NHTSA OKs advanced headlights for use in U.S.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Again, all for that.

I get that the van isn't anywhere near this realm, but she leaves it in auto-high mode, then I go drive it at night and you could have a pen light 5 miles down the road turn on and it shuts them off completely. It is REALLY sensitive and almost annoying...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I had this on my 2014 535D and it's almost reason enough to buy the car. They are unlike anything you've ever seen. They create a tunnel of low beam light that will track the car in front of you, they'll keep a high beam constantly point up and to the right at road signs on the expressway and they track oncoming traffic to create a tunnel of low beam light that follows them too.

The good news is that a lot of cars in the US, especially BMWs, already have this. I know th 5 series BMWs with the LED headlights all have had it since 2014 and part of the pre-purchase inspection when the cars came off the truck was to code out the anti-glare feature. So you could just go back in there and code it back in.

What would be cool is if BMW offers programming to retroactively enable this on those cars so you don't have to do it yourself.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
"that's it" was moreover meant to that's all [MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION] had to agree to... but now that you asked... i just want to know that im right?

jeeze

i hacked up posts of yours from half a decade ago and i dont even get a like.

Well he wants a date and thinks my wife will hook him up with one while she is out in Cali.... But I couldn't guarantee that so he'll have to settle for man sex when I am out there next month.

I'm a sure thing.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I was telling John how backwards ass the US is with regulation. The new A8 that has legitimate level 3 self driving on expressways up to 37mph... Audi announced not too long ago that it's not coming to the US because of regulations.

The I8's laser headlights didn't come here originally because of regulations and all of Audi's new tail lights are technically illegal.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
If this is the only legality issue, and the tech has existed for 5+ years, why didn't manufacturers just make it so that you have the fully adaptive lights in high beam mode? Instead of the car just turning your brights off entirely when you come across traffic. Then you'd still have the cool new headlights, you just have to drive around with your brights on, which many people do anyways if they have a car that automatically shuts the brights off anytime someone is coming.

The problem is the lights ran afoul of U.S. rules setting maximum levels for lower beams.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If this is the only legality issue, and the tech has existed for 5+ years, why didn't manufacturers just make it so that you have the fully adaptive lights in high beam mode? Instead of the car just turning your brights off entirely when you come across traffic. Then you'd still have the cool new headlights, you just have to drive around with your brights on, which many people do anyways if they have a car that automatically shuts the brights off anytime someone is coming.

Maybe I don't understand the question but the system is constantly switching between full low beam and full high beam and then a mixture of the two. So having it on any time is equivalent to being able to have it on all of the time which apparently was illegal.

I mean it makes no sense either way. The system is objectively way better than simple auto high/low beams.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Maybe I don't understand the question but the system is constantly switching between full low beam and full high beam and then a mixture of the two. So having it on any time is equivalent to being able to have it on all of the time which apparently was illegal.

I mean it makes no sense either way. The system is objectively way better than simple auto high/low beams.

What i mean is, why didn't the manufacturers leave low beam neutered as it is right now, but if high-beams are on make it so that the sooper adaptive tech kicks in. It looks like the only legal hurdle was the low beam output in these lights was higher than the US allowed

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Hmm...I've always wondered if I could enable this ability in my 235........Might have to look into this again now.

Judging from your signature picture, no. It's disputed whether you need the basic camera or a KAFAS camera for lane departure warnings but you don't appear to have either.

The other thing you need to watch out for is that some cars shipped here with the programming turned off but also shipped with the mechanicals not installed in the headlights. I think almost all of the HID cars equipped with this are missing the hardware in the US. So people grab the euro lights but those are aimed for left side driving.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Damn, at this point we are going to see [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] , [MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION] , and [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] all on TV show Sister Husbands. All living in a culdesac complaining they dont get enough time with their one wife. :rofl:

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Damn, at this point we are going to see [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] , [MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION] , and [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] all on TV show Sister Husbands. All living in a culdesac complaining they dont get enough time with their one wife. :rofl:
[MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] did invite my wife over to his house... She is in California for a week...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

You been creeping on our texts? Not 12 hours ago I suggested to John's wife that we set up some sort of sister husbands arrangement and just keep John around for the paycheck.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
giphy.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info