Sports 🏎️ Official Formula 1 Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
He is seriously the greatest person ever.

"In the world".

But yeah, it really needs to be improved. For one, DRS, okay it's there. But why should front runners get to use backmarkers to activate their DRS? It should be that you have to be one second or less from the car in the position in front of you. That would change up the game a bit. Also, all the fugly aero on the cars, do away with it. I'm not saying remove downforce, but clean the car up, especially the front wings. Something along the lines of the cars from the late 80's, like the McLaren MP4/4 or MP4/5.

I, as well as many, would love to have the V8's or V10's (why not both?) come back, but we know it'll never happen. Another thing, get rid of the stupid fuel flow regulation. Yeah, they can only carry what, 100 or 110kgs of fuel, but so what? De-restrict the cars, let them make power to the full potential. They're short shifting every gear to conserve fuel. If they run out of fuel, that's their problem. Drivers need to manage it better. Bringing back re-fueling during pitstops would reinforce the deregulated fuel flows, granted I know there is a large safety aspect to it being gone. However, other top-tier auto racing does have fuel stops.

Oh, and Clarkson's eyebrows are really starting to get to me. Take five seconds and hack off that branch that's obscuring half of your right eye, LOL.

So, fix the stupid DRS rules, clean up the car, do whatever you want with the tires (softer, harder, degrade faster/slower), but give the cars much smaller fuel tanks and bring back refueling. That'll get cars moving around more. It'll also make them smaller again, so more room for passing.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Forgot to post up about this yesterday, but the rain made for yet another fairly interesting race. Apparently all Vettel needs to do to get a podium is have half the field crash out! And this will be a weekend Kvyat will never forget. His first kid is born and the next day he's on the podium. Dude should have way more kids. :rofl: good for him tho, and Toro Rosso. Gasly better watch out.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The rain is such a great equalizer, like when Jenson Button won in Canada 2011. I am not a Vettel fan, at all. Even as he ages he is still whiny (think Suzuka a few years ago "But it's not fair!!!"). But I will give him credit for keeping all four wheels on the pavement this year, where so many others could not. I don't get why anyone went to the slicks so early? The track clearly could not support their usage. Same with the arguments and complaining of track limits. Think of the outside of the rumble strip as like a wall, like Singapore or Monaco. You go beyond that and you get penalized.

I've been hearing talk that Bottas's off will cost him his seat for next year, but I don't think so. He has delivered too many times and has done exactly what the team has asked of him, especially when it comes to team orders. If he should lose his seat he should high-tail it over to Haas, they could use his coolness under pressure. Also read that Netflix was filming their F1 special and it was Mercedes's garage they were in this past weekend. I hope they don't cut anything out, as they have the final say as to what gets broadcast. Seeing Toto Wolff slamming his fists down will be worth it, and I have nothing against Mercedes. Or as Paul Di Resta says, "Mersheadez".

Time for a commenter change. Di Resta needs to go, he wasn't that good of a driver in the short time he was in F1, so he really doesn't have the right to comment on current driver's mistakes. Same with Chandok, who had only 11 starts, less than a season. And for pete's sake, keep Rosberg off the air. That man is more dense than a concrete floor. He didn't have the balls to back up a championship that he barely won thanks to someone else's mechanical failure earlier in the year. Personally I don't think you can call yourself a "champion" unless you defend the title at least one season. Unless of course it is awarded posthumously, like Jochen Rindt (RIP).

I still want them to change the DRS rules though. No using backmarkers to activate your DRS. It has to be the car in the position ahead of you. No one can seem to explain why this isn't the rule. If you're going fast enough to lap someone, then you shouldn't get to use DRS to pass them.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, he needs to go. We're stuck with Karun this weekend, guess the Ted is out sick.

Even though the coverage was absolutely terrible, I do miss the US crew when it was on NBC Sports. Well, 2/3rds of them. Bob Varsha and Hobbo were great. Matchett got old after about 30 seconds. Varsha was an encyclopedia, Hobbo had decades of racing experience in a variety of classes, and, well, Matchett did one job 20-30 years ago that he had to keep bringing up over and over again. "When I was at Ferrari..." Ten minutes later talking about a technical item "When I was at Ferrari"...

