New TV advice. Turk step inside

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
My biggest win with the TCL/Roku TV is that everything works with one remote. It replaced 2-3 remotes. Huge app selection, easy to get to OTA TV and Xbox. Plus the TV talks to the receiver too for volume. I love that I don’t have to leave instructions on how to use the TV. It’s replaced Apple TV (I can still stream photos and videos through the Roku app) and other peripheries that are now built in.

Yuuuuup! Being able to do ALMOST everything w/ the built in software is incredible. Plus when your wife loses the remote for a week, you can use your phone to control the TV!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
so

i did the XBR 930e... from crutchfield. im super happy with my decision. the tv is bright and awesome looking.

i went crutchfield because no sales tax/shipping and they price match for 60 days after purchase... so if it drops, im covered.

fSicL7Ul.jpg

thanks to TCG for explaining hdmi arc dealio to me though... that helped a lot for me to understand.

as far as the tv goes, i love it... it has a sony voice remote that is super intuitive and really awesome to work with. it's an android tv so it's super simple to navigate and customize imo... i set it up with my phone in a few minutes. it's hardwired to my router as well so it runs well.

it knows how to turn on/off my surround receiver and adjusts volume through it without me having done anything. i couldn't be happier. :bigthumb:

so i can't find where we were talking about it [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] but i figured this thread was a good enough catch all...

that HDCP 2.2 thing reared it's head i believe with my setup. it's interesting. so what happened is all of a sudden there was no audio from what i was watching/playing over my surround speakers in my living room, BUT there is menu noises, like when scrolling, it "dings"

I'm thinking the tv updated itself and learned this new trick.

sucks.

it was fucking awesome though because my tv remote controlled my surround sound receiver PERFECTLY without a direct line of sight or any programming whatsoever... shit... the receiver is in an entirely other room. but yeah. what sucks is i think im past my amazon return period for the receiver and might be stuck with it now at this point.

motherfuckers.

welp. im about to stab someone over this tv. i rarely watch tv, and when i do, i just want it to FUCKING WORK.

google/android/sony have rolled out like 3 updates since i've gotten it, and it seems as if though i, and every other sony/android tv owner is a fucking beta tester.

complete bullshit. so this sound thing was somehow fixed by sony last time through their customer service- which i do have to say was fantastic- quick answer, not "turn off turn on again" bullshit.

but now, google home USED TO be able to hear me go "hey google turn the tv on" boom tv on... or "hey google play _____ on youtube on the tv" and boom now it works. welp, android's latest update, whoever decided to just fucking ditch this functionality.

NOW i don't have sound, fucking again, it says my sony receiver is an approved model, it's connected the exact way it's always been and now no sound again. the fucked up part is the tv "ding" sounds play through my surround speakers, but nothing else, and the tv says it doesn't see a receiver.

the most recent update did a few things where the menu's are much quicker, more intuitive and smoother to use, but fuck, id rather have the "old way" back.

the issue seems to stem from google/android tv and sony basically doing this to eachother on who needs to fix shit.

giphy.gif

https://9to5google.com/2019/04/03/android-tv-google-assistant-cast-broken/

Google’s platform for the big screen, Android TV, was recently subject to a potentially scary bug. To help ease concerns, Google temporarily disabled some of the related functionality, but nearly a month later, casting content from Google Assistant to Android TV is still totally broken, and the company has gone silent.

One big perk of Android TV is that every device on the platform essentially has a Chromecast built in. However, that functionality has been partially broken for quite some time.

As part of its reaction to the recent Google Photos bug, Google disabled casting content to Android TV by way of Google Assistant. This, of course, included Google Photos, but it also killed the ability to cast apps like YouTube or Spotify. As Android Police notes, plenty of Android TV users, especially Nvidia Shield owners, are complaining about this broken functionality.

This disabled functionality has been gone for nearly a month at this point, and Google has yet to confirm when it will be turned back on. One tweet from Google says that the company is “aware and working on a fix,” but no timeline was provided.

You can still cast to Android TV directly from apps on your phone or computer, but voice commands including those from Google Home won’t work. In my own testing, I noted that the functionality would appear to work, only to be followed by an error message. Especially given the platform’s growth, one would think this bug would be a priority for Google to fix.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
https://support.google.com/googlehome/thread/2011383?hl=en

Justin Wood
2 days

Google Home App still crashes when you try to change settings for my Sony TV.

I raised a ticket with Sony. Sony confirmed the defect with Google then closed the ticket.

Sony appear to be doing little to advocate for their customers who have lost significant functionality for months.

fucking K

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
welp. im about to stab someone over this tv. i rarely watch tv, and when i do, i just want it to FUCKING WORK.

google/android/sony have rolled out like 3 updates since i've gotten it, and it seems as if though i, and every other sony/android tv owner is a fucking beta tester.

complete bullshit. so this sound thing was somehow fixed by sony last time through their customer service- which i do have to say was fantastic- quick answer, not "turn off turn on again" bullshit.

but now, google home USED TO be able to hear me go "hey google turn the tv on" boom tv on... or "hey google play _____ on youtube on the tv" and boom now it works. welp, android's latest update, whoever decided to just fucking ditch this functionality.

NOW i don't have sound, fucking again, it says my sony receiver is an approved model, it's connected the exact way it's always been and now no sound again. the fucked up part is the tv "ding" sounds play through my surround speakers, but nothing else, and the tv says it doesn't see a receiver.

the most recent update did a few things where the menu's are much quicker, more intuitive and smoother to use, but fuck, id rather have the "old way" back.

the issue seems to stem from google/android tv and sony basically doing this to eachother on who needs to fix shit.

giphy.gif

https://9to5google.com/2019/04/03/android-tv-google-assistant-cast-broken/

i wonder how much ill have to bitch to google/sony/crutchfield about how much this sucks to get some satisfaction.

It’s within the limitations of Roku’s own voice commands (through their remote or mobile app). I haven’t tried because I found Google Home and assistant to not offer much value for how glitchy and wrong it was most of the time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...73853/how-to-use-roku-voice-controls.amp.html

welp.

"they" (sony? google? who the fuck knows) ficksed it :rofl:

really haven't done much tv stuff since i made that post... the other night i went

HAI GOOGOOGOGLLE TURNRNRNN ON THE TEEE VEEEEE

"okay turning on the living room tv"

:coolio:

for my surround sound conundrum, i pulled the tv from the wall and ran a fiber optic cable, the arc hdmi hookup still hookeded up and sound wasn't loud.

100 on the scale was- have a normal converstaion which isn't goin to fuckin' cut it.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00180150

FICKSED IT :fy:

i do feel like my wife wishes i wouldn't have figured out the remedy though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info