🔧 BUILD My Touring Obsession continues (2008 328XI) Once again not a Ford

General Information

So I don't typical make threads on most cars I purchase. As I pretty much move on quickly 3-6 months tops I will keep a car. I may post a teaser here or there but thats about it. This one was going to be the same but decided to keep it. My daughter will start drivers Ed next spring and whelp this the perfect first car. And for the price I picked it up for I could never come close to replacing it. So here we have it. It is a 2008 328XI wagon. I drove up to Wisconsin a month ago to check it out. The previous owner was a nice guy. But I don't think he literally washed the inside or outside the entire time he had this car. The original owner(I am 3rd) lived in Barrington and it was regularly serviced by the dealer and the underside is pretty clean. So I get up there and at first glance loved the Arctic Metallic (Rare Color). Then start looking around and already could tell it was going to need a lot of work. Took it for a quick drive and well it was not the greatest experience. Had a very bad odd steering wheel feel when hitting brakes on and off and also pulled to the left when braking from speeds. So at this point I was about to walk away from the deal. The seller seemed overly motivated and asked me what I would offer. I put a low ball number out there and he was not too shocked. We ended up striking a deal and well here it is officially. I have already put a lot of time/labor into making it run like a champ. Which it does now! I have a few more goodies coming over from china to update the tech of the vehicle as well. I now have 3 wagons in my fleet. ( I GOT ISSUES)

IMG-0729.jpg

Quick List of maintenance performed
- Thrust arms, Control Arms, Endlinks, Ball joints (What a beotch those were).
- Changed Transmission Fluid and filter( It shifted weird when it was cold out. After I changed fluid no more shifting issues!)
- Wet sanded and polished headlights. ( They were so pitted and discolored it was ridiculous.
- Deep cleaned interior. Like I said it had inch layer of dust and grime.
- Changed out Cabin Filters and changed oil to Liqui Moly
- Changed out power steering fluid. It looked more like diesel fuel than power steering fluid.
- Put new Valve cover on it. It was leaking pretty good and was no longer enjoying burnt oil smells in the cabin. (Another pain in the d***ck job)
- Swapped out original steering wheel for sport wheel.
- Put Goodyear tires all around.

First Thing I wanted to sort out was the odd steering/suspension issue. I ended up tracking it down to worn out thrust arm on the driver side. While I was there I replaced control arms/ball joints/thrust arms/end links. I also changed out rotors and pads all around. It drives like a dream now straight as an arrow no issues when breaking. Did not take pictures but you can see in this photo all new hardware.
IMG-0732.jpg

Headlights After I sanded and polished. Trust me when I say these look 100% better now.
IMG-0731.jpg

Cleaned up interior. It was pretty filthy.
IMG-0735.jpg

IMG-0733.jpg

IMG-0734.jpg

Swapped out Valve Cover. I rather not do this again on a N52 motor. I have done many BMW valve covers and this just was a pain beyond belief. There is absolutely no room to get it in and out. You have to fully remove the cowl. Unplug and relocated every single wiring harness there is including fuel injectors. Then after that you have to perform a Valvetronic Motor adaptation. This goes into the eccentric shaft that sits just underneath the valve cover. You also have to be very carful removing this Valvetronic motor as it has a high spring tension. Anyhoot fired the sucker up the first time and it ran like absolute shit mohahahha. Took out my TOPDON scan tool and performed adaptation. Ran better but still was having issues. Double checked all my coils and noticed some of the electrical connectors not seated perfect. Got all that buttoned up then was throwing a code for O2 sensors. Welp of course you have to disconnect all those harnesses as well. So apparently I did not seat one perfectly. After all this work it runs like a boss again. My back is not happy with me. Getting the cover back on with out the rubber gasket that sits in the cover falling out is a chore.

Here is Nasty cover before.
IMG-0861.jpg

Engine with cover off. Its the heigh of the eccentric shaft that makes this job such a pain.
IMG-0866.jpg

Here its seated after about two minutes of swearing.
IMG-0867.jpg

All back to together
IMG-0868.jpg

And here is the sport Wheel I just put on today.
IMG-0873.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So I don't typical make threads on most cars I purchase. As I pretty much move on quickly 3-6 months tops I will keep a car. I may post a teaser here or there but thats about it. This one was going to be the same but decided to keep it. My daughter will start drivers Ed next spring and whelp this the perfect first car. And for the price I picked it up for I could never come close to replacing it. So here we have it. It is a 2008 328XI wagon. I drove up to Wisconsin a month ago to check it out. The previous owner was a nice guy. But I don't think he literally washed the inside or outside the entire time he had this car. The original owner(I am 3rd) lived in Barrington and it was regularly serviced by the dealer and the underside is pretty clean. So I get up there and at first glance loved the Arctic Metallic (Rare Color). Then start looking around and already could tell it was going to need a lot of work. Took it for a quick drive and well it was not the greatest experience. Had a very bad odd steering wheel feel when hitting brakes on and off and also pulled to the left when braking from speeds. So at this point I was about to walk away from the deal. The seller seemed overly motivated and asked me what I would offer. I put a low ball number out there and he was not too shocked. We ended up striking a deal and well here it is officially. I have already put a lot of time/labor into making it run like a champ. Which it does now! I have a few more goodies coming over from china to update the tech of the vehicle as well. I now have 3 wagons in my fleet. ( I GOT ISSUES)

