New network gear selection

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I am getting ready to order pretty much all of my networking stuff, including these access points. I just want to be sure, I don't need a separate router at all? Do I need a managed POE switch for them, or can they be on an unmanaged POE switch?

Thanks,
Sean
They can be on an unmanaged Poe switch.

You need a router for the access points. You can use your existing one though.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Well I ordered everything up a while back, and was trying to get it set up this weekend. I messed with it most of the day Saturday, and then most of the day yesterday. Including talking to customer support for over 3 hours, and they finally gave up. I cant even do the initial configuration on either AP. I also got an Edge 12P router from them which I more or less have working, but it was doing some weird stuff too.

Anyway, it all seems really nice and the it can do WAY more than I will ever need. I realize its not consumer grade stuff that is super simple, and I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous, but man! I would have thought I would get stuck much later in the setup :)

Just wanted to update ya guys. I will let you know if/when I get it actually set up and running.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Well I ordered everything up a while back, and was trying to get it set up this weekend. I messed with it most of the day Saturday, and then most of the day yesterday. Including talking to customer support for over 3 hours, and they finally gave up. I cant even do the initial configuration on either AP. I also got an Edge 12P router from them which I more or less have working, but it was doing some weird stuff too.

Anyway, it all seems really nice and the it can do WAY more than I will ever need. I realize its not consumer grade stuff that is super simple, and I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous, but man! I would have thought I would get stuck much later in the setup :)

Just wanted to update ya guys. I will let you know if/when I get it actually set up and running.
what equipment? I can probably help you out.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Well got it all sorted out. Spent some time talking to a network engineer who develops the software Ubiquiti is based on. He had it all fixed up in no time! To be honest I only followed along with a bit of it, but he updated to an older firmware first (3.9.XX) and then to the latest (4.0.XX). I think the second one he did directly to the latest firmware, but I am not 100% sure on that. He said that the commands I was running wont work with it connected directly to the PC like I had. Which is frustrating since the customer service people knew it was directly connected at the time. We had gone over it multiple times.

Anyway, they are both adopted into the system now so I can go ahead and move everything back to the rack and set it all up. I am excited to have such a capable (if not overkill) network :D

Sean

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Update: I am probably starting over.

Long story short, after hours last night of messing with everything the setup I have is both overkill, and also not really good for what I need. The main issue is the router and how I had intended to use it. While it CAN act as a switch, which means I can directly connect the AP's to it, it does switching via software which makes it slow. They suggest going to a managed switch and doing it from there. If that is the case, then having a 12 port POE Router is pretty much 100% useless for me. Also it uses a different software than the AP's so managing becomes that much more difficult, same goes for the switch I have.

I wasn't able to sleep last night, spent way too much time re-configuring the whole network in my head. I also talked to the guy who has been helping me with all of this and asked what he would suggest if starting over. I think for the main backbone of the network I am going to get the following

UniFi Security Gateway
UniFi Cloud Key Gen2
UniFi NanoHD (qty. 2)
UniFi Switch 24 (250W)

That will all me to setup, and manage everything from a single point, and give me easy remote access. I will have to VLAN the switch, but that isn't a big deal. Now I need to decide what to do with the gear I have. I can return the AP's no problem, but the router and switch I am not sure. They were bought through Ubiquiti directly, but I also threw out the boxes (like an idiot). I shot them a message to see if they will accept them anyway, but I doubt they will.

Its annoying overall, but its my own fault. I didn't understand the architecture so I was mixing and matching gear without realizing that was going to cause headaches. Now I know for next time, just hope this lesson doesn't cost me too much money.

Sean

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Update: I am probably starting over.

Long story short, after hours last night of messing with everything the setup I have is both overkill, and also not really good for what I need. The main issue is the router and how I had intended to use it. While it CAN act as a switch, which means I can directly connect the AP's to it, it does switching via software which makes it slow. They suggest going to a managed switch and doing it from there. If that is the case, then having a 12 port POE Router is pretty much 100% useless for me. Also it uses a different software than the AP's so managing becomes that much more difficult, same goes for the switch I have.

I wasn't able to sleep last night, spent way too much time re-configuring the whole network in my head. I also talked to the guy who has been helping me with all of this and asked what he would suggest if starting over. I think for the main backbone of the network I am going to get the following

UniFi Security Gateway
UniFi Cloud Key Gen2
UniFi NanoHD (qty. 2)
UniFi Switch 24 (250W)

That will all me to setup, and manage everything from a single point, and give me easy remote access. I will have to VLAN the switch, but that isn't a big deal. Now I need to decide what to do with the gear I have. I can return the AP's no problem, but the router and switch I am not sure. They were bought through Ubiquiti directly, but I also threw out the boxes (like an idiot). I shot them a message to see if they will accept them anyway, but I doubt they will.

