Motor Trend - Camaro ZL1 vs Mustang BOSS 302 Laguna Seca on the Track

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Even the Ford GT, wasn't all that "technologically" advanced, was more of a bruiser than anything.

Ford started development around 2002. Tires and brakes have changed a TON. The Ford GT ran 7:40.8 at the Ring. I’d think that with some modern tires (Pilot Cup Sports) and Carbon Brakes, it would be interesting. I’d think that just tires would put it in the low 7:30’s

...What makes the ZL1 work so well is the technology transfer. Ford doesn’t currently have a supercar to borrow parts from.
True, but they also don't have a car reputation that needs protecting so the sky is the limit with Mustang. I always felt there should be a 2 seater Mustang (perhaps the Thunderbird name) and a supercar GT in place.
Even the Ford GT, wasn't all that "technologically" advanced, was more of a bruiser than anything.
It put literally everything it faced (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.) on the trailer.
they got wise and decided to stick to with battling GM.
With the current management they have in place they are all to happy attempting to mimick Toyota (not Lexus, that would require an investment in a cutting edge RWD platform).
Ford beat Ferarri at LeMans. If they wanted to, they'd put the GTR back on the boat to Japan for re-development.
Not with the current "ford" and the Alan running the company.
Ford started development around 2002. Tires and brakes have changed a TON. The Ford GT ran 7:40.8 at the Ring. I’d think that with some modern tires (Pilot Cup Sports) and Carbon Brakes, it would be interesting. I’d think that just tires would put it in the low 7:30’s
If all they did was bring back the Ford GT untouched, except for modern tire and carbon ceramic brakes the car would be in the hunt. But it goes back to the current management team at Ford, that actually cut Ford GT production short. That was Jac Nassar's baby.
I want to see one too. I don't like that they were talking about a hybrid type powertrain for the successor. A Twin Turbo Forged 5.0L would be perfectly fine.
Not hybrid crap please!
Fuck the 5.0 and just go straight to a twin turbo DOHC 6.2
I concur.
Is the 6.2 still more heavily based on the old 3V 5.4?
Yup, the same 5.4 that was a world beater in Ford GT!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info