View attachment 141604

Quick List of maintenance performed
- Thrust arms, Control Arms, Endlinks, Ball joints (What a beotch those were).
- Changed Transmission Fluid and filter( It shifted weird when it was cold out. After I changed fluid no more shifting issues!)
- Wet sanded and polished headlights. ( They were so pitted and discolored it was ridiculous.
- Deep cleaned interior. Like I said it had inch layer of dust and grime.
- Changed out Cabin Filters and changed oil to Liqui Moly
- Changed out power steering fluid. It looked more like diesel fuel than power steering fluid.
- Put new Valve cover on it. It was leaking pretty good and was no longer enjoying burnt oil smells in the cabin. (Another pain in the d***ck job)
- Swapped out original steering wheel for sport wheel.
- Put Goodyear tires all around.

First Thing I wanted to sort out was the odd steering/suspension issue. I ended up tracking it down to worn out thrust arm on the driver side. While I was there I replaced control arms/ball joints/thrust arms/end links. I also changed out rotors and pads all around. It drives like a dream now straight as an arrow no issues when breaking. Did not take pictures but you can see in this photo all new hardware.
View attachment 141584

Headlights After I sanded and polished. Trust me when I say these look 100% better now.
View attachment 141586

Cleaned up interior. It was pretty filthy.
View attachment 141590

View attachment 141588

View attachment 141589

Swapped out Valve Cover. I rather not do this again on a N52 motor. I have done many BMW valve covers and this just was a pain beyond belief. There is absolutely no room to get it in and out. You have to fully remove the cowl. Unplug and relocated every single wiring harness there is including fuel injectors. Then after that you have to perform a Valvetronic Motor adaptation. This goes into the eccentric shaft that sits just underneath the valve cover. You also have to be very carful removing this Valvetronic motor as it has a high spring tension. Anyhoot fired the sucker up the first time and it ran like absolute shit mohahahha. Took out my TOPDON scan tool and performed adaptation. Ran better but still was having issues. Double checked all my coils and noticed some of the electrical connectors not seated perfect. Got all that buttoned up then was throwing a code for O2 sensors. Welp of course you have to disconnect all those harnesses as well. So apparently I did not seat one perfectly. After all this work it runs like a boss again. My back is not happy with me. Getting the cover back on with out the rubber gasket that sits in the cover falling out is a chore.

Here is Nasty cover before.
View attachment 141592

Engine with cover off. Its the heigh of the eccentric shaft that makes this job such a pain.
View attachment 141602

Here its seated after about two minutes of swearing.
View attachment 141601

All back to together
View attachment 141615

And here is the sport Wheel I just put on today.
View attachment 141603

so the valve cover on my 5 series was way easier because most of it is showing

i dunno how but i didn't have the issues you had, i set the screw for it at whatever location i needed to and it was good to go.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
So if your a BMW purist you can leave this thread .:). On certain cars I will leave things factory but this ain’t one of them. I wanted a modern radio with CarPlay and all the modern goodies. Picked up a 12.3 android unit off eBay that fit the bill. The install is a pain no fault to the radio itself. But you basically have to pull everything out of the center console to get this sucker installed.I have done a similar one in the past so was fairly straight forward for me. The interface is fantastic and the OS is fast and not glitchy. I have absolutely no complaints.Looks like modern FXX series entertainment unit.

E3483990-F36D-4ED6-B618-1675C0389BD9.jpeg
3FDE21B3-5B97-47D2-9CC0-45F236FD6A71.jpeg
64CD1074-58D6-4B9E-99D5-7C1590ADF543.jpeg

I also installed a digital LCD instrument cluster from China off eBay as well. And well I could not be happier. Easy to install its crystal clear and has all options as stock and then some. Working with their technical support was breeze via WhatsApp . They sent me an upgrade file lickety split and procedure was easy as could be. Once again purist will hate it but I love it .

D4C89859-4538-4DAC-9A14-BF1358ADA44D.jpeg

C026E14D-FEC7-4FF8-BBFC-E04EA2C16D8A.jpeg

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I’m not a purist, or really even know jack shit about BMWs, but that dash upgrade is neat! Are they able to make the graphic of the car match your model (wagon and all)?

How did the Android Auto screen mount in/to the dash?
So that’s the great thing they are constantly developing the software for this cluster. And are adding features monthly which they will email customers with notifications. To answer your question that is coming in the next upgrade. :) As for radio you have to remove old CCC ugly headhunt . Then install some metal brackets and plastic mount to hold this behemoth of a screen. That said it mounts super solid with no bouncing or wobbling.

Thread Info