needs tires, buys truck

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
waiting on a second pair of hands but the bed cover install is easier than I thought.

3os4k6H.jpg

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
So the plastic part of this factory pipe kit is absolutely known to fail under stock power so had to upgrade for the insurance. I didn't expect any difference in performance but the slightly better flow of the piping with the new housing not having this actuator made the truck snappier and I don't think its a placebo feeling.

old
kfF0DC8.jpg

QHwwbSu.jpg

new installed

ZXarCQi.jpg

LsiXmke.jpg

Very interested in getting this to a dyno day to whats up #'s wise.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
So finally decided to pull the trigger on some audio upgrades.

Kicker KISLOC 2-Channel K-Series Speaker Cable to RCA Adapter with Line Out Converter
2 of Kicker 10CVT104 10-Inch CompVT Series Shallow Mount Subwoofer
Kicker 43CXARC Bass Remote Control for KICKER CXA-Series/PXA-Serie/CX-Series Amplifiers
Kicker 12CX1200.1 Sub Amplifier CX1200.1 Amp 1200W
Q Power Dual 10" Ported Enclosure for Ford Super Duty 00-16

Kicker Speaker Bundle - Two pairs of Kicker 6x8 Inch KS-Series Speakers 41KSC684
2 of Metra 72-5600 Ford Speaker Harness 1998-UP

sealed > ported but it is what it is with the selections out there. I have to check what wiring I already have before grabbing that.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
looks like its just over a third of what a kicker complete turn-key system is. Any audiofiles have any constructive criticism before I install this junk? I have no problem swapping out parts with amazons return policy.

The subs are 4 ohm, so I am going to wire them in parallel to get a 2 ohm load to the 2 ohm amp.
[MENTION=98]smug[/MENTION] [MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION] [MENTION=1835]JDHedman[/MENTION]

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I don't really see anything bad about that set up. As I said, even my pedestrian setup is beyond magnitudes better than the Raptor system was. The issue with using the factory Ford headunit is it's going to retain the factory EQ settings if you don't use a processor to unfuck them and level it out.

I'd say my only piece of advice is once it's all installed, take the extra couple of hours after installation and tune it and configure it properly. This is an amateur speaking here but it worked great for me and all my music sounds great. Find your best quality music that is composed the best and turn the bass off completely. Tune the EQ and high pass filters so the speakers sound good, you can hear all the instruments clearly, and aren't distorting at high volume levels. You'll want a little bit of lows (>125Hz IMO) in the speaker but obviously mids and highs. Once that's dialed in, turn the sub/bass back on, and set the bass remote to 3/4 volume then adjust the gain on the amp to what you feel is borderline too much bass. That way, depending on the song you're listening to, you can turn the bass remote down or up if the song isn't composed as good or has too much bass, etc.

I have my knob set where when it's in the middle position, it's just the right amount of bass regardless of what song. If it's an old school Lynyrd Skynyrd song with no bass, I'll turn the remote up. If it's Lamb of God, and I want to hear the crisp bass kicks but still want bass, I'll turn it down.

Thread Info