Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Fuck it, whatever.

So we initially thought I had bad valves. It was the best guess without pulling the head off. But since parts were taking forever, car remained together so that it could be moved. Once the head finally came off, we discovered that I had hurt cylinder 3's piston (was hard to tell with a scope because of carbon build up, etc) and injector #3 had metal clogging it all up (thankfully I had already ordered a new set of DI injectors). Luckily, the cylinder didn't take any damage and all that was needed was a piston. Valves were burnt too.

Unfortunately, VW had ZERO OEM pistons in stock in the entire country and wouldn't until mid October. So I briefly considered building the bottom end....but that idea went to shit when I discovered the rods I wanted were out of stock....everywhere. So back to the drawing board. Fast forward to late last week and I procured a super low mileage long block for a grand. Deal of the decade right there. So cylinder 3 on my motor is getting cleaned up and then dropping a piston into that (engine doesnt have to be pulled to remove or install). Slap everything back together and car should be good as new. Then, over the winter I will build the short block on the engine I just bought. I'll be able to flip the head, pistons and rods and basically pay for the motor I just bought, winning.

Theres smaller details as well that but none worth sharing.

TLDR: Injector failed, piston failed, rest of the bottom end is in great shape, parts have finally arrived and car should be home soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info