🔧 BUILD My 2013 F-450 XLT

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
My partner bought this a year ago with 27K miles to hot shot and got home sick after 40K miles and let it sit at home and was going to turn it in until I agreed to take over it. I like diesel trucks but can only justify this by planning on getting into commercial hauling/towing myself maybe next year. I am on the fence about keeping it stock for working or modifying the engine for more power/reliability and maybe later do rims and lift for appearance.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
IMG_8978.JPG
IMG_8983.JPG
IMG_9028.JPG
IMG_9027.JPG
IMG_9029.JPG

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

This is an absolute must and and asap.

These high pressure fuel pumps eat themselves, then send metal through the entire fuel system. Once that happens its a $9700 job for this exact truck.

The cp4 pump uses fuel to lube the lifters/cam but then that exact fuel is sent to the injection ports to be pumped directly into the rails/injectors.

This kit takes the fuel from the pump and sends it back to the tank for filtration. So yes, the pump will still fail but when it does, it will not take out the entire system and will only be a couple thousand dollar repair instead of $10k.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I have been reading up on the CP4 failures and some say it’s the modern low sulfur fuel with less lubricity while others say poor maintenance with draining water and fuel filters. What’s your ideas?

I was thinking of replacing the pump as a preventative action and since I use fuel treatment already that adds lubricity and I also change filters (using OE) routinely I was hoping I could dodge that bullet. I was even thinking of an aftermarket fuel filter/separation unit that also removes water (which they say causes the corrosion in fuel system) and air. Or I can wait and see lol. It does have an aftermarket extended warranty but I have to check on coverage. What do you think of changing the pump as preventative measure?

This is an absolute must and and asap.

These high pressure fuel pumps eat themselves, then send metal through the entire fuel system. Once that happens its a $9700 job for this exact truck.

The cp4 pump uses fuel to lube the lifters/cam but then that exact fuel is sent to the injection ports to be pumped directly into the rails/injectors.

This kit takes the fuel from the pump and sends it back to the tank for filtration. So yes, the pump will still fail but when it does, it will not take out the entire system and will only be a couple thousand dollar repair instead of $10k.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Sorry those pics were taken when I picked it up. You know it rides rough so I was hoping it was spilled beverage from a bumpy ride lol!
I have planned an exterior interior detail and I’ll post better pics.
To me it sits low. If not slight lift maybe bigger springs or airbags. It has the same GVWR as a F-350 so don’t know if I need more spring rate to tow heavy. I would want it to be able to tow up to 30k without sagging too much.
i wouldn't lift it

also who got excited near the front center folding seat

masturbating shake it GIF by Smasher Network

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I have been reading up on the CP4 failures and some say it’s the modern low sulfur fuel with less lubricity while others say poor maintenance with draining water and fuel filters. What’s your ideas?

I was thinking of replacing the pump as a preventative action and since I use fuel treatment already that adds lubricity and I also change filters (using OE) routinely I was hoping I could dodge that bullet. I was even thinking of an aftermarket fuel filter/separation unit that also removes water (which they say causes the corrosion in fuel system) and air. Or I can wait and see lol. It does have an aftermarket extended warranty but I have to check on coverage. What do you think of changing the pump as preventative measure?
Yea you could change the pump, you could also do a CP3 conversion.

You're good on additive I know that.

Filters I would change every 15k miles, oil every 5k. But drain the water in fuel monthly

Reactions: rowekmr

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I would not add any other filtration. The factory filtration is absolutely great, with 1 exception and that is air. The pumps produce alot of turbulence and therefore air bubbles are formed.

If air dogs and fass systems weren't such pieces of shit I'd recommend one but I would never ever run one of those on any of my trucks.

As for ULSD being blamed, yea it's a big contributor. But I've got CP3 pumps out there with 600k miles and no issue. ULSD isn't killing them. Bosch made a shit pump

The cp4 failure was on Bosch and the OE's that chose to outfit their engines for it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Sorry those pics were taken when I picked it up. You know it rides rough so I was hoping it was spilled beverage from a bumpy ride lol!
I have planned an exterior interior detail and I’ll post better pics.
To me it sits low. If not slight lift maybe bigger springs or airbags. It has the same GVWR as a F-350 so don’t know if I need more spring rate to tow heavy. I would want it to be able to tow up to 30k without sagging too much.

what's nice is it likely fits through a 7' tall something currently.

30k is a lot.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I pull 30k with my f350 fairly often. It's not fun, but I'm sure the duals and more spring would help.

Question for you if you don't mind me asking. Why do people commercial haul with a pickup instead of getting a semi? To me, it seems like a semi will haul more, maybe cheaper initially, make more money, less maintenance, etc...

My wife deals a lot with shipping at her work, and she hates it when a hotshot shows up.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I pull 30k with my f350 fairly often. It's not fun, but I'm sure the duals and more spring would help.

Question for you if you don't mind me asking. Why do people commercial haul with a pickup instead of getting a semi? To me, it seems like a semi will haul more, maybe cheaper initially, make more money, less maintenance, etc...

My wife deals a lot with shipping at her work, and she hates it when a hotshot shows up.
Have you seen half the people that hot shot..?

Most of them probably don't have licenses let alone a CDL.

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago

Definitely don't mind...
I can't answer for others but I can give you some of my reasons:
More people are comfortable driving a pick up truck towing a trailer than semi. Lower clearance, quieter, more creature comforts, etc
Easier to find and train a driver if you plan on hiring employees
Higher empty mpg's (I can get 19mpg highway)
Pickup truck can be repaired at dealers or independent shops that are plentiful.
I like the 4x4 capability of pick up trucks for 4 seasons of operation.
When not towing a trailer pick up is easier to drive and use as a daily like grocery shopping or picking up kids from school. Can you imaging taking wife out for dinner and parking a Peterbuilt at a restaurant?
I can carry 5 passengers with this for a total of 6 all with seatbelts.
Many town/city's prohibit semi's parking in non commercial spots (ie not in front of your house)
Even with the problems of the later model emission pick up trucks I believe I can buy a used engine/trans/turbo easier and cheaper than I can for a later model emission semi.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against semis. I would like to diversify and add a semi also but it will be a pre emissions Detroit Diesel Series 60. There's plenty complaints on the emission HDT engines too. I also have a (pre emissions DT466E) box truck, this and if later a semi I will have multiple options on transport. I learned from successful trucking companies that have multiple platforms to tow and multiple types of trailers to cover more markets. I am not planning on doing hard core trucking or I would have started with semi with sleeper. I've pull single and doubles with a semi so not a stranger to them its just this is my chosen entry point.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
If they have more than a 14k gvwr trailer, they would need a CDL anyways.
Some/many states require a CDL with a 10K GVWR trailer that is why many trailers have GVWR of 9,999 to side step that. Some states require CDL if loaded weight of trailer is 10,000. Or some states require CDL when the combined GVWR of truck and trailer is 26,000. But there's some drivers that do non CDL hauling and do quite well.

Reactions: GTPpower

Thread Info