Just got old. Couldn't stand Leigh Diffy in the least. Varsha & Hobbo and you've got all you need. NBC, stood for Never-ending Barrage of Commercials. There were far too many occasions where the commercials got more air time than the race did. Atrocious. I'm glad ESPN worked things up for that first round of 2018 in Australia. Their promise of running FP1, FP2, FP3, Qualifying, and the Race without commercial interruptions has been good. Granted they do throw in the odd commercials during FP when things are slow, which is just fine. I just wish they didn't cut off the Sky broadcast so quick after some of the races. I really need to get a VPN to stream the Sky version and the specials they put out. Plus, I need my fix of MotoGP and WSBK. Since DipshiTV (directv) shit the bed and dropped BEin sports last year I've been missing my two wheel action.

I'm waiting for Button to get back into the booth. Might be a bit with the new baby (Hendrix), but he's running the SuperGT Fuji 500 Mile this weekend. I don't mind Croft that much, he does make a lot of good points, even though he's never driven a race car. Brundle is always a joy to listen to, and I have to say that Anthony Davidson has done quite a solid job. He has the chops, having driven F1 and continues to drive other classes.

So, let me revise that... Varsha, Hobbo, and Brundle. That'll be a solid team, and all can be understood. Maybe alternate Will Buxton and Ted Kravitz for the pit lane stuff. Though I do miss Peter Windsor as the man on the ground.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Oh shit. It's happening. Gasly, OUT. Albon, IN. :run:

Question is, did they actually demote him, or did he wise up and ask to get away from MV? I swear MV and Stroll have those faces that you just want to punch.

I think he asked to be sent down to Toro Rosso to get away from Max. Like how Daniel Ricciardo moved over to Renault. Kind of get the feeling no one wants to be Max's teammate.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I don't know if I buy into that. Sure, Max is the favorite child just like Seb was before him, but the only way I'd request out of a team is if I thought I could do better elsewhere with another team. I certainly wouldn't request my own demotion. This is just the luxury red bull has. Perform to their expectations, or to the B squad you go. It's how they've always been.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Yeah Haas's decision confuses me. And Hulk w/o a seat makes me sad. Also Kubica is sad, but completely not shocking. Maybe he'd do better in a car that could actually compete? But I still think his rally injury might just be a BIT much to overcome in the F1 world. You can see it in any onboard shots when he drives.

But hey....... Ocon 2020!!

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Oh Kvyat....

MajesticGentleBonobo-small.gif

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
It was an interesting race all around. There was MAYBE 20 laps of actual racing. The first half was a parade, and then the safety car led much of the 2nd half :LOL: But thats Singapore. I think Ricciardo was the only one racing the whole time. And then he got screwed.
Yeah, I starting watching it live, while it was recording on the DVR. Fell asleep about 17-20 laps in. Woke up and it was almost over, so I rolled it back to where I nodded off. 10-15 minutes later I fell asleep again.

Those streets circuits really need to be yanked off the calendar, especially Monaco. So boring. Like you said, mostly a parade. Monaco was never intended to handle such large race cars. When they first started racing there the cars were half the current size (2.0m width) so you could have more wheel to wheel racing. Singapore is almost as bad. Zzzzzzz. Drop Russia too, another snooze fest. Would be great if they could get a tracks like Road America or Barber sanctioned to run F1. Great tracks to race on (I've done both) and nice scenery for the screen. Oh, Mosport too, that's a great track to add another to the Canadian calendar.

But today's race, big yawn. And Leclerc got a little screwed. The race strategy played out best for Ferrari, securing a 1-2 finish. Had they not shifted Vettel into the lead it might have been a 1-3 finish.

I'm keen to see what the 2021 cars are going to look like. The current ones and past recent years are way the fuck to busy with their aero. Go back to early 90's with the clean cars and a front wing with only endplates on it. Lose all that extra winglets and shit. Make the cars heavier too, so that they can be made beefier to take more hits. Tired of seeing suspension failure when a butterfly flaps its wings and generates a load from the side and the bits fail, lol.

Reactions: IDAFC21

Thread Info