📸 Photography Northern lights last night

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
So I went up into Wisconsin because we were supposed to have a really nice G3 storm. I wanted to get the reflection off the lake. Unfortunately it was getting pretty late and there was only a faint green on the Horizon.

So we started heading back home when the data started looking better so I found a place off of I-39 near Edgerton to stop.
There wasn't anything impressive for like an hour and then out of nowhere.
This happened

Obligatory regal pic

and then over just like that. Lasted about 20 minutes

There is another chance tonight. I will have to keep an eye on the data.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Great pictures...

Still need to go and see them in person. Do you usually just head up there for a night or is it a trip up to see and then head back down ?!?!?

Well.... If you want to see them really good with the naked eye, you'll have to go WAY up north. Like into Canada. If you just want to see them when the data is good, you can see them in Wisconsin sometimes. I basically drove up a little Northeast of Madison, waited and headed back. I do a lot of driving..
ONCE I saw them by my old apartment in Naperville going nuts in the sky. That was about 12 years ago and I don't think they have been as intense since then.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Well.... If you want to see them really good with the naked eye, you'll have to go WAY up north. Like into Canada. If you just want to see them when the data is good, you can see them in Wisconsin sometimes. I basically drove up a little Northeast of Madison, waited and headed back. I do a lot of driving..
ONCE I saw them by my old apartment in Naperville going nuts in the sky. That was about 12 years ago and I don't think they have been as intense since then.

I heard there was going to be a good chance last night, I was just unsure of how far I would have to drive to see them....

Still want to go to Alaska once to see them there too.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
How long is the event supposed to be? My wife is going up to Door County this weekend and is hoping she'll see the lights.

This particular event will be done tonight (unfortunately we can't even see anything because of fog).
That doesn't mean there can't be another solar flare happening in the next few days causing Auroras. Will just have to watch the data.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
Friend of mine posted these from her backyard during last night’s show in Alaska.

IMG_3373.jpeg
IMG_3374.jpeg
IMG_3375.jpeg
IMG_3376.jpeg

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
One day, I'd love to just take a week or two and DRIVE to Alaska, finding all the winding backroads I could on the way.
When I moved away from Chicago in 2006, I drove to Alaska. My stops were:

Bloomington, MN
Rapid City, SD
Butte, MT
Edmonton, AB
Dawson Creek, BC (start of Alaska Highway)
Watson Lake, YT
Tok, AK
Anchorage

Jaw-dropping beautiful

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info