Norton NRV588 rotary-powered motorcycle in action

Primalzer

Reaction score

Undoubtedly, the company that's most often associated with rotary engine technology is Mazda. The Japanese automaker has been building Wankel powerplants for decades, with the current RX-8 standing alone as the only new automobile powered by the innovative engine architecture. In reality, though, many firms have experimented with the rotary engine, including Suzuki, which offered a rotary-powered motorcycle in the Seventies. Up until the mid-Nineties, European racetracks were filled with the buzzing sounds of Wankel-engined Norton motorcycles terrorizing their larger four-stoke twin-cylinder competitors and winning races such as the Isle of Man TT in 1992.

That unmistakable buzzsaw sound is set to make a comeback at this year's running at the Isle of Man as the latest Norton revival takes to the track. Click past the break for a video of the rotary-powered NRV588 as it makes a few laps at Donington Park and the dyno. Pay special attention to the exposed exhaust pipes, which reportedly get so hot they need to be made from Inconel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-n7-naQxo&feature=player_embedded

:eek:

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Reaction score
I don't care what anyone says, a rotary motor is sweet to put on anything.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
rotary engines are pretty light from what i've heard :dunno:

do they always run that hot though?

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Reaction score
I think any race motor is going to do that, but that thing didn't have the air flow or the fairings on.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
i want it badly

i wonder what it would do against a busa.....although i'm sure this one would tear it it up on the circuit

OP
P

Primalzer

Reaction score
It kinda looks like it's got the weight/size of a 600 but the power of a 1300.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom