Notre Dame is on fire

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I mean, I think it's early to start throwing around terrorists did it. Right now, it's just a lot of speculation and no actual proof. Is it possible, of course. But the ongoing structure repairs is also a highly possible scenario.

That being said, ISIS is notorious for destroying art and religious monuments; regardless of what religion it is.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Some of the gothic cathedrals have had to come back from total fires or worse. There are some really good and amazing stories from history in that regard. That being said, it seems like this was either an intentional act or carelessness... which shouldn't have happened either way.

Did that article say there was a shit ton of lead burning?

I may go to hell for this, Notre Dame de Paris was one of the less awe inspiring cathedrals I saw when I was there. Like the rest of them that have gone through similar events, they will rebuild it and it'll be fine. Glad to hear they got all the valuable art pieces out of there, and it seems like no one was hurt or killed, so in the end it's only so bad.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Seeing some pix of the day after.

Very inspiring to the faithful that the Cross was spared the flames.

Attachments

• 1_FRANCE-FIRE-NOTRE-DAME.jpg
    1_FRANCE-FIRE-NOTRE-DAME.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 78

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yesterday morning they had something like $670+million USD already donated. I don't think funds will be the issue.

It is just sad that wood from something like the 1140's-1150's gone. Plus what other pieces that are gone due to this. It is only original once. I am sure it will look amazing after the restoration. It was good to hear they were removing works of art and other pieces out of the building as they were fighting the fire.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Yesterday morning they had something like $670+million USD already donated. I don't think funds will be the issue.

It is just sad that wood from something like the 1140's-1150's gone. Plus what other pieces that are gone due to this. It is only original once. I am sure it will look amazing after the restoration. It was good to hear they were removing works of art and other pieces out of the building as they were fighting the fire.

Not sure the validity of it, but the news said the type of wood used in the roof of Notre Dame isn't even available anymore in the lengths they had at the time it was built. So like you said, I'm sure it will be outstanding once complete...but it will never be the same.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The reason there's speculation of arson is that France has had a major problem with defacement of religious institutions at the moment including church burnings.

That said accidental isn't unlikely either. If they had electrical wiring from a long time ago (think knob/tube) the stuff had a reputation for burning down buildings. If someone hit a wire with a nail, saw or similar it could have easily done something like this too.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
The reason there's speculation of arson is that France has had a major problem with defacement of religious institutions at the moment including church burnings.

That said accidental isn't unlikely either. If they had electrical wiring from a long time ago (think knob/tube) the stuff had a reputation for burning down buildings. If someone hit a wire with a nail, saw or similar it could have easily done something like this too.

The dozen other churches vandalized recently is very suspicious timing and the media is great at not reporting it. On the other hand, if it was 12 mosques CNN/MSNBC would have the biggest raging boner breaking news coverage in the history of television. It would be Trump's fault too.

It could be an accident but they seem very quick to say it was accidental. The gov over there also knows the outcome if this was arson/terrorism.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Not sure the validity of it, but the news said the type of wood used in the roof of Notre Dame isn't even available anymore in the lengths they had at the time it was built. So like you said, I'm sure it will be outstanding once complete...but it will never be the same.

Reminds me of homes my grandfather built in the 50s and 60s. In Homewood, Flossmoor, Crete , etc..

There are huge boards used for the floor in the attic. At a house in Homewood. That a lot of people told me, those aren’t even available anymore.

My grandfather was a carpenter. Him and his brothers owned a construction company.

Obviously. All older homes have materials (wood). That isn’t available anymore.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Reports of over $900 million.....

Amazing... Over night people can raise funds for a building that burned but still their will hundreds, if not thousands of kids dying tonight of starvation.

Wonderful

Like I already mentioned the Vatican (Catholics) are wealthy. And they don’t like to spend too much or give too much away to humans that need necessities like fucking food and clothes and shelter.

I’ve always heard they have priceless solid gold relics too. Idk. Though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info