Moving Back to IL: Real Estate Gurus Step-in

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Nothing at all, but the wife and I can't find what we want in our price range in the DG area. We're looking for a 4 bed, 2+ bath, 2,000+ sq. ft., 2-3 car garage home less than 20 years old that is pretty much move in ready.

And each of those 'requirements' cannot be sacrificed? Cutting your commute distance from 15-25 miles to under 5 miles is a pretty big deal.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
And each of those 'requirements' cannot be sacrificed? Cutting your commute distance from 15-25 miles to under 5 miles is a pretty big deal.

Do you have kids? A 1,500 sq ft. house really isn't much space for two adults and two kids. We want to find something where we don't have to move in a few years, i.e. settling down somewhere. Even toning my "requirements" down, there are are only two homes within 5 miles of the DG area, which are 30k more (and need work) and a handful more that are 50k-60k more than my max purchase price. Not to mention property taxes being 2k-4k higher per year. That's a huge jump in a mortgage that I don't want ($350 - $650/month).

I've had long commutes my entire life (18-50 miles one way) with the exception of my current job, which is in a small town in the the middle of nowhere and my high school job. Also, I can't say that I'll be with my current employer forever.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Okay, so Downers Grove is not in your price range, even with making sacrifices, thats fine.

Have you looked at Wheaton? A cousin of mine purchased there recently and seems to be quite happy with it. He found a great American Four Square with a big yard, detached two car garage, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a full basement for $265K.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Okay, so Downers Grove is not in your price range, even with making sacrifices, thats fine.

Have you looked at Wheaton? A cousin of mine purchased there recently and seems to be quite happy with it. He found a great American Four Square with a big yard, detached two car garage, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a full basement for $265K.

Sounds like your cousin got a deal, but the price range I want to be in is much lower than 265k. My wife is a stay at home mom so I am the only income, which is why I don't want to bury myself in a high mortgage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info