml per day. So almost $4 per dose each day.

But we are trying. And she is responding. she's up a half pound this week over last, and I'm hoping we can improve on that if I can consistently get her to take 1000 calories in daily.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Still fighting day by day for Nikki.

Saturday was a close one, I almost put her down, but we revised her meds, and I was finally able to convince them to let me try some of the prescription foods.

She still has zero interest in normal dog food that I've found. Her diet is consisting of Hills Prescription A/D + straight up ground beef that I pan cook then rinse the fat away. Fat is bad for her liver.

However, between that combo, we have successfully topped 1000 calories Saturday and Sunday. And today we are at 520 calories. I have another can of A/D for her, and will ply with some more ground beef.

I may try mixing the fresh ground beef directly into the Hill's A/D. However, I have to be careful. If she decides she doesn't like it, it could mean she turns away from one or both of the two.

She's on a mix of meds. Metronidazole, Ursodiol, Enrofloxacin, and Denamarin. All are for her liver, but some are short-term meds, while others are long term meds.

She's also taking Entyce which is an appetite stimulant for dogs. Unfortunately its a liquid, and such a pain in the ass to give her. I don't know how much of it she drools right back out. And the shit is expensive. $58 for a 15ml bottle. Her dose is 1.7ml per day. So almost $4 per dose each day.

But we are trying. And she is responding. she's up a half pound this week over last, and I'm hoping we can improve on that if I can consistently get her to take 1000 calories in daily.
That a/d is good stuff, except for the fat in Nikki's case. It helped Misty but she didn't have any liver issues. For the appetite stimulant can they get you something that is transdermal? For Maia we had a hard time giving her small pills/capsules so they gave us Mirataz (mirtazapine transdermal ointment) which is applied topically to the inner pinna of the ear, once per day. It's mainly for felines, but is also Rx'd for canines. Only negative I've found is the insides of the ears get dirtier, quicker. They also have a tablet form which was once every three days. It definitely helped her appetite while she was recovering.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
My mom sent me this snap this morning. My dad stopped buying fish about 10 years ago. Once they started dying off my dad said he was done with the tank and didn't want to take care of it anymore. When they die they die, and the tank will be thrown out. That was maybe 7ish years ago. This kissing gourami, or Pinky as I call it, is the toughest mofo of a fish I have ever seen. Pinky is about 20 years old. I find it crazy that Pinky is older than two of my college aged cousins and has seen at least 15 other fish introduced and die in his tank. Despite living alone in cesspool of its own filth for about 5 years he's still hanging in there. Poor Pinky. I'm half tempted to sneak an algae eater in there some day while my parents aren't home. I think both my mom and dad would be pissed. I know it's just a fish, but it just seems cruel to me. I wish dad would at least keep the tank clean while a living fish is still in there. Oh well I guess.
View attachment 75177
Dad finally cleaned the tank! Pinky looks happy in the new environment.
Screenshot_20210314-183951.png

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Goodbye Nikki. Well meet again.

I walk to the echo of stars
All around me, under me
A bed made of curious cloth
A pillow from a crib

The skies are dark, all of them
Still comforting starlight
Pouring all over this new home
High above

Younger than yesterday
I feel no pain, no memory lost
Alone yet with everything
What is this space?

Goodnight to an old soul
Goodbye to life once lived
This is my island now
To live it once more
Not long now

This time, this weightless fall
The calming mothers call
Back in time; I'm cleansed and bare
And I see the light
Now I know

They left me with a softest bed
A whitest cloth for a waiting dead
A light to pride and the frequent night
An apple for a thirsty bite

A clean slate, a newborn mind
Brightest blue, purple moon
Life once lived now understood
High above

Tonight I will make the leap
Deep down to the night unknown
That's why they put me here
They, they...

Goodnight to an old soul
This is my island now
To live it once more
Not long now

The calming mothers call
And I see the light
Now I know

Goodnight to an old soul
This is my island now
And live it once more
Not long now

The calming mothers call
And I see the light
Now I know

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So sorry man. Last you posted she was actually putting on some weight. :cry:
I tried so hard, tried every food, human, cat, dog. She just completely lost interest at the end, and what little she would was barely a 10th of what she needed.

At the vet after they put the IV in we went for a walk outside and found a spot to lay down. She laid down next to me on the blanket watching the birds in a bush. We gave her the injection then and she went to sleep, outside where she loved to be. I couldn't put her to sleep in a cold clinic room, not when she loved the outside so much.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I tried so hard, tried every food, human, cat, dog. She just completely lost interest at the end, and what little she would was barely a 10th of what she needed.

At the vet after they put the IV in we went for a walk outside and found a spot to lay down. She laid down next to me on the blanket watching the birds in a bush. We gave her the injection then and she went to sleep, outside where she loved to be. I couldn't put her to sleep in a cold clinic room, not when she loved the outside so much.
That’s a very thoughtful way to do it.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I think the hardest part about losing Nikki is that I constantly find myself mistaking noises the cats make for her walking around.

I constantly look to her favorite places she laid down on.

as she was deaf if she was asleep when I left the area she was in she would search the apt for me. If I was in the bathroom she would poke her head through the threshold and if she saw me she would bunt my leg with her ice cold nose asking for a head scratch.

it’s also hard because I feel restless at home since I don’t take her out every few hours for a walk. Or in the mornings or before bed to do her business. I’m so used to doing this that I get restless.

I miss standing outside in miserable weather while she walks through mud shell later track back into the apartment.
:(

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I think the hardest part about losing Nikki is that I constantly find myself mistaking noises the cats make for her walking around.

I constantly look to her favorite places she laid down on.

as she was deaf if she was asleep when I left the area she was in she would search the apt for me. If I was in the bathroom she would poke her head through the threshold and if she saw me she would bunt my leg with her ice cold nose asking for a head scratch.

it’s also hard because I feel restless at home since I don’t take her out every few hours for a walk. Or in the mornings or before bed to do her business. I’m so used to doing this that I get restless.

I miss standing outside in miserable weather while she walks through mud shell later track back into the apartment.
:(
I'm still somewhat in the same boat over 3 weeks later. At night Ryno slept on the floor right next to my side of the bed. I catch myself looking at that spot anytime I wake up tossing and turning in the middle of the night. When I come home it's weird not having him greet me at the top of the stairs. For some odd reason, my Female laid in his favorite spot to lay in the backyard all day yesterday. A day hasnt gone by where I havent thought of him 5-6 times a day. My Female still walks around with his favorite ball fucking 24/7. She sleeps with the ball and pretty sure I mentioned this before. She never ever liked playing with a ball until Ryno passed. She likes those big ass hard stuffed bones and was constantly gnawing on one. Saturday was the first time I seen her with a bone in her mouth since Ryno passed. She is still super depressed, but showing signs of coming out of it.

• Sad
Reactions: Jon01 and FESTER665

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
It's never easy getting over the passing of a loved one. We've found that after a period of grieving (the time is different for everyone), that getting another dog was a way to fill the hole in our hearts. Once we realized we weren't "replacing" our pet, but rather making room for another one to share the mutual love and joy that comes from our beloved pets, we were more open to the idea. I'm still sad from time to time about losing Wrigley in Dec 2019, but I also am thrilled with Dexter whom we rescued about 6 weeks later.

Thread Info