Its annoying overall, but its my own fault. I didn't understand the architecture so I was mixing and matching gear without realizing that was going to cause headaches. Now I know for next time, just hope this lesson doesn't cost me too much money.

Sean
I had a feeling this was going to happen. yeah the equipment you have was way overkill for a house unless you are a network engineer. UniFi is way more user friendly .

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
It all makes sense now :D Like I said I just didn't really understand the architecture so I figured better was better. Also some of their naming is confusing in a way. Now that I know what it is and what its used for I get it, but before I was thinking I need a router not a security gateway. Also had no idea what the cloud key (horrible name) did.

I ended up learning some stuff from all of this so not a total waste. Like I said I just hope I don't get too burned on the Edge gear.

Sean

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
It all makes sense now :D Like I said I just didn't really understand the architecture so I figured better was better. Also some of their naming is confusing in a way. Now that I know what it is and what its used for I get it, but before I was thinking I need a router not a security gateway. Also had no idea what the cloud key (horrible name) did.

I ended up learning some stuff from all of this so not a total waste. Like I said I just hope I don't get too burned on the Edge gear.

Sean

agreed on their naming conventions being confusing. I researched for quite awhile before I realized the difference between UniFi and UNMS and how they are completely different platforms.

I was going to go with the USG to have all UniFi stuff, but I already had the edge router and the USG was 2-3x the price with slower Max throughput.

when they put out the next gen USG, I'll probably upgrade to that. although I've been really eyeing setting up a Pfsense box for my router.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
A Pfsense would be cool. Maybe one day, but for now this is overkill enough for me. At the old house it was just an Asus router and some dumb switches. This is a big upgrade anyway, and I need to get back focused on the car :D

Sean
yeah my wife hates that I keep messing with things :rofl:

everything has been working and solid since moving to ubiquiti. only down time I've had is when I did firmware upgrades or when I am fucking with things :rofl:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The amount of not caring I got from my wife when I showed her the customized guest network for when her family/friends stay with us was amazing.
and then they give out the main home network password....like WTF. there is a reason for the guest network....so their shit doesn't fuck up ours!

Reactions: Intel and Broke EF

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
download_20190925_111356.jpg

Bit of a mess as the poe switch just took a shit. Adding an Ap soon in my newly renovated kitchen so will have one AP for each floor.

Reactions: Broke EF

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Since I have a problem, I ordered all of the gear I previously listed last week. Everything came in by Friday so I had a bit of time to mess with it all.

20191108_175613-X4.jpg

All hooked up and powered
20191108_180303-X3.jpg

And after moving it so I could get internet, and getting everything updated and configured
20191108_225934-X4.jpg

I only had a couple small hangups with this whole setup. My main "issue" was I had the UniFi software on my laptop, so at first the Cloud Key only picked up one AP, and the software on my laptop picked up the rest. That was a simple fix though, just reset everything and brought them in and updated one by one. I was pretty impressed with how easily everything just worked. The switch knew which ports to power on its own for example.

I have only done a basic wireless network setup so far. I did create a guest network that is unable to access or see any of my other networks, or any other device on its network. It also has reduced internet speed just because :D. Next up I am going to tackle the VLAN's, and probably play around some more with different permissions, VLANS, and Trunks because why not. The other thing that is amazing is how much you can see from the app, even on my phone I can dig in and pretty much see what each client is doing. All of it is way over kill, but it should be reliable as fuck, and also I feel a lot better with this level of security and separation with my networks. Part of that is because of the cameras and such after being burglarized.

I already ordered the (pointless) rack mount for the cloud key. I need to order wire and patch panels next, which should be soon. Then I can start getting everything mounted and wired. I still need another switch, and I am considering getting another UniFi switch just because how nice it is. It would be totally unnecessary since it would just be to get networking to TV's and such, but we will see. It would make all the network gear in the one rack all Ubiquiti :D

Sean

Reactions: bikrboy128

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I got slightly unlazy this weekend, and moved everything down into the rack. First up though, I got the rack mount for the Cloud Key

i-dJTdBtn-X4.jpg

And the Security Gateway
i-3z3BkQ9-X4.jpg

I set up before I put it all in place, and of course the blue on the Cloud Key mount is different from every other UniFi device!!!
i-DJ3trR3-X3.jpg

So annoying, but at least it will live in my basement where I will barely ever see it. It is also a slightly different silver, and slightly narrower... I need to let this go :)

Anyway, here it is all in the rack, with the EdgeSwitch 16 (150W) that I need to sell.
i-T9rN9Xw-X3.jpg

I ended up ordering the UniFi 24 port, non-POE switch to add to this rack. I have 0 need for a managed switch for that, but I just had to. I am going to do a 48 port patch panel between the switches to kind of keep the wiring clean. I really need to start pulling wire all over so I can at least get some connections in the other rack.
i-5Dn9ZHz-X3.jpg

Who knows, maybe I will change that switch to a UniFi as well. I may have a problem :D

Sean

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info